Italy Pledges 68 Million Euros in Aid for Syria

Italy's Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani speaks during the presentation of the Action plan for exports to non-EU markets, at Villa Madama in Rome, Friday, March 21, 2025 (Roberto Monaldo/LaPresse via AP)
Italy's Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani speaks during the presentation of the Action plan for exports to non-EU markets, at Villa Madama in Rome, Friday, March 21, 2025 (Roberto Monaldo/LaPresse via AP)
TT
20

Italy Pledges 68 Million Euros in Aid for Syria

Italy's Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani speaks during the presentation of the Action plan for exports to non-EU markets, at Villa Madama in Rome, Friday, March 21, 2025 (Roberto Monaldo/LaPresse via AP)
Italy's Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani speaks during the presentation of the Action plan for exports to non-EU markets, at Villa Madama in Rome, Friday, March 21, 2025 (Roberto Monaldo/LaPresse via AP)

Italy has earmarked some 68 million euros ($73.20 million) to finance humanitarian projects and rebuild infrastructure in Syria, Rome's foreign minister told lawmakers on Thursday, saying it was crucial to support the transition in Damascus.
Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) seized power in Syria in December, toppling former president Bashar al-Assad.
"An initial package has been earmarked for humanitarian initiatives in the hospital and health sector, in infrastructure, and in strengthening food supply chains," Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani told a parliamentary hearing.
"New cooperation projects will start in the coming weeks. And we also intend to organize a business forum aimed at reconstruction," he added, according to Reuters.
Earlier this month, donors at a European Union-led conference pledged 5.8 billion euros to help Syria's new authorities with the challenges of the transition.
EU countries have also suspended a range of sanctions against Syria, including restrictions related to energy, banking, transport and reconstruction.



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.