UN Warns of ‘Massive Trauma’ for Gaza’s Children amid Renewed Fighting

Displaced Palestinians collect books, from the destroyed Islamic University to use as fuel to cook food, in Gaza City on March 21, 2025. (AFP)
Displaced Palestinians collect books, from the destroyed Islamic University to use as fuel to cook food, in Gaza City on March 21, 2025. (AFP)
TT
20

UN Warns of ‘Massive Trauma’ for Gaza’s Children amid Renewed Fighting

Displaced Palestinians collect books, from the destroyed Islamic University to use as fuel to cook food, in Gaza City on March 21, 2025. (AFP)
Displaced Palestinians collect books, from the destroyed Islamic University to use as fuel to cook food, in Gaza City on March 21, 2025. (AFP)

The UN warned Friday that all of Gaza's approximately one million children were facing "massive trauma" as fighting in the war-ravaged territory resumed, and amid dire aid shortages.

Humanitarians described an alarming situation in Gaza, amid a growing civilian death toll since Israel resumed aerial bombardment and ground operations this week after a six-week ceasefire.

Sam Rose, the senior deputy field director in Gaza for the UN agency for Palestinian refugees UNRWA, highlighted the psychological shock for already traumatized children to once again find themselves beneath the bombs.

This is a "massive, massive trauma for the one million children" living in the Palestinian territory, he told reporters in Geneva, speaking from Gaza.

The breakdown of the ceasefire that took effect on January 19 comes as the population is already dramatically weakened from 15 months of brutal war sparked by Hamas's deadly October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.

"It's worse this time," Rose warned, "because people are already exhausted, they're already degraded, their immune systems, their mental health, (and) populations on the verge of famine.

"Children who had come back to school after 18 months out of school, now back in tents,... hearing the bombardment around them constantly.

"It's fear on top of fear, cruelty on top of cruelty, and tragedy on top of tragedy."

James Elder, a spokesman for the UN children's agency UNICEF, said traumatized children usually only start to process their trauma when they begin returning to normalcy.

"Psychologists would say our absolute nightmare is that they return home and then it starts again," he told reporters.

"That's the terrain that we've now entered," he said, warning that Gaza was the only "example in modern history in terms of an entire child population needing mental health support".

"That's no exaggeration."

Gaza's civil defense agency said 504 people had been killed since Tuesday, including more than 190 under the age of 18.

The toll is among the highest since the war started more than 17 months ago with Hamas's attack on Israel.

It has also been a deadly period for humanitarians, with seven UNRWA staff killed just since the ceasefire broke down, bring the total number killed from that agency alone to 284 since the Gaza war began.

A Bulgarian worker with another UN agency was also killed this week, as was a local staff member of Doctors Without Borders, the medical charity said Friday.

Humanitarians warned the situation on the ground has been made worse by Israel's decision earlier this month to cut off aid and electricity to Gaza over the deadlock in negotiations to prolong the ceasefire.

"We were able to bring in more supplies in during the six weeks of the ceasefire than ... in the previous six months," Rose said, warning though that that progress was "being reversed".

Currently, he said, there is only enough flour supply in Gaza for another six days.

Asked about Israel's charge that Hamas has diverted the more than sufficient aid inside Gaza, Rose said he had "not seen any evidence" of that.

"There is no aid being distributed right now, so there is nothing to steal."

He warned though that if aid is not restored, "we will see a gradual slide back into what we saw in the worst days of the conflict in terms of looting ... and desperate conditions among the population".

Elder meanwhile described the vital aid items that aid agencies were unable to bring into Gaza.

"We've got 180,000 doses of vaccines a few kilometers away that are life-saving and are blocked," he said.

He also pointed to a "massive shortage" of incubators in Gaza even as pre-term births were surging.

"We have dozens of them, again sitting across the border," he said. "Blocked ventilators for babies."



