Syria’s Sharaa Says Armed Factions Will Be ‘Disbanded’

Leader of Syria's Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) group Ahmad al-Sharaa addresses a crowd at the capital's landmark Umayyad Mosque on December 8, 2024. (AFP)
Leader of Syria's Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) group Ahmad al-Sharaa addresses a crowd at the capital's landmark Umayyad Mosque on December 8, 2024. (AFP)
TT

Syria’s Sharaa Says Armed Factions Will Be ‘Disbanded’

Leader of Syria's Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) group Ahmad al-Sharaa addresses a crowd at the capital's landmark Umayyad Mosque on December 8, 2024. (AFP)
Leader of Syria's Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) group Ahmad al-Sharaa addresses a crowd at the capital's landmark Umayyad Mosque on December 8, 2024. (AFP)

Syria's armed factions will be "disbanded," the head of the group that led the ouster of Bashar al-Assad has pledged, as the former president denounced the country's new rulers as "terrorists".

Assad fled Syria on December 8, as opposition fighters led by the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) group captured the capital Damascus, ending decades of brutal dictatorship and years of civil war.

HTS leader Abu Mohammed al-Golani, now using his real name Ahmad al-Sharaa, has sought to reassure minorities at home and governments abroad that the country's interim leaders will protect all Syrians, as well as state institutions.

Meeting Monday with members of the Druze community, he said all armed factions would "be disbanded and the fighters trained to join the ranks of the defense ministry."

"All will be subject to the law," he added, according to posts on the group's Telegram channel.

He also emphasized the need for unity in the multi-ethnic and multi-confessional country.

"Syria must remain united," he said. "There must be a social contract between the state and all religions to guarantee social justice".

The comments came shortly after Assad broke his silence for the first time since fleeing Syria to Russia, claiming he had been evacuated from a military base at Moscow's request.

Russia, along with Iran and Lebanon's Hezbollah, helped prop up Assad's rule.

"My departure from Syria was neither planned nor did it occur during the final hours of the battles, as some have claimed," said a statement from Assad on the ousted presidency's Telegram channel.

"Moscow requested that the base's command arrange an immediate evacuation to Russia," he added.

"When the state falls into the hands of terrorism and the ability to make a meaningful contribution is lost, any position becomes void of purpose."

However, five former officials have told AFP that Assad departed Syria hours before opposition forces seized Damascus.

- 'Massive flow' -

The collapse of Assad's rule stunned the world and sparked celebrations around Syria and beyond, after his crackdown on democracy protests in 2011 led to one of the deadliest wars of the century.

But he leaves behind a country scarred by decades of torture, disappearances and summary executions, as well as economic mismanagement that has left 70 percent of the population in need of aid.

United Nations aid chief Tom Fletcher on Monday urged a "massive flow of support" into Syria.

The international community should "rally around" the Syrian people, he added.

Syria's economy remains constrained by punishing US and European sanctions, and Western powers are still determining how to engage with HTS.

The group is rooted in Al-Qaeda's Syrian branch and designated a terrorist group by several governments.

Meeting Monday with a delegation of British diplomats, Sharaa stressed the need to end "all sanctions imposed on Syria so that Syrian refugees can return to their country", the group's Telegram channel said.

Foreign governments have begun cautious engagements with Syria's new interim rulers.

Türkiye and Qatar have reopened embassies in Damascus, while US and British officials have launched communications with Syrian officials.

And the EU's top diplomat arrived in Damascus on Monday for meetings.

"We can't leave a vacuum," EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said in Brussels about the trip, warning that Russia and Iran "should not have a place in Syria's future."

However, she said lifting sanctions and removing HTS from an EU blacklist would depend on "when we see positive steps, not the words, but actual steps and deeds from the new leadership."

- 'We lived in misery' -

At the coastal port of Tartus on Monday, Russian troops loaded a truck at the entrance to the port they control.

HTS fighters manned a nearby checkpoint and said they were under orders not to approach the Russians, whose flag still flies over a military enclave in the terminal.

Far from the carefully stage-managed diplomatic discussions in meeting rooms, thousands of Syrians are still engaged in the desperate search for information about loved ones who disappeared during Assad's rule.

Some emerged from days, months or even years of imprisonment as opposition forces threw open prisons during their advance. But others remain ghosts for now.

"We want our children, alive, dead, burned, ashes, buried in mass graves... just tell us," Ayoush Hassan, 66, told AFP at the notorious Seydnaya prison.

She travelled to the prison in Damascus from her home in northern Syria, but could find no trace of her missing son.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor says more than 100,000 people died in Syria's jails and detention centers from 2011.

The war sparked by Assad's crackdown on the revolt killed more than 500,000 people and forced more than half the population to flee their homes.

His departure has allowed ordinary Syrians a look at the lavish lifestyle enjoyed by the ruling elites even as the country sank into poverty.

"To think that he spent all that money and we lived in misery," said Mudar Ghanem, 26, an ex-prisoner who was touring Assad's white-marbled home in Latakia.

Assad's fall has not brought all conflict in the country to an end however, with both Israel and Türkiye carrying out strikes since his ouster.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Monday that Israel has carried out more than 470 strikes on military sites in Syria since Assad fled.

The United States also said it carried out air strikes in Syria on Monday that killed a dozen ISIS group fighters, as it tries to prevent the group from capitalizing on Assad's fall.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.