Israeli Probe into Killings of 15 Palestinian Medics in Gaza Finds ‘Professional Failures’

Palestinians mourn medics, who came under Israeli fire while on a rescue mission, after their bodies were recovered, according to the Red Crescent, at Nasser hospital in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip March 31, 2025. (Reuters)
Palestinians mourn medics, who came under Israeli fire while on a rescue mission, after their bodies were recovered, according to the Red Crescent, at Nasser hospital in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip March 31, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Probe into Killings of 15 Palestinian Medics in Gaza Finds ‘Professional Failures’

Palestinians mourn medics, who came under Israeli fire while on a rescue mission, after their bodies were recovered, according to the Red Crescent, at Nasser hospital in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip March 31, 2025. (Reuters)
Palestinians mourn medics, who came under Israeli fire while on a rescue mission, after their bodies were recovered, according to the Red Crescent, at Nasser hospital in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip March 31, 2025. (Reuters)

An Israeli investigation into the killings of 15 Palestinian medics last month in Gaza by Israeli forces said Sunday it found “professional failures” and a deputy commander will be fired.

Israel at first claimed that the medics' vehicles did not have emergency signals on when troops opened fire but later backtracked. Cellphone video recovered from one of the medics contradicted Israel’s initial account.

The military investigation found that the deputy battalion commander, “due to poor night visibility,” assessed that the ambulances belonged to Hamas fighters. Video footage obtained from the incident shows the ambulances had lights flashing and logos visible as they pulled up to help another ambulance that came under fire earlier. The teams do not appear to be acting unusually or in a threatening manner as three medics emerge and head toward it.

Their vehicles immediately come under a barrage of gunfire that goes on for more than five minutes with brief pauses.

Bodies were buried in a mass grave

Eight Red Crescent personnel, six Civil Defense workers and a UN staffer were killed in the shooting before dawn on March 23 by troops conducting operations in Tel al-Sultan, a district of the southern Gaza city of Rafah. Troops bulldozed over the bodies along with their mangled vehicles, burying them in a mass grave. UN and rescue workers were only able to reach the site a week later to dig out the bodies.

The head of the Palestinian Red Crescent Society has said the men were “targeted at close range.”

The Israeli military investigation said the examination found "no evidence to support claims of execution or that any of the deceased were bound before or after the shooting."

It said the Palestinians were killed due to an “operational misunderstanding” by Israeli forces, and that a separate incident 15 minutes later, when Israeli soldiers shot at a Palestinian UN vehicle, was a breach of orders.

The deputy commander who will be dismissed was the first to open fire and the rest of the soldiers also started shooting, the investigation said.

The findings asserted that six of those killed were Hamas members and said some of the others were originally misidentified as Hamas. Israel’s military initially said nine were militants. The Civil Defense is part of the Hamas-run government.

The investigation found that the decision to crush the ambulances was wrong but said there was no attempt to conceal the event. Maj. Gen Yoav Har-Even, in charge of the military’s investigative branch, said the bodies and vehicles were removed from the road because the military wanted to use it for an evacuation route later that day.

Har-Even said the military notified international organizations about the shooting that day and helped them locate the bodies.

The statement on the findings concluded by saying that Israel’s military “regrets the harm caused to uninvolved civilians.” The one survivor was detained for investigation and remains in custody for further questioning.

The investigation's findings have been turned over the Military Advocate General, which can decide whether to file charges. It is meant to be an independent body, with oversight by Israel’s attorney general and Supreme Court.

There are no outside investigations of the killings underway.

Israel has accused Hamas of moving and hiding its fighters inside ambulances and emergency vehicles, as well as in hospitals and other civilian infrastructure, arguing that justifies strikes on them. Medical personnel largely deny the accusations.

Israeli strikes have killed more than 150 emergency responders from the Red Crescent and Civil Defense, most of them while on duty, as well as over 1,000 health workers during the war, according to the UN The Israeli military rarely investigates such incidents.

Israel disputes ICC accusations of war crimes

Palestinians and international human rights groups have repeatedly accused Israel’s military of failing to properly investigate or whitewashing misconduct by its troops.

Har-Even said the Israeli military is currently investigating 421 incidents during the war, with 51 concluded and sent to the Military Advocate General. There was no immediate information on the number of investigations involving potential wrongful deaths or how many times the MAG has pursued criminal charges.

The International Criminal Court, established by the international community as a court of last resort, has accused Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former defense minister Yoav Gallant of war crimes. Israel, which is not a member of the court, has long asserted that its legal system is capable of investigating the army, and Netanyahu has accused the ICC of antisemitism.

The war in Gaza began when Hamas-led gunmen attacked southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, killing about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting 251. Most of the hostages have been released in ceasefire agreements or other deals. Hamas currently holds 59 hostages, 24 of them believed to be alive.

