Lebanon Uncertain of Electing President on Thursday Despite Intense Local, Int’l Efforts

 US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Lebanon Uncertain of Electing President on Thursday Despite Intense Local, Int’l Efforts

 US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)

Lebanese political powers have so far failed to reach an agreement over a presidential candidate ahead of Thursday's much-anticipated election, casting doubt that a new head of state will be elected after more than two years of vacancy in the country's top post and in spite of intense local and international efforts to end the impasse.

US special envoy Amos Hochstein was in Lebanon this week for talks with major officials, including parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati, army commander Joseph Aoun and Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea.

France's special envoy to Lebanon, Jean-Yves Le Drian, arrived in Beirut on Tuesday to help mediate the parliament's latest attempt to elect the country's president. He is set to attend the election on Thursday.

His visit comes as part of ongoing efforts to “enable the Lebanese to elect a president, in accordance with the principles agreed upon in Doha in July 2023,” according to a statement from his office. He is working alongside members of the Quintet - France, the US, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Egypt - to push for a resolution to the prolonged stalemate.

Le Drian urged lawmakers to reach a consensus, emphasizing that electing a president is “the first step toward the urgent reactivation of Lebanon's institutions and the restoration of the country's sovereignty,” according to the statement.

Lebanon has been without a head of state since President Michel Aoun's term ended in October 2022. Bickering between the political parties has impeded an agreement over a successor even though the country is reeling from several crises, including the fallout from Israel's war on Hezbollah and consolidating the ensuing fragile ceasefire.

The main obstacle in the election is the Shiite duo of Hezbollah and Berri's Amal movement's rejection of Aoun's candidacy. They remain committed to the election of their candidate Marada Movement leader and former MP Suleiman Franjieh.

Berri insisted on this position during his meeting with Hochstein. He spoke to the envoy of “a series of obstacles” preventing Aoun's election.

A constitutional amendment is needed for Aoun to run for president, but there aren't enough votes from parliament to approve the amendment. Moreover, the amendment needs a draft law from the government, which does not have the jurisdiction to do so because it is working in a caretaker capacity.

Sources close to Berri told Asharq Al-Awsat that the speaker is keen on ensuring the success of the election even if it means having to hold a vote on Friday or Saturday.

He insisted however, that Aoun cannot be elected president due to the constitutional obstacles, adding that other candidates, who enjoy the suitable traits of a head of state, can be elected instead.

Sovereign choice

Hezbollah MP Hussein al-Hajj Hassan stressed that Franjieh remains the party's chosen candidate.

He told Sputnik that the election is a “national sovereign” affair. The MPs who will elect a president represent the Lebanese people.

He added that he respects the “views of friends and partners who want to help Lebanon,” but the choice remains “internal and sovereign.”

The Hezbollah bloc will vote according to its convictions, he stressed, while dismissing accusations that the party and Amal were obstructing the polls.

“There is no need for accusations. Why would this be called a 'vote' if one position is being imposed on another?” the MP asked.

Everyone must hold dialogue over a suitable candidate if none of the nominees receive the needed votes to secure victory, Hajj Hassan added.

Geagea slams 'resistance bloc'

Meanwhile, Geagea slammed the Shiite duo for impeding the election. In a statement, he said that everyone “has known for months, even years, that the 'resistance' bloc does not approve in any way, shape, or form of the election of Aoun as president.”

“This is very evident in all media leaks or at closed-door meetings between various political forces or in statements made by international envoys,” he added.

“The Lebanese Forces is on good terms with Aoun and it was the first to deem him a suitable candidate when his name was proposed. It had never vetoed his nomination,” he stressed.

The “lying resistance bloc” - Hezbollah and Amal – and the Free Patriotic Movement oppose Aoun's election, and they have enough votes in parliament to ensure that he won't win, he noted.

United opposition

LF MP George Okais met with opposition and change MPs, saying afterwards: “We are united in the aim to elect a president on Thursday.”

“We hope the new president will be up to the task of running Lebanon” given all the challenges it is facing, he added.

He reiterated Geagea's assertion that the “resistance bloc” opposes Aoun's election.

Only 86 MPs out of the 128-member legislature are needed to hold the elections. A candidate needs 65 votes to win the first round of the election. He needs an absolute majority in the second round to be declared winner.

