Sources: Qaani Warns Iraqi Factions against Provoking the Americans

The pro-Iran factions in Iraq have for weeks been toning down their rhetoric and hostile activity after coming under international pressure and given the American strikes against the Houthis. (Reuters file)
The pro-Iran factions in Iraq have for weeks been toning down their rhetoric and hostile activity after coming under international pressure and given the American strikes against the Houthis. (Reuters file)
TT

Sources: Qaani Warns Iraqi Factions against Provoking the Americans

The pro-Iran factions in Iraq have for weeks been toning down their rhetoric and hostile activity after coming under international pressure and given the American strikes against the Houthis. (Reuters file)
The pro-Iran factions in Iraq have for weeks been toning down their rhetoric and hostile activity after coming under international pressure and given the American strikes against the Houthis. (Reuters file)

Trusted sources informed Asharq Al-Awsat that commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ Quds Forces Esmail Qaani has warned Iraqi armed factions “against provoking the Americans and Israelis” or risk the US attacking them the way it is the Houthis in Yemen.

The pro-Iran factions in Iraq have for weeks been toning down their rhetoric and hostile activity after coming under international pressure and given the American strikes against the Houthis.

The sources revealed that Qaani had delivered his message from the Iranian leadership during a recent visit to Iraq.

He asked them against carrying out “any military activity during their critical phase.”

“A single spark could ignite the Iraqi front,” he warned. The factions were “relieved” by the message given the pressure they have been facing for months, said the sources.

Tehran believes that the US “will not hesitate in attacking Iraq if the factions there act to support the Houthis,” they went on to say.

Media reports said Qaani had visited Baghdad last week where he met with politicians in the pro-Iran Coordination Framework and leaders of armed factions. His visits are often held in secret but not this time.

Qaani reiterated Tehran’s “commitment to supporting its allies in Baghdad should they come under American pressure,” added the reports.

Houthis shut Iraqi HQ

Meanwhile, the Yemeni Houthis shut a “strategic” headquarters in a high-class neighborhood near the Green Zone in Baghdad, revealed the sources.

They told Asharq Al-Awsat that a Shiite party from the Framework had helped the Houthis set up the headquarters in 2023. The facility had raised Houthi banners and posters of its leader Abdel Malik al-Houthi.

The sources explained that the position oversaw business and media operations in Baghdad that intensified after Hamas’ al-Aqsa Flood Operation against Israel in October 2023 that sparked the war on Gaza and prompted the Houthis to start attacks on shipping in the Red Sea.

The Houthi center was shut in wake of the US strikes on Yemen and at the “firm advice of a Shiite faction,” said the sources. The Houthis complied with the demand and shut the center after noting the Shiite consensus in Baghdad on halting any provocative acts.

The Houthis boast two other centers in Baghdad and another in southern Iraq that they may also close under pressure from the Framework.

The Iraqi government had denied a Foreign Policy report that the Houthis were training their members in the Diyala province.

On March 18, US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth discussed with Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani the military operations aimed at “eliminating the Houthi threat to American commerce and restoring American freedom of navigation,” said the Pentagon.

Meanwhile, the legitimate Yemeni government confirmed that it was “monitoring Houthi militia activity in any country and the harm they are causing to Arab national security.”

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, Information Minister Moammar al-Eryani called on the Iraqi government to “stand firmly against any Houthi media, political or logistic activity on Iraqi territories.”

He urged it to take “clear steps to ensure that Iraq is not used as a platform or a haven for any entity that threatens the security of Yemen or the region.”

The Yemeni government “is confident that Iraq will not allow itself to be part of the chaos that Iran is seeking to impose through its proxies in the region,” he added.

For a week, the US has been striking Houthi positions in the Yemeni capital Sanaa and the provinces of Saada, al-Bayda and al-Jawf in response to their attacks on Red Sea shipping.

US President Donald Trump vowed to “annihilate” the Houthis, warning Iran against continuing to support them.

The Houthis remained defiant, saying they will continue to attack American vessels in the Red Sea.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.