Israel’s offensive has since killed over 51,000 Palestinians, mostly women and children, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which does not distinguish between civilians and combatants.

The war has destroyed vast parts of Gaza and most of its food production capabilities. Around 90% of the population is displaced, with hundreds of thousands of people living in tent camps and bombed-out buildings.

Frustration has been growing on both sides, with rare public protests against Hamas in Gaza and continued weekly rallies in Israel pressing the government to reach a deal to bring all hostages home.



Israeli Druze Leader Says Syrian Community 'Besieged' Months after Clashes

Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif, the spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel, during an interview in the village of Julis on February 15, 2026 (AFP)
Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif, the spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel, during an interview in the village of Julis on February 15, 2026 (AFP)
TT

Israeli Druze Leader Says Syrian Community 'Besieged' Months after Clashes

Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif, the spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel, during an interview in the village of Julis on February 15, 2026 (AFP)
Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif, the spiritual leader of the Druze community in Israel, during an interview in the village of Julis on February 15, 2026 (AFP)

Seven months after deadly clashes between Syria's Druze minority and government-backed forces, the spiritual leader of Druze in neighboring Israel said members of the community across the border remained in peril.

"They're still besieged -- completely encircled. They aren't allowed to bring in any humanitarian aid, including the aid we're trying to deliver," Sheikh Mowafaq Tarif told AFP in an interview this week.

The cleric spoke in Julis, a quiet Druze village in northern Israel, where the community has set up an "emergency room" to coordinate aid efforts for Druze in Syria.

Israeli and Druze flags hang on the walls of the room, alongside posters in Hebrew and Arabic calling for an end to the killing of Syrian Druze.

The Druze spread across parts of Syria, Israel, Lebanon and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Clashes erupted last July in southern Syria between Druze fighters and Bedouin tribes.

The Syrian authorities said their forces intervened to stop the clashes.

Israel bombed Syria during the violence, saying it was acting to defend the minority group.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs estimated that some 187,000 people were displaced by the violence.

- 'Why not let them return?' -

"There are still more than 120,000 people displaced from their homes," Sheikh Tarif said.

"Thirty-eight villages have been captured, and residents aren't allowed to return. There are more than 300 captives, including children and women."

AFP was unable to verify those claims.

Although a ceasefire was reached in July, access to Sweida remains difficult.

Residents accuse the government of imposing a blockade on the province, which Damascus denies. Several aid convoys have entered since then.

"Why not let them return to their villages? We're in the depths of winter and that is a mountainous area. It's very cold," Tarif said.

With Syria's government and Kurdish-led forces agreeing last month to integrate Kurdish fighters and civil institutions into state structures, Sweida is the last major area outside Damascus's control.

Tarif said the community did not need government security forces in the region.

"The Druze have forces capable of defending themselves and maintaining order," he said.

Nevertheless, Israel and Syria, which have no official diplomatic ties, have held several rounds of direct talks in recent months.

Following negotiations in January, and under US pressure, both sides agreed to set up an intelligence-sharing mechanism as they moved toward a security agreement.

One issue under discussion is the possibility of Syrian Druze working in Israel.

Sheikh Tarif confirmed "that is something we have heard" and added that he wished any Syrian could come to work as a daily laborer "because the (economic) situation in Syria is very difficult".

He also called for Druze across the Middle East to be able to visit their religious sites in neighboring countries, "just as our Christian and Muslim brothers visit their holy places" in states with which they may not have diplomatic relations.

"The Druze also deserve to access and pray at our holy sites in Syria and Lebanon and for them to come visit our holy places" in Israel, he said.


US Calls on Sudan Parties to Immediately Accept Humanitarian Truce

US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)
US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)
TT

US Calls on Sudan Parties to Immediately Accept Humanitarian Truce

US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)
US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos addresses the UN Security Council. (US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos on X)

US Senior Advisor for Arab and African Affairs Massad Boulos revealed on Friday that the US had called on all Sudanese parties to immediately and unconditionally accept a humanitarian truce backed by the United Nations mechanism.

Boulos took part in several diplomatic meetings on the sidelines of a UN Security Council meeting on Sudan.

The US calls on all parties to accept the truce so that lifesaving aid can be delivered to civilians and so that dialogue can kick off, he stressed.

He said the US continues to work with its partners towards achieving fair and permanent peace in Sudan. He underlined their commitment to holding those responsible for genocide in Sudan to account.

They also back the trusted transition towards civilian rule, he added.

The Sudanese people deserve to live in security, dignity and without fear, Boulos said.

He joined other world leaders at the Security Council “to address the dire crisis in Sudan and the urgent need to end more than 1,000 days of needless conflict,” he wrote on X.

“The Council delivered a clear and unified message: there is no military solution to this conflict, and the time to end the fighting is now,” he added.

