Lebanon’s Govt Wins Confidence Vote, Says Only Armed Forces Should Defend Country in War 

Members of the new government receive applauds from parliament members after winning the vote of confidence at the parliament building in Beirut, Lebanon, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2025. (Lebanese Parliament Media Office via AP)
Members of the new government receive applauds from parliament members after winning the vote of confidence at the parliament building in Beirut, Lebanon, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2025. (Lebanese Parliament Media Office via AP)
TT

Lebanon’s Govt Wins Confidence Vote, Says Only Armed Forces Should Defend Country in War 

Members of the new government receive applauds from parliament members after winning the vote of confidence at the parliament building in Beirut, Lebanon, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2025. (Lebanese Parliament Media Office via AP)
Members of the new government receive applauds from parliament members after winning the vote of confidence at the parliament building in Beirut, Lebanon, Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2025. (Lebanese Parliament Media Office via AP)

Lebanon's new government on Wednesday won a confidence vote in parliament, with the support of Hezbollah's bloc, even though the government statement adopted took a swipe at the Iran-backed party’s weapons.

Ninety-five out of 128 lawmakers supported the government of Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, a prominent jurist who previously headed the International Court of Justice. He was appointed last month to form a new government after a devastating war between Israel and Hezbollah, which killed over 4,000 people and caused widespread destruction.

The government statement adopted said that only Lebanon's armed forces should defend the country in case of war and that the state should have monopoly over arms. Unlike previous statements, it did not include the phrase “armed resistance,” which had been seen as legitimizing Hezbollah's possession of weapons outside of state control.

Hezbollah has kept its weapons over the past decades saying they are necessary to defend the country against Israel, repeatedly ignoring calls for disarmament. Calls for the disarmament intensified during the latest war, which ended with a US-brokered ceasefire on Nov. 27, 2024.

Hezbollah did not support Salam's bid to be prime minister. But Hezbollah's parliamentary leader, Mohammad Raad, on Tuesday announced his bloc's confidence in his cabinet on Tuesday.

Salam said the government asserts that Lebanon has the right to defend itself in case of any “aggression” and only the state has the right to have weapons. He also said the government takes measures to liberate land occupied by Israel “through its forces only.”

Legislators from the Amal movement, led by parliament Speaker Nabih Berri - who brokered the ceasefire and is allied with Hezbollah - also voted for the new government. Hezbollah and the Amal Movement collectively hold about 27 seats designated for the Shiite community.

The Marada Movement, a Christian political party aligned with Hezbollah, and the Syrian Social Nationalist Party, a secular nationalist party aligned with Hezbollah, also offered the government their confidence.

The Lebanese Forces and the Kataeb, Christian parties that oppose Hezbollah and call for its disarmament and reduced Iranian influence, also backed Salam's government.

Meanwhile, 12 legislators withheld support while four others abstained from voting, criticizing the ministerial statement as vague and lacking a clear plan. The “Strong Lebanon” bloc led by Gebran Bassil of the Free Patriotic Movement, previously aligned with Hezbollah, voted against the new government.

Among the key issues raised by parliamentarians for the government to address are Israel's ceasefire violations and demands for its full withdrawal from Lebanese territory.

While Israeli troops pulled out under the ceasefire terms, they remain in five strategic outposts along the border and continue to conduct airstrikes, saying they are targeting Hezbollah fighters and weapons caches. Israel carried out a drone strike on Wednesday which it said killed a Hezbollah member.

Legislators also urged the government to tackle reconstruction following the war, Lebanon's severe economic and banking crisis and implement long-overdue judicial and banking reforms.

"We will work on removing Lebanon from the grey list and start negotiations with the International Monetary Fund," Salam told parliament before the vote. "We will put depositors at the top of our priorities."

Lebanon has been in deep economic crisis since 2019, when its financial system collapsed under the weight of massive state debts, prompting a sovereign default in 2020 and freezing ordinary depositors out of their savings in the banking system.

Finance Minister Yassine Jaber told Reuters earlier this month that an IMF mission was expected to visit Lebanon in March.

Beirut reached a draft funding deal with IMF in 2022 - contingent on reforms that authorities failed to deliver.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.