US Warning over Hezbollah Upends Lebanese Govt Formation Efforts

In this photo released by the Lebanese Presidency press office, Lebanese president Joseph Aoun, right, shakes hands with US deputy special envoy for Middle East peace Morgan Ortagus in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Feb. 7, 2025. (Lebanese Presidency press office via AP)
In this photo released by the Lebanese Presidency press office, Lebanese president Joseph Aoun, right, shakes hands with US deputy special envoy for Middle East peace Morgan Ortagus in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Feb. 7, 2025. (Lebanese Presidency press office via AP)
TT

US Warning over Hezbollah Upends Lebanese Govt Formation Efforts

In this photo released by the Lebanese Presidency press office, Lebanese president Joseph Aoun, right, shakes hands with US deputy special envoy for Middle East peace Morgan Ortagus in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Feb. 7, 2025. (Lebanese Presidency press office via AP)
In this photo released by the Lebanese Presidency press office, Lebanese president Joseph Aoun, right, shakes hands with US deputy special envoy for Middle East peace Morgan Ortagus in Baabda, east of Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, Feb. 7, 2025. (Lebanese Presidency press office via AP)

US deputy Middle East envoy Morgan Ortagus’ warning on Friday that Hezbollah should not be part of the new Lebanese government has upended efforts to form a new cabinet.

The formation process had already hit a snag with disputes over the name of the fifth Shiite minister. The remaining four have been named by the Shiite duo of Hezbollah and Amal.

The new American administration’s position will further complicate the process with the likely formation of a camp that will heed the warning and another that will cling on to Hezbollah’s participation.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the French foreign ministry said on Friday that Paris fully trusts the Lebanese authorities’ ability to form a new government that represents all segments of the country.

Replying to a question about Ortagus’ warning, the spokesperson said France hopes Lebanese Prime Minister-designate Nawaf Salam will find a way to resolve the crisis.

Ortagus spoke after meeting President Joseph Aoun at the Baabda presidential palace.

She told reporters the US has set a "red line" that armed group Hezbollah should not be a member of Lebanon's next government after its military setbacks against Israel last year.

Ortagus said she was "not afraid" of the Iran-backed party "because they've been defeated militarily", a reference to last year's war between the group and Israel.

"And we have set clear red lines from the United States that they won't be able to terrorize the Lebanese people, and that includes by being a part of the government," she said.

Further complication

The Lebanese people will now have to wait and see how Aoun and Salam will handle the warning and if they really are capable of leaving Hezbollah out of the new government.

A source following the formation process held Amal movement leader and parliament Speaker Nabih Berri responsible for the latest setback, explaining that had he not insisted on naming the fifth Shiite minister on Thursday, a new government would have been formed already.

Had a new cabinet been formed, Salam would have persuaded Ortagus that Hezbollah was ready to join financial and economic reform efforts and implement United Nations Security Council resolution 1701, it added.

The US would have had to deal with the new government but with some reservations, continued the source on condition of anonymity.

"The new warning now deeply complicates the situation," it lamented.

"Ortagus’ stance has put the Lebanese state in a difficult position and it is now necessary for those involved in the government formation process to take the very clear and frank American statements seriously. They must not be ignored," it urged.

Firm message

Head of the Saydet el-Jabal Gathering former MP Fares Soaid said Ortagus’ message has upended the formation efforts.

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he explained that the deputy envoy clearly outlined the new American administration’s stance that is in "absolute support to Israel and confrontation with Iran."

"Ortagus was clear over the need to keep Hezbollah out of government," he said.

"The president and PM-designate now have one choice and that is to keep all parties out of government, whether through direct or indirect representation. This is the only solution that would salvage the situation and all parties must understand this," Soaid went on to say.

Before the warning, Lebanese parties were willing to have Hezbollah in government where they would work on curbing its influence, he went on to say.

"Now, all parties are forced to stay out of government, which will be non-partisan. The new cabinet lineup will then be presented to parliament and whoever dares to withhold confidence will be held responsible for the choice," Soaid said.

"Defying the American official’s warning will make it impossible for the new government to have any international presence," he added.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."