US Warning over Hezbollah Upends Lebanese Govt Formation Efforts

In this photo released by the Lebanese Presidency press office, Lebanese president Joseph Aoun, right, shakes hands with US deputy special envoy for Middle East peace Morgan Ortagus in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Feb. 7, 2025. (Lebanese Presidency press office via AP)
In this photo released by the Lebanese Presidency press office, Lebanese president Joseph Aoun, right, shakes hands with US deputy special envoy for Middle East peace Morgan Ortagus in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Feb. 7, 2025. (Lebanese Presidency press office via AP)
TT

US Warning over Hezbollah Upends Lebanese Govt Formation Efforts

In this photo released by the Lebanese Presidency press office, Lebanese president Joseph Aoun, right, shakes hands with US deputy special envoy for Middle East peace Morgan Ortagus in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Feb. 7, 2025. (Lebanese Presidency press office via AP)
In this photo released by the Lebanese Presidency press office, Lebanese president Joseph Aoun, right, shakes hands with US deputy special envoy for Middle East peace Morgan Ortagus in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Feb. 7, 2025. (Lebanese Presidency press office via AP)

US deputy Middle East envoy Morgan Ortagus’ warning on Friday that Hezbollah should not be part of the new Lebanese government has upended efforts to form a new cabinet.

The formation process had already hit a snag with disputes over the name of the fifth Shiite minister. The remaining four have been named by the Shiite duo of Hezbollah and Amal.

The new American administration’s position will further complicate the process with the likely formation of a camp that will heed the warning and another that will cling on to Hezbollah’s participation.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the French foreign ministry said on Friday that Paris fully trusts the Lebanese authorities’ ability to form a new government that represents all segments of the country.

Replying to a question about Ortagus’ warning, the spokesperson said France hopes Lebanese Prime Minister-designate Nawaf Salam will find a way to resolve the crisis.

Ortagus spoke after meeting President Joseph Aoun at the Baabda presidential palace.

She told reporters the US has set a "red line" that armed group Hezbollah should not be a member of Lebanon's next government after its military setbacks against Israel last year.

Ortagus said she was "not afraid" of the Iran-backed party "because they've been defeated militarily", a reference to last year's war between the group and Israel.

"And we have set clear red lines from the United States that they won't be able to terrorize the Lebanese people, and that includes by being a part of the government," she said.

Further complication

The Lebanese people will now have to wait and see how Aoun and Salam will handle the warning and if they really are capable of leaving Hezbollah out of the new government.

A source following the formation process held Amal movement leader and parliament Speaker Nabih Berri responsible for the latest setback, explaining that had he not insisted on naming the fifth Shiite minister on Thursday, a new government would have been formed already.

Had a new cabinet been formed, Salam would have persuaded Ortagus that Hezbollah was ready to join financial and economic reform efforts and implement United Nations Security Council resolution 1701, it added.

The US would have had to deal with the new government but with some reservations, continued the source on condition of anonymity.

"The new warning now deeply complicates the situation," it lamented.

"Ortagus’ stance has put the Lebanese state in a difficult position and it is now necessary for those involved in the government formation process to take the very clear and frank American statements seriously. They must not be ignored," it urged.

Firm message

Head of the Saydet el-Jabal Gathering former MP Fares Soaid said Ortagus’ message has upended the formation efforts.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he explained that the deputy envoy clearly outlined the new American administration’s stance that is in "absolute support to Israel and confrontation with Iran."

"Ortagus was clear over the need to keep Hezbollah out of government," he said.

"The president and PM-designate now have one choice and that is to keep all parties out of government, whether through direct or indirect representation. This is the only solution that would salvage the situation and all parties must understand this," Soaid went on to say.

Before the warning, Lebanese parties were willing to have Hezbollah in government where they would work on curbing its influence, he went on to say.

"Now, all parties are forced to stay out of government, which will be non-partisan. The new cabinet lineup will then be presented to parliament and whoever dares to withhold confidence will be held responsible for the choice," Soaid said.

"Defying the American official’s warning will make it impossible for the new government to have any international presence," he added.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.