Israel Holds Drills Near Lebanon Border as Hezbollah Reaffirms Commitment to Ceasefire

This screen grab from a handout video released by the Israeli Army on February 3, 2025, showing smoke billowing during what the Israeli Army says are soldiers of the 91st Division operating in various areas in southern Lebanon. (Israeli Army/AFP)
This screen grab from a handout video released by the Israeli Army on February 3, 2025, showing smoke billowing during what the Israeli Army says are soldiers of the 91st Division operating in various areas in southern Lebanon. (Israeli Army/AFP)
TT

Israel Holds Drills Near Lebanon Border as Hezbollah Reaffirms Commitment to Ceasefire

This screen grab from a handout video released by the Israeli Army on February 3, 2025, showing smoke billowing during what the Israeli Army says are soldiers of the 91st Division operating in various areas in southern Lebanon. (Israeli Army/AFP)
This screen grab from a handout video released by the Israeli Army on February 3, 2025, showing smoke billowing during what the Israeli Army says are soldiers of the 91st Division operating in various areas in southern Lebanon. (Israeli Army/AFP)

The Israeli army said on Monday it was holding a military drill in the Upper Galilee near the Lebanese border amid ongoing tensions. Meanwhile, Israeli drones flew over Beirut and its southern suburb, known as Dahieh – a Hezbollah stronghold.

Hezbollah, for its part, reaffirmed its commitment to the ongoing ceasefire with Israel.

The Israeli military on Monday warned civilians in the Upper Galilee of increased military activity but said there was “no security threat.”

It advised people to stay away from the area, citing expected operations.

The warning came a day after Defense Minister Israel Katz toured the Lebanese border and warned that Israel could respond strongly if Hezbollah's drone attacks continued.

Katz said the Iran-backed party would “pay a heavy price” if it violated the ceasefire.

Under a deal signed in November, Israeli forces were set to withdraw from southern Lebanon by January 26. However, Israel said last month it would stay until February 18, claiming the Lebanese army was too slow to deploy. The Lebanese army has accused Israel of stalling in implementing the deal.

On Thursday, the Israeli military said it shot down a Hezbollah drone, the first such incident since the ceasefire began. That night, Israeli warplanes struck Hezbollah targets in eastern Lebanon.

Meanwhile, Israel continued demolitions in southern Lebanon, with Lebanon’s National News Agency (NNA) reporting that its forces set on fire several houses between Adaisseh and Rab Thalathin.

Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said troops destroyed Hezbollah infrastructure and weapons depots. He added that forces were working to “maintain operational gains” in coordination with Lebanon.

Troops also found and destroyed multiple weapons caches containing mortars, rockets, explosives and other military gear, Adraee said.

Lebanese media reported on Sunday that the Israeli navy had detained a fisherman off the coast of Naqoura in southern Lebanon.

Meanwhile, reports in Lebanon said Israeli forces opened fire on civilians attempting to return to the border village of Yaroun.

Hezbollah says it remains committed to the ceasefire.

Its lawmaker Hussein Jishi accused Israel of violating the agreement, claiming “more than 1,000 breaches” had been recorded.

“We upheld the ceasefire to give the relevant parties—namely the Lebanese state and its sponsors—a chance to take responsibility,” he said.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.