Lebanon Uncertain of Electing President on Thursday Despite Intense Local, Int’l Efforts

 US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Lebanon Uncertain of Electing President on Thursday Despite Intense Local, Int’l Efforts

 US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)

Lebanese political powers have so far failed to reach an agreement over a presidential candidate ahead of Thursday's much-anticipated election, casting doubt that a new head of state will be elected after more than two years of vacancy in the country's top post and in spite of intense local and international efforts to end the impasse.

US special envoy Amos Hochstein was in Lebanon this week for talks with major officials, including parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati, army commander Joseph Aoun and Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea.

France's special envoy to Lebanon, Jean-Yves Le Drian, arrived in Beirut on Tuesday to help mediate the parliament's latest attempt to elect the country's president. He is set to attend the election on Thursday.

His visit comes as part of ongoing efforts to “enable the Lebanese to elect a president, in accordance with the principles agreed upon in Doha in July 2023,” according to a statement from his office. He is working alongside members of the Quintet - France, the US, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Egypt - to push for a resolution to the prolonged stalemate.

Le Drian urged lawmakers to reach a consensus, emphasizing that electing a president is “the first step toward the urgent reactivation of Lebanon's institutions and the restoration of the country's sovereignty,” according to the statement.

Lebanon has been without a head of state since President Michel Aoun's term ended in October 2022. Bickering between the political parties has impeded an agreement over a successor even though the country is reeling from several crises, including the fallout from Israel's war on Hezbollah and consolidating the ensuing fragile ceasefire.

The main obstacle in the election is the Shiite duo of Hezbollah and Berri's Amal movement's rejection of Aoun's candidacy. They remain committed to the election of their candidate Marada Movement leader and former MP Suleiman Franjieh.

Berri insisted on this position during his meeting with Hochstein. He spoke to the envoy of “a series of obstacles” preventing Aoun's election.

A constitutional amendment is needed for Aoun to run for president, but there aren't enough votes from parliament to approve the amendment. Moreover, the amendment needs a draft law from the government, which does not have the jurisdiction to do so because it is working in a caretaker capacity.

Sources close to Berri told Asharq Al-Awsat that the speaker is keen on ensuring the success of the election even if it means having to hold a vote on Friday or Saturday.

He insisted however, that Aoun cannot be elected president due to the constitutional obstacles, adding that other candidates, who enjoy the suitable traits of a head of state, can be elected instead.

Sovereign choice

Hezbollah MP Hussein al-Hajj Hassan stressed that Franjieh remains the party's chosen candidate.

He told Sputnik that the election is a “national sovereign” affair. The MPs who will elect a president represent the Lebanese people.

He added that he respects the “views of friends and partners who want to help Lebanon,” but the choice remains “internal and sovereign.”

The Hezbollah bloc will vote according to its convictions, he stressed, while dismissing accusations that the party and Amal were obstructing the polls.

“There is no need for accusations. Why would this be called a 'vote' if one position is being imposed on another?” the MP asked.

Everyone must hold dialogue over a suitable candidate if none of the nominees receive the needed votes to secure victory, Hajj Hassan added.

Geagea slams 'resistance bloc'

Meanwhile, Geagea slammed the Shiite duo for impeding the election. In a statement, he said that everyone “has known for months, even years, that the 'resistance' bloc does not approve in any way, shape, or form of the election of Aoun as president.”

“This is very evident in all media leaks or at closed-door meetings between various political forces or in statements made by international envoys,” he added.

“The Lebanese Forces is on good terms with Aoun and it was the first to deem him a suitable candidate when his name was proposed. It had never vetoed his nomination,” he stressed.

The “lying resistance bloc” - Hezbollah and Amal – and the Free Patriotic Movement oppose Aoun's election, and they have enough votes in parliament to ensure that he won't win, he noted.

United opposition

LF MP George Okais met with opposition and change MPs, saying afterwards: “We are united in the aim to elect a president on Thursday.”

“We hope the new president will be up to the task of running Lebanon” given all the challenges it is facing, he added.

He reiterated Geagea's assertion that the “resistance bloc” opposes Aoun's election.

Only 86 MPs out of the 128-member legislature are needed to hold the elections. A candidate needs 65 votes to win the first round of the election. He needs an absolute majority in the second round to be declared winner.

As it stands, none of the political blocs have the needed votes to ensure a candidate can be elected, which is why they are turning to understandings over a nominee.

Grand Mufti Sheikh Abul Latif al-Derian called on Tuesday for lawmakers to “carry out their constitutional duty to elect a president on January 9.”

He urged them to reach an agreement over a candidate “who can save Lebanon and prevent it from sliding deeper into chaos.”

He also warned of attempts to hinder the election, “which would give the Zionist enemy the opportunity to exploit political differences to undermine the Lebanese people's unity and solidarity.”

“The election of a president would fortify Lebanon and avert strife, which the country's enemies will benefit from,” he cautioned.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.