Syria: Elaborate Military Tunnel Complex Linked to Assad's Palace

A fighter affiliated with Syria's new administration carries the decapitated head of an equestrian statue of Bassel al-Assad, brother of toppled president Bashar al-Assad, removed from the abandoned Republican Guard base on Mount Qasyun. Bakr ALKASEM / AFP
A fighter affiliated with Syria's new administration carries the decapitated head of an equestrian statue of Bassel al-Assad, brother of toppled president Bashar al-Assad, removed from the abandoned Republican Guard base on Mount Qasyun. Bakr ALKASEM / AFP
TT

Syria: Elaborate Military Tunnel Complex Linked to Assad's Palace

A fighter affiliated with Syria's new administration carries the decapitated head of an equestrian statue of Bassel al-Assad, brother of toppled president Bashar al-Assad, removed from the abandoned Republican Guard base on Mount Qasyun. Bakr ALKASEM / AFP
A fighter affiliated with Syria's new administration carries the decapitated head of an equestrian statue of Bassel al-Assad, brother of toppled president Bashar al-Assad, removed from the abandoned Republican Guard base on Mount Qasyun. Bakr ALKASEM / AFP

On the slopes of Mount Qasyun which overlooks Damascus, a network of tunnels links a military complex, tasked with defending the Syrian capital, to the presidential palace facing it.
The tunnels, seen by an AFP correspondent, are among secrets of president Bashar al-Assad's rule exposed since the opposition toppled him on December 8.

"We entered this enormous barracks of the Republican Guard after the liberation" of Damascus sent Assad fleeing to Moscow, said Mohammad Abu Salim, a military official from Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), the dominant group in the alliance that overthrew Assad.

"We found a vast network of tunnels which lead to the presidential palace" on a neighboring hill, Salim said.

During Assad's rule, Qasyun was off limits to the people of Damascus because it was an ideal location for snipers -- the great view includes the presidential palaces and other government buildings.

It was also from this mountain that artillery units for years pounded opposition-held areas at the gates of the capital.

An AFP correspondent entered the Guard complex of two bunkers containing vast rooms reserved for its soldiers. The bunkers were equipped with telecommunications gear, electricity, a ventilation system and weapons supplies.

Other simpler tunnels were dug out of the rock to hold ammunition.

Despite such elaborate facilities, Syria's army collapsed, with troops abandoning tanks and other gear as opposition fighters advanced from their northern stronghold to the capital in less than two weeks,.

On the grounds of the Guard complex a statue of the president's brother Bassel al-Assad, atop a horse, has been toppled and Bassel's head severed.

Bassel al-Assad died in a 1994 road accident. He had been the presumed successor to his father Hafez al-Assad who set up the paranoid, secretive, repressive system of government that Bashar inherited when his father died in 2000.

In the immense Guard camp now, former opposition fighters use pictures of Bashar al-Assad and his father for target practice.

Tanks and heavy weapons still sit under arched stone shelters.

Resembling a macabre outdoor art installation, large empty rusted barrels with attached fins pointing skyward are lined up on the ground, their explosives further away.

"The regime used these barrels to bomb civilians in the north of Syria," Abu Salim said.

The United Nations denounced Bashar's use of such weapons dropped from helicopters or airplanes against civilian areas held by Assad's opponents during Syria's years-long civil war that began in 2011.



Gaza Aid Flotilla Says Israeli Forces Intercepted 41 Vessels, 10 Still Sailing

Boats taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aims to reach Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade, set sail from a port in the southern Turkish resort of Marmaris, Türkiye, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Boats taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aims to reach Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade, set sail from a port in the southern Turkish resort of Marmaris, Türkiye, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Gaza Aid Flotilla Says Israeli Forces Intercepted 41 Vessels, 10 Still Sailing

Boats taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aims to reach Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade, set sail from a port in the southern Turkish resort of Marmaris, Türkiye, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Boats taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla, which aims to reach Gaza and break Israel’s naval blockade, set sail from a port in the southern Turkish resort of Marmaris, Türkiye, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)

The organizers of an aid flotilla bound for Gaza said on Tuesday Israeli forces had intercepted 41 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean, with 10 vessels still sailing toward the enclave.

