Sudanese Ex-Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: We’re in Contact with Trump Administration on Ways to End the War

Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance and former Minister Khalid Omer Yousif. (Khalid Omer Yousif on X)
Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance and former Minister Khalid Omer Yousif. (Khalid Omer Yousif on X)
TT

Sudanese Ex-Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: We’re in Contact with Trump Administration on Ways to End the War

Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance and former Minister Khalid Omer Yousif. (Khalid Omer Yousif on X)
Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance and former Minister Khalid Omer Yousif. (Khalid Omer Yousif on X)

Leading member of Sudan’s Sumoud alliance Khalid Omer Yousif revealed that the coalition is in contact with the Donald Trump administration to end the two-year war in Sudan.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Yousif, a former minister of cabinet affairs in ex-Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s government, praised British and European countries that will hold in London on Tuesday a conference to discuss means to end the war in Sudan.

The conference, called for by Britain, Germany and France, will be attended by the foreign ministers of 20 countries and also tackle efforts to help the millions of Sudanese people who have been displaced by the conflict.

The British organizers have excluded the warring parties from attending the meeting, but a delegation from Sumoud, the country’s largest coalition of civilian parties and forces, has been invited. Sumoud is led by Hamdok, who has been on a visit to Britain for a few days now.

The London conference is a “positive step” in uniting international efforts towards Sudan given that its conflict - despite its enormity - has been overshadowed by the wars in Gaza, Lebanon, Syria and Ukraine, Yousif remarked.

He confirmed that contacts are ongoing between Sumoud and the warring parties: army commander Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) leader Mohammed Hamdan Daglo.

Moreover, Yousif said that the United Nations has estimated that Sudan needs USD6 billion to confront its humanitarian needs in 2025, but so far only 4 percent of that amount has been collected.

He stated that Sumoud has made several proposals aimed at ending the war, including holding a meeting between the UN Security Council and African Union Peace and Security Council, holding another donor conference, and launching African-sponsored political dialogue.

Hamdok has sent these proposals to UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy, Yousif revealed.

International division

Yousif lamented that the international community appears divided over how to approach Sudan, stressing however that the solution should come from the Sudanese people themselves.

“The responsibility lies primarily with them,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He acknowledged, however, that the regional and international division “surrounding us is complicating the crisis and making it harder for the Sudanese to reach solutions.”

“So, we have communicated with the international community to make solutions easier for us, and not to obstruct them. This is at the heart of our communication with the international community,” he explained.

Moreover, he warned that the “war no longer threatens Sudan alone. But it has become a danger to the security of the region, especially with the presence of terrorist groups in some neighboring countries.”

The war has effectively started to impact the security and stability of neighboring countries, and similar conflicts to the ones in Sudan have started to erupt there, he remarked.

Sudan is connected to several strategic regions – the Sahel, Sahara, Red Sea and North Africa – so its war not only threatens the Sudanese, but the region and so it is in the interest of the international community to stop it, Yousif urged.

US role under Trump

On the role the Trump administration can play in resolving the war, the former minister said: “We hope the administration can develop a clear vision over how to help the Sudanese end the conflict.”

He hoped that as the US exerts efforts in ending conflicts across the globe, that it would apply these same efforts in his country.

“Successive administrations have made positive statements towards the Sudanese people and they have worked on reaching negotiated solutions” between them, he noted.

Hope despite the destruction

Yousif said he remains hopeful that the war can be stopped despite the massive losses in life and destruction in the country.

“We hope the Sudanese people will shun violence and turn to solutions to their differences through dialogue and peaceful means,” he stressed.

He revealed that he derives his hope from the growing awareness among the people that peaceful means are the way forward in ending the unrest.

He acknowledged, however, that the war has caused deep divisions among the people and is threatening the fragmentation of Sudan.

These divisions are “the greatest threat facing the unity of the country,” he went on to say.

Ending the fighting and engaging in serious dialogue between the Sudanese parties is the only way to maintain the country’s unity and sovereignty, he added.



Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the U.N.'s role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."


Few People Left at Syria Camp that Held ISIS Families, Former Director Says

Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
TT

Few People Left at Syria Camp that Held ISIS Families, Former Director Says

Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Children, part of a group of detainees, look through a fence at al-Hol camp after the Syrian government took control of it following the withdrawal of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Hasaka, Syria, January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi

Fewer than 1,000 families remain at a camp where relatives of suspected ISIS militants had been held in Syria's northeast, the camp's former director said on Wednesday, with thousands having fled last month as government forces seized control of the area from Kurdish-led fighters.

Al-Hol, near the Iraqi border, was one of the main detention camps for relatives of suspected ISIS militants who were detained during the US-backed campaign against the terrorist group in Syria.

Control of the camp changed hands last month when government forces under President Ahmed al-Sharaa seized swathes of the northeast from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, including several jails holding ISIS militants. The US military said last week it had completed a mission to transfer 5,700 adult male ISIS detainees to Iraq.

Jihan Hanna, the former director who still coordinates with international agencies and the Syrian government, told Reuters the remaining families were Syrian nationals and were being transferred to a camp in Aleppo. Most of the camp’s foreign nationals had fled, she said.

The Syrian government did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

According to the latest camp data obtained by Reuters, dated January 19 - a day before the government took control of the camp - its population was 6,639 families comprising 23,407 people, mostly Syrians and Iraqis, as well as 6,280 foreigners from more than 40 nationalities.

UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, said it had observed "a significant decrease in the number of residents in al-Hol camp in recent weeks," adding in a statement to Reuters that there were no confirmed figures on the remaining population.

"Over the weekend the camp administration advised UNHCR not to enter the camp due to the unrest and anxiety in the camp," UNHCR added.

The Syrian government accused the SDF of withdrawing from al-Hol on January 20 without any coordination.

The SDF, in a statement that day, said its forces had been "compelled to withdraw from al-Hol camp and redeploy to areas surrounding cities in northern Syria that are facing increasing risks and threats."

A Syrian government security source said most people in the camp fled that day during a five-hour period when it was unguarded, and that some had left with men who came to take their relatives to unknown destinations.

The security source and a source from a non-governmental organization working there said a section of the camp that housed its most dangerous residents, known as the annex, was empty.

The security source said the escapees had spread throughout Syria and that security authorities, working in cooperation with international partners, had established a unit to "follow up on the matter and pursue those who are wanted."

Some have left Syria.

In Lebanon, the army has questioned more than a dozen Lebanese who crossed illegally from Syria after leaving al-Hol, a Lebanese security source said.

The Syrian government’s Directorate of International Cooperation said on Tuesday that hundreds of people, mostly women and children, had been transferred from al-Hol to a newly prepared camp near the town of Akhtarin in northern Aleppo.


Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".