“The suffering of the Sudanese people has been devastating — with widespread displacement, food insecurity, and atrocities that demand both global attention and action. I reaffirmed that achieving durable peace in Sudan remains a priority for US President Donald Trump and underscored America’s commitment to helping bring this war to an end,” Boulos stated.

He outlined “five key pillars for international alignment: an immediate humanitarian truce; sustained humanitarian access and protection of civilians; a permanent ceasefire and credible security arrangements; an inclusive, civilian-led political transition; and a long-term path toward recovery and reconstruction that restores stability and opportunity for the Sudanese people.”

“The United States will continue working closely with allies and partners, including our Quad partners, the UK, and others to press for a humanitarian truce and expand life-saving assistance,” he vowed.

“We will also continue holding accountable those responsible for atrocities, even as we push urgently for the peace the Sudanese people deserve,” he declared.


Somalia Moves to Contain Public Criticism Over Türkiye Ties

Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)
Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)
TT

Somalia Moves to Contain Public Criticism Over Türkiye Ties

Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)
Turkish President and his Somali counterpart Hassan Sheikh Mohamud (Somali National News Agency)

Growing cooperation between Mogadishu and Ankara has drawn domestic criticism in Somalia over what some describe as a “one-sided benefit” for Türkiye, prompting Somali authorities to stress that the country’s sovereignty and the rights of its people remain unaffected.

The official denial issued on Friday comes amid tensions between the government and the opposition ahead of pivotal elections later this year.

A Somali affairs expert told Asharq Al-Awsat the move was aimed at containing any potential crisis with Türkiye, which he described as a strategic ally that Mogadishu needs.

He said Ankara was likely to understand the situation and continue its presence in Somalia, given its strategic interests in the Horn of Africa.

Cooperation between Mogadishu and Ankara has appeared more active against the backdrop of the Somali government’s internal disputes with the opposition and following Israel’s recognition of the breakaway region of Somaliland in December.

Somali denial

The Somali National News Agency reported on Friday, citing official sources, that “some social media accounts circulated claims alleging that the Turkish government is unilaterally benefiting from Somalia’s natural and energy resources, particularly the oil sector.”

It added that “these allegations are baseless and fall within disinformation campaigns aimed at distorting facts and undermining the existing cooperation between the two countries.”

Official Somali sources clarified that the joint agreement signed between Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO) and the Somali Petroleum Authority explicitly stipulates that natural resources belong to the Somali people, and that exploration and production operations are conducted in accordance with national legal frameworks and in a manner that safeguards the state’s sovereign interests.

Officials from both the Somali and Turkish sides also stressed that the energy partnership is based on transparency, mutual respect and the preservation of Somalia’s sovereignty.

The remarks come amid a political crisis between the government and the opposition ahead of direct elections this year, a key point of contention.

Less than a week ago, the vessel “Cagri Bey” departed from Türkiye for Somalia, where it will begin offshore oil exploration as part of the implementation of economic and defense cooperation agreements signed by the two governments, the agency reported on Feb. 15.

Somali political analyst Abdulweli Beri said criticism portraying the trajectory of relations between Mogadishu and Ankara as “one-sided” is “not entirely new, but has intensified now for several political and economic reasons.”

He noted that agreements related to oil, gas and minerals are always highly sensitive in any developing country because they concern sovereignty and future wealth. “In the Somali case, any perception that an external party may obtain a large share or long-term privileges automatically raises concerns among elites and the opposition,” he said.

Political polarization

The current debate, Beri said, comes amid political polarization ahead of the elections. “The opposition tends to scrutinize any strategic agreements concluded by the government, which remains more vulnerable to criticism. In the absence of full clarity on some details, this information gap is often filled by political narratives or public concerns.”

He said the official Somali clarifications were intended to contain the accusations and prevent them from affecting cooperation projects, given the need for a strategic alliance with Türkiye.

The statements come amid growing bilateral ties between Somalia and Türkiye, spanning infrastructure, social services, security and investment, within a framework of partnership between two independent states linked by close friendship and cooperation, the Somali National News Agency reported on Friday.

Expanding partnership

Turkish-Somali cooperation is not limited to the energy sector. On Feb. 18, Interior Security Minister Gen. Abdullahi Sheikh Ismail received military equipment for the national police from the Turkish ambassador to Somalia, according to the agency.

On Feb. 10, the Somali Communications Authority signed a memorandum of understanding with Türkiye’s Information and Communication Technologies Authority to enhance cooperation in the field of electronic communications, the same source said.

On Jan. 28, Somalia and Türkiye marked the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations at a ceremony organized by the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Somalia in Ankara, the Turkish capital.

Beri said Somalia would remain keen to preserve and continue this cooperation and to provide ongoing clarifications, though they should be more detailed to dispel the accusations. He added that Ankara was likely to understand this and maintain its presence in Somalia, viewing it as strategic to its interests in the Horn of Africa.