New Syrian Govt to Suspend Constitution, Parliament for Three Months

Syrians raise the victory sign and wave Syrian flags in celebration of the fall of President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Umayyad Square in Damascus, December 11, 2024 (EPA)
Syrians raise the victory sign and wave Syrian flags in celebration of the fall of President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Umayyad Square in Damascus, December 11, 2024 (EPA)
TT

New Syrian Govt to Suspend Constitution, Parliament for Three Months

Syrians raise the victory sign and wave Syrian flags in celebration of the fall of President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Umayyad Square in Damascus, December 11, 2024 (EPA)
Syrians raise the victory sign and wave Syrian flags in celebration of the fall of President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Umayyad Square in Damascus, December 11, 2024 (EPA)

Syria’s new government spokesman said that the country’s constitution and parliament would be suspended during a three-month transition.
"A judicial and human rights committee will be established to examine the constitution and then introduce amendments," Obaida Arnaout said.
Arnaout’s comments come as the G7 leaders are set to meet virtually Friday to discuss the momentous changes underway in Syria, where the interim government has vowed to institute the "rule of law" after years of abuses under ousted president Bashar al-Assad.
Assad fled Syria after a lightning offensive spearheaded by the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) group and its allies, which brought a sudden end to five decades of repressive rule by his clan.
Syrians across the country and around the world erupted in celebration after enduring an era in which suspected dissidents were jailed or killed, and nearly 14 years of war that killed more than 500,000 people and displaced millions.
The United Nations humanitarian agency OCHA said Thursday that 1.1 million people, mostly women and children, had been displaced since the opposition factions launched their offensive on November 27.
The new government's spokesman told AFP on Thursday that the country's constitution and parliament would be suspended during a three-month transition.
He said that "a judicial and human rights committee will be established to examine the constitution and then introduce amendments".
Speaking at the state television headquarters, seized by the new opposition authorities, Arnaout said they would institute the "rule of law".
"All those who committed crimes against the Syrian people will be judged in accordance with the law," he added.
Asked about religious and personal freedoms, Arnaout said: "We respect religious and cultural diversity in Syria".
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, on a visit to Türkiye, urged Syrian actors to take "all feasible steps to protect civilians, including members of minority groups", State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said.
Warning against 'additional conflicts'
Speaking earlier Thursday in Jordan, Blinken stressed the importance of "not sparking any additional conflicts".
He made the comments after mentioning recent Israeli and Turkish military activity on Syrian soil.
Washington hopes to ensure that Syria is not "used as a base for terrorism" and does not pose "a threat to its neighbors", added Blinken, whose country has hundreds of troops in Syria as part of a coalition against ISIS group extremists.
This has been a concern both for Türkiye, which resents the US military alliance with Syrian Kurds, and Israel, which has been pounding military sites across its historic adversary since Assad fell.
UN chief Antonio Guterres is "particularly concerned" by the Israeli strikes, his spokesman said.
On Thursday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor reported Israeli strikes near Damascus, where AFP correspondents said they heard loud explosions.
Leaders of the Group of Seven democratic powers, whose virtual meeting is scheduled for 1430 GMT Friday, said they were ready to support the transition to an "inclusive and non-sectarian" government in Syria.
They called for the protection of human rights, including those of women and minorities, while emphasizing "the importance of holding the Assad regime accountable for its crimes".
- UN list of perpetrators -
On Thursday, hundreds of Syrians buried outspoken activist Mazen al-Hamada, who in the Netherlands had publicly testified on the torture he faced while in prison in Syria.
He later returned, and his body was among more than 30 found in a Damascus hospital morgue this week.
The joy sparked by Assad's overthrow has been accompanied by uncertainty about the future of the multi-ethnic, multi-faith country.
The new rulers have also pledged justice for the victims of Assad's rule.
HTS leader Abu Mohammed al-Jolani, now using his real name Ahmed al-Sharaa, urged "countries to hand over any of those criminals who may have fled so they can be brought to justice".
UN investigators said they have compiled secret lists of 4,000 perpetrators of serious crimes in Syria since the early days of the country's civil war.
The US Justice Department on Thursday charged the former head of Damascus Central Prison, Samir Ousman Alsheikh, with torturing opponents of Assad.
The Syrian leadership said it was ready to cooperate with Washington to look for US citizens who disappeared under Assad, including on an "ongoing" search for US journalist Austin Tice, who was abducted in 2012.
The top US diplomat also said Washington was "working to bring home" American Travis Timmerman, after Syria's leadership announced he had been released.
'Remaining hopeful'
The UN's World Food Program called for $250 million for food assistance for displaced and vulnerable people in Syria over the next six months.
Jordan announced it will host a Syria crisis summit on Saturday that will include foreign ministers from numerous Western and Arab nations as well as Türkiye.
After Assad's Baath party, a feared instrument of repression, on Wednesday announced suspension of its activities, members like Maher Semsmieh, 43, turned in their weapons -- and turned on the party.
"We are no longer Baathists," he said with a smile, explaining people had been "obliged" to belong.
Assad was propped up by Russia -- where a senior Russian official told US media he had fled -- as well as Iran and Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group.
The opposition launched their offensive on November 27, the same day a ceasefire took effect in the Israel-Hezbollah war, which saw Israel inflict staggering losses on Assad's Lebanese ally.
Israel on Sunday said it had ordered troops into the UN-patrolled buffer zone that separates Israeli and Syrian forces on the Golan Heights, in a move the UN said violated a 1974 armistice.
"I don't think anything worse than his regime could exist," Talal Abu Saleh, 69, told AFP of Assad.
"There is always uncertainty, but I insist on remaining hopeful."



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.