New Syrian Govt to Suspend Constitution, Parliament for Three Months

Syrians raise the victory sign and wave Syrian flags in celebration of the fall of President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Umayyad Square in Damascus, December 11, 2024 (EPA)
Syrians raise the victory sign and wave Syrian flags in celebration of the fall of President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Umayyad Square in Damascus, December 11, 2024 (EPA)
TT

New Syrian Govt to Suspend Constitution, Parliament for Three Months

Syrians raise the victory sign and wave Syrian flags in celebration of the fall of President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Umayyad Square in Damascus, December 11, 2024 (EPA)
Syrians raise the victory sign and wave Syrian flags in celebration of the fall of President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Umayyad Square in Damascus, December 11, 2024 (EPA)

Syria’s new government spokesman said that the country’s constitution and parliament would be suspended during a three-month transition.
"A judicial and human rights committee will be established to examine the constitution and then introduce amendments," Obaida Arnaout said.
Arnaout’s comments come as the G7 leaders are set to meet virtually Friday to discuss the momentous changes underway in Syria, where the interim government has vowed to institute the "rule of law" after years of abuses under ousted president Bashar al-Assad.
Assad fled Syria after a lightning offensive spearheaded by the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) group and its allies, which brought a sudden end to five decades of repressive rule by his clan.
Syrians across the country and around the world erupted in celebration after enduring an era in which suspected dissidents were jailed or killed, and nearly 14 years of war that killed more than 500,000 people and displaced millions.
The United Nations humanitarian agency OCHA said Thursday that 1.1 million people, mostly women and children, had been displaced since the opposition factions launched their offensive on November 27.
The new government's spokesman told AFP on Thursday that the country's constitution and parliament would be suspended during a three-month transition.
He said that "a judicial and human rights committee will be established to examine the constitution and then introduce amendments".
Speaking at the state television headquarters, seized by the new opposition authorities, Arnaout said they would institute the "rule of law".
"All those who committed crimes against the Syrian people will be judged in accordance with the law," he added.
Asked about religious and personal freedoms, Arnaout said: "We respect religious and cultural diversity in Syria".
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, on a visit to Türkiye, urged Syrian actors to take "all feasible steps to protect civilians, including members of minority groups", State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said.
Warning against 'additional conflicts'
Speaking earlier Thursday in Jordan, Blinken stressed the importance of "not sparking any additional conflicts".
He made the comments after mentioning recent Israeli and Turkish military activity on Syrian soil.
Washington hopes to ensure that Syria is not "used as a base for terrorism" and does not pose "a threat to its neighbors", added Blinken, whose country has hundreds of troops in Syria as part of a coalition against ISIS group extremists.
This has been a concern both for Türkiye, which resents the US military alliance with Syrian Kurds, and Israel, which has been pounding military sites across its historic adversary since Assad fell.
UN chief Antonio Guterres is "particularly concerned" by the Israeli strikes, his spokesman said.
On Thursday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor reported Israeli strikes near Damascus, where AFP correspondents said they heard loud explosions.
Leaders of the Group of Seven democratic powers, whose virtual meeting is scheduled for 1430 GMT Friday, said they were ready to support the transition to an "inclusive and non-sectarian" government in Syria.
They called for the protection of human rights, including those of women and minorities, while emphasizing "the importance of holding the Assad regime accountable for its crimes".
- UN list of perpetrators -
On Thursday, hundreds of Syrians buried outspoken activist Mazen al-Hamada, who in the Netherlands had publicly testified on the torture he faced while in prison in Syria.
He later returned, and his body was among more than 30 found in a Damascus hospital morgue this week.
The joy sparked by Assad's overthrow has been accompanied by uncertainty about the future of the multi-ethnic, multi-faith country.
The new rulers have also pledged justice for the victims of Assad's rule.
HTS leader Abu Mohammed al-Jolani, now using his real name Ahmed al-Sharaa, urged "countries to hand over any of those criminals who may have fled so they can be brought to justice".
UN investigators said they have compiled secret lists of 4,000 perpetrators of serious crimes in Syria since the early days of the country's civil war.
The US Justice Department on Thursday charged the former head of Damascus Central Prison, Samir Ousman Alsheikh, with torturing opponents of Assad.
The Syrian leadership said it was ready to cooperate with Washington to look for US citizens who disappeared under Assad, including on an "ongoing" search for US journalist Austin Tice, who was abducted in 2012.
The top US diplomat also said Washington was "working to bring home" American Travis Timmerman, after Syria's leadership announced he had been released.
'Remaining hopeful'
The UN's World Food Program called for $250 million for food assistance for displaced and vulnerable people in Syria over the next six months.
Jordan announced it will host a Syria crisis summit on Saturday that will include foreign ministers from numerous Western and Arab nations as well as Türkiye.
After Assad's Baath party, a feared instrument of repression, on Wednesday announced suspension of its activities, members like Maher Semsmieh, 43, turned in their weapons -- and turned on the party.
"We are no longer Baathists," he said with a smile, explaining people had been "obliged" to belong.
Assad was propped up by Russia -- where a senior Russian official told US media he had fled -- as well as Iran and Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group.
The opposition launched their offensive on November 27, the same day a ceasefire took effect in the Israel-Hezbollah war, which saw Israel inflict staggering losses on Assad's Lebanese ally.
Israel on Sunday said it had ordered troops into the UN-patrolled buffer zone that separates Israeli and Syrian forces on the Golan Heights, in a move the UN said violated a 1974 armistice.
"I don't think anything worse than his regime could exist," Talal Abu Saleh, 69, told AFP of Assad.
"There is always uncertainty, but I insist on remaining hopeful."



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.