157,000 Sudanese Students Unable to Take Secondary Certificate Exams Over War

Students sitting for exams in Port Sudan Saturday (AFP)
Students sitting for exams in Port Sudan Saturday (AFP)
TT

157,000 Sudanese Students Unable to Take Secondary Certificate Exams Over War

Students sitting for exams in Port Sudan Saturday (AFP)
Students sitting for exams in Port Sudan Saturday (AFP)

Amid widespread confusion and deep concerns, Sudan’s secondary certificate exams began on Saturday in select parts of the country and abroad. However, approximately 157,000 students from regions under the control of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) were unable to sit for the tests, raising fears of an unprecedented educational divide.

According to the Ministry of Education, over 343,000 students—around 70% of the approximately 500,000 registered candidates—are expected to take the postponed 2023 exams. This figure may decrease further due to the loss of thousands of seating numbers and the postponement of exams in South and West Kordofan. Official statistics confirm that 157,000 students were excluded from sitting for their tests due to the ongoing war.

Education has become a significant casualty of the war, which has raged for over 20 months. The government, now operating out of Port Sudan, resolved to conduct the exams in areas under army control, despite RSF objections. The RSF warned that this decision could have dire consequences for thousands of students and exacerbate divisions within the country.

Fears are mounting over potential attacks on exam centers, especially in conflict-ridden areas like Karari in Omdurman, north of Khartoum, where intense artillery shelling has persisted. Similar concerns extend to other regions near the conflict zones.

The Ministry of Education, however, assured that robust security measures have been implemented to protect centers in safer states, including Northern State, River Nile, Gedaref, Kassala, and North Kordofan.

Qareeb Allah Mohamed, the acting Minister of Education in Khartoum State, told Asharq Al-Awsat that seating numbers had been issued to all students wishing to take the exams. He affirmed that all necessary preparations were completed to accommodate candidates in Khartoum and other states.

Sami Al-Baqer, spokesperson for the Independent Teachers’ Union, criticized the decision of the Port Sudan-based government to conduct exams under the current circumstances. He argued that poor organization and timing had effectively denied over 60% of students their right to participate.

He held the government fully responsible for the potential consequences of its decision, stating that these exams pose risks to students, teachers, and the country.

Union statistics indicate that tens of thousands of students across eight states—Darfur, Greater Kordofan, parts of Khartoum, Gezira, and other insecure regions—are unable to sit for the exams.

Students in RSF-controlled areas were not the only ones affected. Authorities in Chad also declined to host exams for approximately 13,000 students from Sudan’s Darfur region, which borders Chad.

Ahmed Khalifa, Sudan’s acting Minister of Education, had previously announced that students unable to sit for these exams would have another opportunity in March, with plans for additional exams to ensure their integration into the same academic cohort.

Since the outbreak of war between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the RSF in April 2023, education has been entirely disrupted in conflict zones, while classes have resumed in safer areas.

According to UNICEF, the ongoing war has prevented 12 million Sudanese students at all educational levels from continuing their studies.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.