The closest vessel to Gaza, Sirius, was 145 ‌nautical miles away, ‌the group said.

Israel's ‌foreign ⁠ministry had said ⁠on X on Monday that it "will not allow any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza".

Speaking in Ankara late on Monday, ⁠Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned ‌the intervention ‌against the "voyagers of hope" in the ‌flotilla and called on the ‌international community to act against Israel's actions.

Ships from the Global Sumud Flotilla had set sail for ‌a third time on Thursday from southern Türkiye, after ⁠earlier attempts ⁠to deliver aid to Gaza were intercepted by Israel in international waters.

The group said there were 426 people taking part in the 54-vessel flotilla from 39 countries.

Israel's foreign ministry has called on "all participants in this provocation to change course and turn back immediately".


Govt's ‘Wheat Pricing’ Fuels Farmer Protests across Syrian Provinces

Syrians roast wheat in the town of Binnish, in the countryside of Idlib province in northwestern Syria (file photo - AFP) 
Syrians roast wheat in the town of Binnish, in the countryside of Idlib province in northwestern Syria (file photo - AFP) 
TT

Govt's ‘Wheat Pricing’ Fuels Farmer Protests across Syrian Provinces

Syrians roast wheat in the town of Binnish, in the countryside of Idlib province in northwestern Syria (file photo - AFP) 
Syrians roast wheat in the town of Binnish, in the countryside of Idlib province in northwestern Syria (file photo - AFP) 

Hundreds of farmers staged protests for a second consecutive day across several Syrian provinces over the government’s wheat purchase price for the current harvest season, denouncing it as unfair and insufficient to cover production costs.

Demonstrators warned the pricing policy would discourage wheat cultivation and called for the dismissal of the economy minister, saying the decision threatened farmers’ livelihoods at a time when Syria is already grappling with deep economic hardship.

The Ministry of Economy and Industry recently set the purchase price for first-grade durum wheat for the 2026 season at 46,000 Syrian pounds per ton in the country’s new currency — about $330 at the exchange rate on the day of the announcement, based on the parallel market rate of 138 pounds to the dollar.

The decision sparked anger among farmers, particularly in eastern and northern Syria — the country’s main wheat-producing region.

Khalil al-Nuaimi, an agricultural engineer and farmer, told Asharq Al-Awsat that growers had pinned high hopes on this year’s harvest following heavy rainfall, after years of drought, war and destruction.

“Farmers were hoping to repay debts and improve their living conditions, but the pricing decision crushed those hopes,” he said.

Al-Nuaimi, who lives in Raqqa province, said most farmers borrow money to finance cultivation and repay loans after the harvest. He added that many rural families postpone major life decisions until the wheat season ends, including engagements, weddings, medical treatment, home repairs and vehicle purchases.

“A decision like this has serious social consequences,” he underlined.

He accused the government of failing to consider the impact of the measure, particularly in eastern and northern Syria, where many residents already feel economically and politically marginalized.

Al-Nuaimi also pointed to what he described as a major discrepancy between production costs and the new pricing policy. He noted that the government had earlier set the price of wheat seed for the 2025-2026 season at $500 per ton, while the official purchase price for harvested wheat was lower.

“This is a gap farmers cannot absorb,” he said, adding that even raising the purchase price to $500 per ton would not fully offset losses because of exchange-rate volatility and grading-based pricing.

He continued that while the government faced a severe economic crisis, “supporting farmers is an essential part of supporting rural development and a cornerstone of the economy in an agricultural country like Syria.”

State media said the government defended the new pricing by arguing it was aligned with global wheat prices and exceeded them by around 10 percent to support local farmers and offset transportation and labor costs.

Following the announcement, hundreds of farmers protested on Sunday and Monday in the provinces of Raqqa, Deir Ezzor, Hasakeh, Daraa, Hama and Idlib, as well as other wheat-growing areas.

Protesters rejected comparisons with international prices, arguing that production conditions in Syria — devastated by years of war and drought — were not comparable to those in other countries.

