UN, ICRC and MSF Warn of Humanitarian Consequences in Yemen Due to Recent Military Escalation

FILED - 24 April 2019, Yemen, Sanaa: A Yemeni boy receives a cholera vaccination during a house-to-house immunization campaign. Photo: Hani Al-Ansi/dpa
FILED - 24 April 2019, Yemen, Sanaa: A Yemeni boy receives a cholera vaccination during a house-to-house immunization campaign. Photo: Hani Al-Ansi/dpa
TT

UN, ICRC and MSF Warn of Humanitarian Consequences in Yemen Due to Recent Military Escalation

FILED - 24 April 2019, Yemen, Sanaa: A Yemeni boy receives a cholera vaccination during a house-to-house immunization campaign. Photo: Hani Al-Ansi/dpa
FILED - 24 April 2019, Yemen, Sanaa: A Yemeni boy receives a cholera vaccination during a house-to-house immunization campaign. Photo: Hani Al-Ansi/dpa

International organizations have raised the alarm about malnutrition in several Yemeni regions and warned of the consequences of the recent military escalation in the country.

The International Committee of the Red Cross stressed last week that any further escalation could further worsen the humanitarian crisis that Yemenis are experiencing after more than 10 years of conflict.

Civilians must be spared from attacks, the Committee said, adding that hospitals and essential infrastructure must be protected from military operations while aid must reach those who need it.

It also called on all parties to uphold international humanitarian law, particularly the need to protect civilians and civilian objects, humanitarian workers and medical teams.

“We remain committed to delivering lifesaving assistance and responding to the urgent needs of those so heavily affected,” the ICRC said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) warned of a crisis as the numbers of malnourished children rise in Yemen.

In a statement appealing for greater financial support following a decline in humanitarian funding for the country, MSF warned that malnutrition is growing in Yemen with needs outpacing current treatment capacity.

It affirmed that malnutrition was particularly growing among women and children, noting that the percentage of pregnant women with malnutrition and severe health conditions have increased, which negatively affects newborn Yemeni children.

MSF said health facilities in Yemen are becoming increasingly overwhelmed with the number of children with malnutrition, measles, cholera and diphtheria.

The organization is present in 13 governorates, treating patients suffering the long-term effects of war and conflict, including malnutrition, child and maternal care, and mental health services.

It emphasized the need for funding to support targeted food assistance for vulnerable groups, especially children under five and pregnant and breastfeeding women and girls.

MSF also called for an urgent life-saving response to support overwhelmed healthcare system.

In a related development, UNICEF confirmed that Yemen still records the highest rates of malnutrition worldwide, especially among children.

In a recent report, the UN agency said that in many parts of the country, access to food, clean water, and healthcare remains critically inadequate as a result of Yemen's ongoing conflict and economic crisis.

“This have fueled a devastating malnutrition crisis, with the highest rates globally,” it said.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.