For First Time in 25 Years, Lebanese Govt Drops ‘Resistance’ Clause from Ministerial Statement

President Joseph Aoun, parliament Speaker Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam pose for a family photo with the new Lebanese government earlier this month. (Lebanese presidency/EPA)
President Joseph Aoun, parliament Speaker Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam pose for a family photo with the new Lebanese government earlier this month. (Lebanese presidency/EPA)
TT

For First Time in 25 Years, Lebanese Govt Drops ‘Resistance’ Clause from Ministerial Statement

President Joseph Aoun, parliament Speaker Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam pose for a family photo with the new Lebanese government earlier this month. (Lebanese presidency/EPA)
President Joseph Aoun, parliament Speaker Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam pose for a family photo with the new Lebanese government earlier this month. (Lebanese presidency/EPA)

The new Lebanese government dropped on Monday the “resistance” - Hezbollah - clause from its ministerial statement in a departure from statements of successive cabinets since the year 2000.

Israel withdrew its forces from southern Lebanon in 2000, marking Hezbollah’s rise to prominence in Lebanese internal affairs. Since then, the “resistance” clause had dictated Lebanon’s decision of war and peace.

Salam’s government approved its statement, and it will be referred to parliament for approval.

Following a cabinet meeting, Information Minister Paul Morcos said President Joseph Aoun had praised the government for its rapid drafting of the statement – a process that had often taken several weeks.

The Taif Accord makes up 80 percent of the draft, while the president’s inaugural speech makes up the rest, he told reporters.

The minister stressed that the statement underscores the government’s commitment to liberating all Lebanese territories and demands that the state have monopoly over the possession of weapons.

It is also committed to United Nations Security Council resolution 1701 and steering Lebanon clear of regional conflicts.

Asharq Al-Awsat obtained a copy of the draft, which stressed “Lebanon’s right to defend itself in line with the UN Charter. The state is fully responsible for the security of the country and defending its borders.”

Previous ministerial statements had said that the state was “committed to the truce agreement and seeking to liberate occupied Lebanese territories through all legitimate means.” The statements had “underscored the Lebanese citizens’ right in resisting Israeli occupation and repelling Israeli attacks” - a reference to Hezbollah.

State reforms

The new government statement also declared that it was prioritizing state reforms and fortifying its sovereignty. The state, it continued, “had endured decades of shortcomings that had affected its efficacy, diminished its influence and undermined its authority... Today, we must meet the aspirations of the Lebanese people and restore the trust of the citizens.”

“We want a state that assumes its full responsibility for the security of the country and in defending its borders. Such a state repels aggressors, protects its citizens and fortifies its independence,” it went on to say.

The statement underlined the government’s commitment to its pledges, “most notably the implementation of resolution 1701 in full, as well as other resolutions that safeguard Lebanon’s territorial integrity, sovereignty and political independence within its internationally recognized borders and in line with the 1949 truce agreement between Lebanon and Israel.”

Commitment to national pact

The new government said it was “committed - in line with the national pact - in taking the necessary measures to liberate all Lebanese territories from Israeli occupation, imposing its sovereignty throughout the country and deploying the army in internationally recognized border areas.”

The government “underscored Lebanon’s right to self-defense against any attack in line with the UN Charter. It calls for implementing the president’s call about the state’s right to monopolize the possession of weapons.”

It called for holding discussions over a “comprehensive defense strategy that would be part of national security strategy on diplomatic, economic and military levels.”

“We aspire for a state that possesses the decision of war and peace and for its army to adopt a defensive combat creed,” it added.

Rejection of naturalization

The government tackled economic and social affairs, as well as the issue of Palestinian refugees. It expressed its rejection of their naturalization in Lebanon, saying it was committed to their right to return to their homeland and the establishment of their independent state.

Moreover, it stressed that the Lebanese state “has the right to impose its authority throughout Lebanese territories including Palestinian refugee camps.”

“We want a state that boasts effective public administrations and institutions, and that believes in justice for all without exception,” it continued. It underscored the importance of an independent judiciary according to the highest international standards.

The statement also addressed the issue of people’s deposits that have been frozen in banks. It said tackling the issue will be a priority and the depositors’ rights will be protected.

It also spoke of wanting to achieve economic growth and fixing the electricity sector.

Syria

The government will also work towards keeping Lebanon out of regional conflicts and preventing the country from “being used as a platform to attack friendly states.”

The government also vowed to launch a dialogue over border control and non-interference with new authorities in neighboring Syria, where the opposition ousted Hezbollah ally Bashar al-Assad on December 8.

Syria was the dominant power in Lebanon for three decades under the Assad family, with Damascus only withdrawing Syria’s troops in 2005 following mass protests triggered by the assassination of Lebanese ex-Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

His murder was blamed on Assad and Hezbollah.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.