As it stands, none of the political blocs have the needed votes to ensure a candidate can be elected, which is why they are turning to understandings over a nominee.

Grand Mufti Sheikh Abul Latif al-Derian called on Tuesday for lawmakers to “carry out their constitutional duty to elect a president on January 9.”

He urged them to reach an agreement over a candidate “who can save Lebanon and prevent it from sliding deeper into chaos.”

He also warned of attempts to hinder the election, “which would give the Zionist enemy the opportunity to exploit political differences to undermine the Lebanese people's unity and solidarity.”

“The election of a president would fortify Lebanon and avert strife, which the country's enemies will benefit from,” he cautioned.



Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.


UN Says Israeli Actions Raising 'Ethnic Cleansing' Fears in West Bank, Gaza

A member of the Salhab family weeps as he sits on the on the rubble of apartment building after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers near the Israeli settlement of Hagai, south of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, on February 18, 2026. (Photo by HAZEM BADER / AFP)
A member of the Salhab family weeps as he sits on the on the rubble of apartment building after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers near the Israeli settlement of Hagai, south of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, on February 18, 2026. (Photo by HAZEM BADER / AFP)
TT

UN Says Israeli Actions Raising 'Ethnic Cleansing' Fears in West Bank, Gaza

A member of the Salhab family weeps as he sits on the on the rubble of apartment building after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers near the Israeli settlement of Hagai, south of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, on February 18, 2026. (Photo by HAZEM BADER / AFP)
A member of the Salhab family weeps as he sits on the on the rubble of apartment building after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers near the Israeli settlement of Hagai, south of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, on February 18, 2026. (Photo by HAZEM BADER / AFP)

Israel's increased attacks and forcible transfers of Palestinians "raise concerns over ethnic cleansing" in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, the United Nations said Thursday.

The UN human rights office said the cumulative impact of Israel's military conduct during the war in Gaza, plus its blockade of the territory, had inflicted living conditions "increasingly incompatible with Palestinians' continued existence as a group in Gaza".

"Intensified attacks, the methodical destruction of entire neighborhoods and the denial of humanitarian assistance appeared to aim at a permanent demographic shift in Gaza", the office said in a report.

"This, together with forcible transfers, which appear to aim at a permanent displacement, raise concerns over ethnic cleansing in Gaza and the West Bank."

The report looked at November 1, 2024 to October 31, 2025.

In the occupied West Bank and annexed East Jerusalem, the report said the "systematic use of unlawful force" by Israeli security forces, "widespread" arbitrary detention and the "extensive unlawful demolition" of Palestinian homes was being carried out to "systematically discriminate, oppress, control and dominate the Palestinian people".

"These violations were "altering the character, status and demographic composition of the occupied West Bank, raising serious concerns of ethnic cleansing", it said.

- 'Inhumane choice' -

In Gaza, the report condemned the continued killing and maiming of "unprecedented numbers of civilians", the spread of famine, and destruction of the "remaining civilian infrastructure".

During the 12 months covered in the report, at least 463 Palestinians, including 157 children, starved to death in Gaza, it said.

"Palestinians faced the inhumane choice of either starving to death or risking being killed while trying to get food," said the report.

"The situation of famine and malnutrition was the direct result of actions taken by the Israeli government," with the deaths and suffering from hunger "foreseeable and repeatedly foretold".

Across the reporting period, Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups continued to hold Israeli and foreign hostages seized on October 7, 2023 -- dead or alive -- as "bargaining tools".

The rights office said the hostages' treatment amounted to war crimes.

"Israeli forces, Hamas, and other Palestinian armed groups committed serious violations of international humanitarian law in Gaza, gross violations and abuses of international human rights law, and atrocity crimes," the report concluded.

- Impunity 'kills' -

Last week, UN rights chief Volker Turk warned that the world was witnessing "rapid steps to change permanently the demography of the occupied Palestinian territory".

On Tuesday, Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich vowed to encourage "emigration" from the Palestinian territories.

And on Wednesday, UN Under-Secretary-General Rosemary DiCarlo warned the Security Council that steps by Israel to tighten control of areas of the West Bank administered by the Palestinian Authority amount to "gradual de facto annexation".

