Lebanon Uncertain of Electing President on Thursday Despite Intense Local, Int’l Efforts

 US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Lebanon Uncertain of Electing President on Thursday Despite Intense Local, Int’l Efforts

 US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)
US special envoy Amos Hochstein (L) listens to Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri during their meeting in Beirut on January 6, 2025. (AFP)

Lebanese political powers have so far failed to reach an agreement over a presidential candidate ahead of Thursday's much-anticipated election, casting doubt that a new head of state will be elected after more than two years of vacancy in the country's top post and in spite of intense local and international efforts to end the impasse.

US special envoy Amos Hochstein was in Lebanon this week for talks with major officials, including parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati, army commander Joseph Aoun and Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea.

France's special envoy to Lebanon, Jean-Yves Le Drian, arrived in Beirut on Tuesday to help mediate the parliament's latest attempt to elect the country's president. He is set to attend the election on Thursday.

His visit comes as part of ongoing efforts to “enable the Lebanese to elect a president, in accordance with the principles agreed upon in Doha in July 2023,” according to a statement from his office. He is working alongside members of the Quintet - France, the US, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Egypt - to push for a resolution to the prolonged stalemate.

Le Drian urged lawmakers to reach a consensus, emphasizing that electing a president is “the first step toward the urgent reactivation of Lebanon's institutions and the restoration of the country's sovereignty,” according to the statement.

Lebanon has been without a head of state since President Michel Aoun's term ended in October 2022. Bickering between the political parties has impeded an agreement over a successor even though the country is reeling from several crises, including the fallout from Israel's war on Hezbollah and consolidating the ensuing fragile ceasefire.

The main obstacle in the election is the Shiite duo of Hezbollah and Berri's Amal movement's rejection of Aoun's candidacy. They remain committed to the election of their candidate Marada Movement leader and former MP Suleiman Franjieh.

Berri insisted on this position during his meeting with Hochstein. He spoke to the envoy of “a series of obstacles” preventing Aoun's election.

A constitutional amendment is needed for Aoun to run for president, but there aren't enough votes from parliament to approve the amendment. Moreover, the amendment needs a draft law from the government, which does not have the jurisdiction to do so because it is working in a caretaker capacity.

Sources close to Berri told Asharq Al-Awsat that the speaker is keen on ensuring the success of the election even if it means having to hold a vote on Friday or Saturday.

He insisted however, that Aoun cannot be elected president due to the constitutional obstacles, adding that other candidates, who enjoy the suitable traits of a head of state, can be elected instead.

Sovereign choice

Hezbollah MP Hussein al-Hajj Hassan stressed that Franjieh remains the party's chosen candidate.

He told Sputnik that the election is a “national sovereign” affair. The MPs who will elect a president represent the Lebanese people.

He added that he respects the “views of friends and partners who want to help Lebanon,” but the choice remains “internal and sovereign.”

The Hezbollah bloc will vote according to its convictions, he stressed, while dismissing accusations that the party and Amal were obstructing the polls.

“There is no need for accusations. Why would this be called a 'vote' if one position is being imposed on another?” the MP asked.

Everyone must hold dialogue over a suitable candidate if none of the nominees receive the needed votes to secure victory, Hajj Hassan added.

Geagea slams 'resistance bloc'

Meanwhile, Geagea slammed the Shiite duo for impeding the election. In a statement, he said that everyone “has known for months, even years, that the 'resistance' bloc does not approve in any way, shape, or form of the election of Aoun as president.”

“This is very evident in all media leaks or at closed-door meetings between various political forces or in statements made by international envoys,” he added.

“The Lebanese Forces is on good terms with Aoun and it was the first to deem him a suitable candidate when his name was proposed. It had never vetoed his nomination,” he stressed.

The “lying resistance bloc” - Hezbollah and Amal – and the Free Patriotic Movement oppose Aoun's election, and they have enough votes in parliament to ensure that he won't win, he noted.

United opposition

LF MP George Okais met with opposition and change MPs, saying afterwards: “We are united in the aim to elect a president on Thursday.”

“We hope the new president will be up to the task of running Lebanon” given all the challenges it is facing, he added.

He reiterated Geagea's assertion that the “resistance bloc” opposes Aoun's election.

Only 86 MPs out of the 128-member legislature are needed to hold the elections. A candidate needs 65 votes to win the first round of the election. He needs an absolute majority in the second round to be declared winner.

As it stands, none of the political blocs have the needed votes to ensure a candidate can be elected, which is why they are turning to understandings over a nominee.

Grand Mufti Sheikh Abul Latif al-Derian called on Tuesday for lawmakers to “carry out their constitutional duty to elect a president on January 9.”

He urged them to reach an agreement over a candidate “who can save Lebanon and prevent it from sliding deeper into chaos.”

He also warned of attempts to hinder the election, “which would give the Zionist enemy the opportunity to exploit political differences to undermine the Lebanese people's unity and solidarity.”

“The election of a president would fortify Lebanon and avert strife, which the country's enemies will benefit from,” he cautioned.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."