Sudanese Ex-Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: We’re in Contact with Trump Administration on Ways to End the War

Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance and former Minister Khalid Omer Yousif. (Khalid Omer Yousif on X)
Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance and former Minister Khalid Omer Yousif. (Khalid Omer Yousif on X)
TT

Sudanese Ex-Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: We’re in Contact with Trump Administration on Ways to End the War

Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance and former Minister Khalid Omer Yousif. (Khalid Omer Yousif on X)
Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance and former Minister Khalid Omer Yousif. (Khalid Omer Yousif on X)

Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance Khalid Omer Yousif revealed that the coalition is in contact with the Donald Trump administration to end the two-year war in Sudan.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Yousif, a former minister of cabinet affairs in ex-Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s government, praised British and European countries that will hold in London on Tuesday a conference to discuss means to end the war in Sudan.

The conference, called for by Britain, Germany and France, will be attended by the foreign ministers of 20 countries and also tackle efforts to help the millions of Sudanese people who have been displaced by the conflict.

The British organizers have excluded the warring parties from attending the meeting, but a delegation from Sumoud, the country’s largest coalition of civilian parties and forces, has been invited. Sumoud is led by Hamdok, who has been on a visit to Britain for a few days now.

The London conference is a “positive step” in uniting international efforts towards Sudan given that its conflict - despite its enormity - has been overshadowed by the wars in Gaza, Lebanon, Syria and Ukraine, Yousif remarked.

He confirmed that contacts are ongoing between Sumoud and the warring parties: army commander Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) leader Mohammed Hamdan Daglo.

Moreover, Yousif said that the United Nations has estimated that Sudan needs USD6 billion to confront its humanitarian needs in 2025, but so far only 4 percent of that amount has been collected.

He stated that Sumoud has made several proposals aimed at ending the war, including holding a meeting between the UN Security Council and African Union Peace and Security Council, holding another donor conference, and launching African-sponsored political dialogue.

Hamdok has sent these proposals to UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy, Yousif revealed.

International division

Yousif lamented that the international community appears divided over how to approach Sudan, stressing however that the solution should come from the Sudanese people themselves.

“The responsibility lies primarily with them,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He acknowledged, however, that the regional and international division “surrounding us is complicating the crisis and making it harder for the Sudanese to reach solutions.”

“So, we have communicated with the international community to make solutions easier for us, and not to obstruct them. This is at the heart of our communication with the international community,” he explained.

Moreover, he warned that the “war no longer threatens Sudan alone. But it has become a danger to the security of the region, especially with the presence of terrorist groups in some neighboring countries.”

The war has effectively started to impact the security and stability of neighboring countries, and similar conflicts to the ones in Sudan have started to erupt there, he remarked.

Sudan is connected to several strategic regions – the Sahel, Sahara, Red Sea and North Africa – so its war not only threatens the Sudanese, but the region and so it is in the interest of the international community to stop it, Yousif urged.

US role under Trump

On the role the Trump administration can play in resolving the war, the former minister said: “We hope the administration can develop a clear vision over how to help the Sudanese end the conflict.”

He hoped that as the US exerts efforts in ending conflicts across the globe, that it would apply these same efforts in his country.

“Successive administrations have made positive statements towards the Sudanese people and they have worked on reaching negotiated solutions” between them, he noted.

Hope despite the destruction

Yousif said he remains hopeful that the war can be stopped despite the massive losses in life and destruction in the country.

“We hope the Sudanese people will shun violence and turn to solutions to their differences through dialogue and peaceful means,” he stressed.

He revealed that he derives his hope from the growing awareness among the people that peaceful means are the way forward in ending the unrest.

He acknowledged, however, that the war has caused deep divisions among the people and is threatening the fragmentation of Sudan.

These divisions are “the greatest threat facing the unity of the country,” he went on to say.

Ending the fighting and engaging in serious dialogue between the Sudanese parties is the only way to maintain the country’s unity and sovereignty, he added.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.