Hundreds of Thousands Flee as Israel Seizes Rafah in New Gaza 'Security Zone'

A youth rides a bicycle as people commute along the al-Rashid road, the only route linking the northern and southern parts of the Palestinian territory, on April 2, 2025. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)
A youth rides a bicycle as people commute along the al-Rashid road, the only route linking the northern and southern parts of the Palestinian territory, on April 2, 2025. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)
TT
20

Hundreds of Thousands Flee as Israel Seizes Rafah in New Gaza 'Security Zone'

A youth rides a bicycle as people commute along the al-Rashid road, the only route linking the northern and southern parts of the Palestinian territory, on April 2, 2025. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)
A youth rides a bicycle as people commute along the al-Rashid road, the only route linking the northern and southern parts of the Palestinian territory, on April 2, 2025. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)

Hundreds of thousands of fleeing Gazans sought shelter on Thursday in one of the biggest mass displacements of the war, as Israeli forces advanced into the ruins of the city of Rafah, part of a newly announced "security zone" they intend to seize.

A day after declaring their intention to capture large swathes of the crowded enclave, Israeli force pushed into the city on Gaza's southern edge which had served as a last refuge for people fleeing other areas for much of the war, reported Reuters.

Gaza's health ministry reported at least 97 people killed in Israeli strikes in the past 24 hours, including at least 20 killed in an airstrike around dawn in Shejaia suburb of Gaza City.

Rafah "is gone, it is being wiped out," a father of seven among the hundreds of thousands who had fled from Rafah to neighboring Khan Younis, told Reuters via a chat app.

"They are knocking down what is left standing of houses and property," said the man who declined to be identified for fear of repercussions.

After a strike killed several people in Khan Younis, Adel Abu Fakher was checking the damage to his tent.

"Is anything left for us? There’s nothing left for us. We’re being killed while asleep," he said.

The assault to capture Rafah is a major escalation in the war, which Israel restarted last month after effectively abandoning a ceasefire in place since January.

GAZANS FEAR PERMANENT DEPOPULATION

Israel has not spelled out its longterm aims for the security zone its troops are now seizing. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanayahu said troops were taking an area he called the "Morag Axis", a reference to an abandoned former Israeli settlement once located between Rafah on Gaza's southern edge and the adjacent main southern city Khan Younis.

Gazans who had returned to homes in the ruins during the ceasefire have now been ordered to flee communities on the northern and southern edges of the strip.

They fear that Israel's intention is to depopulate those areas indefinitely, leaving many hundreds of thousands of people permanently homeless in one of the poorest and most crowded territories on earth. The security zone includes some of Gaza's last agricultural land and critical water infrastructure.

Since the first phase of the ceasefire expired at the start of March with no agreement to prolong it, Israel has imposed a total blockade on all goods reaching Gaza's 2.3 million residents, recreating what international organizations describe as a humanitarian catastrophe after weeks of relative calm.

Israel's stated goal since the start of the war has been the destruction of the Hamas group which ran Gaza for nearly two decades and led the attack on Israeli communities in October 2023 that precipitated the war.

But with no effort made to establish an alternative administration, Hamas-led police returned to the streets during the ceasefire. Fighters still hold 59 dead and living hostages which Israel says must be handed over to extend the truce; Hamas says it will free them only under a deal that ends the war.

Israeli leaders say they have been encouraged by signs of protest in Gaza against Hamas, with hundreds of people demonstrating in north Gaza's Beit Lahiya on Wednesday opposing the war and demanding Hamas quit power. Hamas calls the protesters collaborators and says Israel is behind them.

The war began with a Hamas attack on Israeli communities on October 7, 2023 with gunmen killing 1,200 people and taking more than 250 hostages according to Israeli tallies. Israel's campaign has so far killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, Gaza health authorities say.

Rafah residents said most of the local population had followed Israel's order to leave, as Israeli strikes toppled buildings there. But a strike on the main road between Khan Younis and Rafah stopped most movement between the two cities.

Movement of people and traffic along the western coastal road near Morag was also limited by bombardment, said residents.

"Others stayed because they don't know where to go, or got fed up of being displaced several times. We are afraid they might be killed or at best detained," said Basem, a resident of Rafah who declined to give a second name.

Markets have emptied and prices for basic necessities have soared under Israel's total blockade of food, medicine and fuel.

The Palestinian Health Ministry, which is based in the Israeli-occupied West Bank but has nominal authority over hospitals in Gaza, said Gaza's entire healthcare system was at risk of collapse.