Gaza Truce: Does An ‘All for All’ Swap Deal Resolve the Current Impasse?

 Two Palestinian girls on their way to fill water in Gaza City. (Reuters)
Two Palestinian girls on their way to fill water in Gaza City. (Reuters)
TT

Gaza Truce: Does An ‘All for All’ Swap Deal Resolve the Current Impasse?

 Two Palestinian girls on their way to fill water in Gaza City. (Reuters)
Two Palestinian girls on their way to fill water in Gaza City. (Reuters)

Negotiations between Hamas and Israel about further steps in the Gaza ceasefire deal stand at crossroads, as Israel continues to “stall” the implementation of the second phase of its truce agreement with the Palestinian movement, refusing to hand over Palestinian prisoners, several observers said on Tuesday.

Hamas had submitted a proposal to Israel, through mediators, for a comprehensive prisoner-for-hostage swap based on the principle of “all for all” as part of ongoing negotiations.

Meanwhile, reports said the US and Israel are considering an extension of the first phase of the Gaza truce, which expires in a few days.

Several experts told Asharq Al-Awsat on Tuesday that the Hamas “all for all” proposal could be a solution only if Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was serious about ending the war.

The experts said Israel would likely delay the first phase of the truce agreement, and that an “all for all” swap deal would be considered at later stages.

A ceasefire and hostage deal led by Cairo, Doha and Washington, came into effect on January 19 and included three phases, each of which will last 42 days.

Negotiations over the second phase, intended to secure the release of the remaining hostages and the full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza, had been meant to start this month, 16 days after the start of the truce.

Mousa Abu Marzouk, the Qatar-based head of Hamas’s foreign relations office, said in an interview with The New York Times that releasing some more hostages and prisoners during an extension of the first phase could be discussed.

But he clarified that, under any circumstances, Hamas would demand far more prisoners in exchange for each hostage because the group considers the remaining Israeli hostages to be soldiers.

Abu Marzouk said Hamas was also open to releasing all hostages at the same time, if Israel was willing to free the thousands of Palestinians in its prisons, end the war and withdraw from Gaza.

“We’re ready to have a comprehensive deal,” he said.

Meanwhile, Steve Witkoff, US President Donald Trump’s point person on the Middle East, is expected to head back to the region to boost diplomacy.

Al Hurra TV channel said Witkoff will exert efforts to get an extension of phase one of the truce while the Israeli Haaretz newspaper said that Israel will presumably try to extend the deal's first stage by adding additional phases, in which a few more hostages would be freed.

Dr. Ahmed Fouad Anwar, Professor of Hebrew Language at Alexandria University and expert on Israeli affairs considered the Hamas “all for all” proposal as a “psychological war” aimed to exert further public Israeli pressure on Netanyahu.

He said that currently, Israel and Hamas are closer to extend the first phase of the ceasefire agreement rather than to reach an “all for all” deal.

This, he said, is due to Netanyahu’s opponents, who already threatened the Israeli government not to kick off the second phase of the deal or to withdraw from the Strip.

Commenting on the latest developments in Gaza, former Palestinian Ambassador to Egypt, Barakat Al-Fara said an “all for all” swap deal could solve the recurring and stumbling crisis between Israel and Hamas.

However, Al-Fara doubted Israel would stick to the deal.

He assumed that Netanyahu could accept Hamas’ proposal only to secure the release of his hostages.

In return, Al-Fara said, Israel will refuse to release the Palestinian prisoners, and instead returns to war, particularly since Hamas is in a difficult and weak position.

Dr. Ayman Al-Raqab, a professor of political science at Al-Quds University, said Netanyahu is not serious about completing the truce agreement.

“Netanyahu wants to secure the release of all his hostages while continuing the war,” he said, adding that the Israeli PM may arrest the released Palestinians prisoners again at any time.

“Neither an all for all deal nor the extension of the first phase would guarantee the implementation of the truce agreement in the absence of serious US pressures on the Israeli prime minister to abide by any agreement with Hamas,” Al-Raqab said.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.