Lebanon Uncertain of Electing President on Thursday Despite Intense Local, Int’l Efforts

 US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Lebanon Uncertain of Electing President on Thursday Despite Intense Local, Int’l Efforts

 US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)

Lebanese political powers have so far failed to reach an agreement over a presidential candidate ahead of Thursday's much-anticipated election, casting doubt that a new head of state will be elected after more than two years of vacancy in the country's top post and in spite of intense local and international efforts to end the impasse.

US special envoy Amos Hochstein was in Lebanon this week for talks with major officials, including parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati, army commander Joseph Aoun and Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea.

France's special envoy to Lebanon, Jean-Yves Le Drian, arrived in Beirut on Tuesday to help mediate the parliament's latest attempt to elect the country's president. He is set to attend the election on Thursday.

His visit comes as part of ongoing efforts to “enable the Lebanese to elect a president, in accordance with the principles agreed upon in Doha in July 2023,” according to a statement from his office. He is working alongside members of the Quintet - France, the US, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Egypt - to push for a resolution to the prolonged stalemate.

Le Drian urged lawmakers to reach a consensus, emphasizing that electing a president is “the first step toward the urgent reactivation of Lebanon's institutions and the restoration of the country's sovereignty,” according to the statement.

Lebanon has been without a head of state since President Michel Aoun's term ended in October 2022. Bickering between the political parties has impeded an agreement over a successor even though the country is reeling from several crises, including the fallout from Israel's war on Hezbollah and consolidating the ensuing fragile ceasefire.

The main obstacle in the election is the Shiite duo of Hezbollah and Berri's Amal movement's rejection of Aoun's candidacy. They remain committed to the election of their candidate Marada Movement leader and former MP Suleiman Franjieh.

Berri insisted on this position during his meeting with Hochstein. He spoke to the envoy of “a series of obstacles” preventing Aoun's election.

A constitutional amendment is needed for Aoun to run for president, but there aren't enough votes from parliament to approve the amendment. Moreover, the amendment needs a draft law from the government, which does not have the jurisdiction to do so because it is working in a caretaker capacity.

Sources close to Berri told Asharq Al-Awsat that the speaker is keen on ensuring the success of the election even if it means having to hold a vote on Friday or Saturday.

He insisted however, that Aoun cannot be elected president due to the constitutional obstacles, adding that other candidates, who enjoy the suitable traits of a head of state, can be elected instead.

Sovereign choice

Hezbollah MP Hussein al-Hajj Hassan stressed that Franjieh remains the party's chosen candidate.

He told Sputnik that the election is a “national sovereign” affair. The MPs who will elect a president represent the Lebanese people.

He added that he respects the “views of friends and partners who want to help Lebanon,” but the choice remains “internal and sovereign.”

The Hezbollah bloc will vote according to its convictions, he stressed, while dismissing accusations that the party and Amal were obstructing the polls.

“There is no need for accusations. Why would this be called a 'vote' if one position is being imposed on another?” the MP asked.

Everyone must hold dialogue over a suitable candidate if none of the nominees receive the needed votes to secure victory, Hajj Hassan added.

Geagea slams 'resistance bloc'

Meanwhile, Geagea slammed the Shiite duo for impeding the election. In a statement, he said that everyone “has known for months, even years, that the 'resistance' bloc does not approve in any way, shape, or form of the election of Aoun as president.”

“This is very evident in all media leaks or at closed-door meetings between various political forces or in statements made by international envoys,” he added.

“The Lebanese Forces is on good terms with Aoun and it was the first to deem him a suitable candidate when his name was proposed. It had never vetoed his nomination,” he stressed.

The “lying resistance bloc” - Hezbollah and Amal – and the Free Patriotic Movement oppose Aoun's election, and they have enough votes in parliament to ensure that he won't win, he noted.

United opposition

LF MP George Okais met with opposition and change MPs, saying afterwards: “We are united in the aim to elect a president on Thursday.”

“We hope the new president will be up to the task of running Lebanon” given all the challenges it is facing, he added.

He reiterated Geagea's assertion that the “resistance bloc” opposes Aoun's election.

Only 86 MPs out of the 128-member legislature are needed to hold the elections. A candidate needs 65 votes to win the first round of the election. He needs an absolute majority in the second round to be declared winner.

As it stands, none of the political blocs have the needed votes to ensure a candidate can be elected, which is why they are turning to understandings over a nominee.

Grand Mufti Sheikh Abul Latif al-Derian called on Tuesday for lawmakers to “carry out their constitutional duty to elect a president on January 9.”

He urged them to reach an agreement over a candidate “who can save Lebanon and prevent it from sliding deeper into chaos.”

He also warned of attempts to hinder the election, “which would give the Zionist enemy the opportunity to exploit political differences to undermine the Lebanese people's unity and solidarity.”

“The election of a president would fortify Lebanon and avert strife, which the country's enemies will benefit from,” he cautioned.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.