The conflict and prolonged drought have severely damaged Syria’s agricultural sector, transforming the country from a wheat exporter into a wheat importer.

Eight Kurdish political parties in Hasakeh province also rejected the new pricing, describing it as “unrealistic” and warning of “negative repercussions for food security and economic and social stability.”

Syria needs around 2.55 million tons of wheat annually to meet basic consumption needs and maintain bread supplies.

During the 18-month transitional period, Syria imported around 1.3 million tons of wheat, mainly from Russia and Ukraine. The government is counting on this year’s harvest to fully meet domestic demand.

 

 


Lebanon Between Two Truces: More Than 100 Evacuation Warnings, 970 Homes Destroyed

Mourners attend the funeral of two Lebanese Civil Defense members killed in an Israeli strike on the city of Nabatieh on May 13, 2026. (Reuters) 
Mourners attend the funeral of two Lebanese Civil Defense members killed in an Israeli strike on the city of Nabatieh on May 13, 2026. (Reuters) 
TT

Lebanon Between Two Truces: More Than 100 Evacuation Warnings, 970 Homes Destroyed

Mourners attend the funeral of two Lebanese Civil Defense members killed in an Israeli strike on the city of Nabatieh on May 13, 2026. (Reuters) 
Mourners attend the funeral of two Lebanese Civil Defense members killed in an Israeli strike on the city of Nabatieh on May 13, 2026. (Reuters) 

Field data gathered since the Lebanon-Israel ceasefire took effect on April 17 shows the truce has brought little calm on the ground. Southern areas have remained under strikes, evacuation warnings and continued destruction, reinforcing the view that the military operations have shifted from broad confrontation to sustained military and security pressure.

Asharq Al-Awsat documented around 41 villages and border points that Israel still controls, occupies or maintains positions in or around since the latest war and the ensuing field arrangements. More than 100 evacuation warnings were issued during the period, including 104 alerts targeting villages and towns across the South, Nabatieh and Bekaa governorates.

The warnings extended beyond southern border areas into the western Bekaa, including Sohmor, Yohmor, Mashghara, Zellaya and Eliya, reflecting the widening geographic scope of military pressure.

Researcher and writer Mohammad Shamseddine said field data recorded between April 17 and May 13 pointed to a continuing heavy toll in southern Lebanon despite the declared truce.

Shamseddine told Asharq Al-Awsat that 970 homes were completely destroyed during the period, while 545 sustained severe damage and around 3,400 suffered minor damage.

The figures underscore not only the scale of material losses, but also the continuing impact of the war despite the ceasefire, with direct consequences on residents, returns and reconstruction efforts.

The human toll has also continued to rise. According to Lebanon’s Ministry of Public Health operations room, 694 people were killed and 1,666 wounded between midnight on April 16 and May 17.

Fears of a New Security Belt

Retired Brig. Gen. Naji Malaeb said recent Israeli movements point to an attempt to establish new security realities inside Lebanese territory rather than carry out limited military operations.

“Recent developments in southern Lebanon suggest Israel is pursuing an approach that goes beyond localized operations toward imposing a new security reality through control of hills and strategic high ground inside Lebanese territory,” Malaeb told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He stressed that developments following the truce, particularly in recent days in areas stretching between Deir Siryan, Deir Aames and villages opposite the Shaqif area, showed a clear focus on strategically important terrain.

“There appears to be an effort to recreate the model Israel adopted in late November 2024, when it advanced toward several hills and highlands and established positions and defensive lines inside Lebanese territory,” he remarked.

Malaeb warned of Israeli attempts to shift the defensive line to new locations along a chain of hills and natural elevations, potentially creating a security belt or buffer zone that would provide strategic military advantages.

He said a key issue after the ceasefire announcement was the differing interpretations of the agreement itself. A statement issued by the US State Department after meetings with envoys, he noted, treated Israel’s actions as self-defense rather than direct hostile acts.

“Israel relies on this interpretation in its approach on the ground, presenting its operations as preemptive measures to prevent future threats rather than conventional offensive operations,” he said. “This is highly sensitive because it leaves the door open to continued military operations under different labels.”