Thursday's rights office report concluded that considered together, Israeli practices "indicated a concerted and accelerating effort to consolidate annexation of large parts of the Occupied Palestinian Territory and to deny Palestinians' right to self-determination".

The report said there was a pervasive climate of impunity for serious violations of international law by the Israeli authorities in the Palestinian territories.

"Impunity is not abstract -- it kills. Accountability is indispensable. It is the prerequisite for a just and durable peace in Palestine and Israel," Turk said in a statement.


UN Probe: RSF Actions in Sudan's el-Fasher Point to Genocide

Forces affiliated with the Rapid Support Forces in the city of el-Fasher, Darfur region (AFP)
Forces affiliated with the Rapid Support Forces in the city of el-Fasher, Darfur region (AFP)
TT

UN Probe: RSF Actions in Sudan's el-Fasher Point to Genocide

Forces affiliated with the Rapid Support Forces in the city of el-Fasher, Darfur region (AFP)
Forces affiliated with the Rapid Support Forces in the city of el-Fasher, Darfur region (AFP)

Mass killings of non-Arab communities when the Rapid Support Forces captured the Sudanese city of el-Fasher bears hallmarks that point to genocide, an independent UN probe said in a new report on Thursday.

At the end of October last year, the RSF took over the city - which had been the last remaining stronghold of the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) in the Darfur region in the west of the country - with thousands of people killed and raped during three days of horror, the UN Independent International Fact-Finding Mission for Sudan said.

It followed an 18-month siege where the RSF imposed conditions of life calculated to bring about the physical destruction of non-Arab communities, in particular the Zaghawa and the Fur, ‌the report stated.

The ‌UN mission said it found evidence that the RSF carried out a pattern ‌of ⁠coordinated and repeated ⁠targeting of individuals based on ethnicity, gender and perceived political affiliation, including mass killings, rape and torture, as well as inflicting conditions of life calculated to bring about the group’s physical destruction - core elements of the crime of genocide under international law.

The final draft of the report was shared with the Government of Sudan but no response was received, while the RSF did not respond to the UN mission's request to meet with its leadership, the report stated. The RSF and SAF did not immediately respond to requests from Reuters for comment.

In the past, the RSF has ⁠denied such abuses - saying the accounts have been manufactured by its enemies and ‌making counter-accusations against them.

"The scale, coordination, and public endorsement of the operation ‌by senior RSF leadership demonstrate that the crimes committed in and around el-Fasher were not random excesses of war" said Mohamad ‌Chande Othman, Chair of the Fact-Finding Mission on Sudan.

"They formed part of a planned and organized operation ‌that bears the defining characteristics of genocide," he added.

Before its takeover el-Fasher's population mainly consisted of the Zaghawa, a non-Arab community, while displacement camps around the area were comprised of the Fur community, as well as Berti, Masalit and Tama, the report said.

"Survivors describe explicit threats to 'clean' the city," the report stated. Alongside attacking displacement camps, communal kitchens and medical centers ‌with drones and heavy weapons, the RSF also carried out killings, looting, beatings and sexual violence in el-Fasher, the report stated.

The RSF's "exterminatory rhetoric" and other violations indicated ⁠its intent to destroy ⁠the Zaghawa and Fur communities in whole or in part, the report said.

"Witnesses heard the Rapid Support Forces saying, 'Is there anyone Zaghawa among you? If we find Zaghawa, we will kill them all'," the report said.

Survivors recounted point-blank executions of civilians, as well as bodies of men, women and children filling roads, the report stated.

Women and girls aged 7 to 70 years old from non-Arab communities, particularly the Zaghawa were raped and subject to other acts of sexual violence, including whipping and forced nudity, the report stated.

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said the international response to the report and the situation in Sudan had to be emphatic and urged for a ceasefire.

"The findings of this UN report are truly horrific - atrocities including systematic starvation, torture, killings, rape and deliberate ethnic targeting used on the most horrendous scale during the Rapid Support Forces siege of el-Fasher," she said in a statement.

The UN mission was mandated by members of the Human Rights Council, following backing from countries that included Britain, to urgently investigate violations and abuses under international law in and around el-Fasher.