Lebanon, UNIFIL Reaffirm Commitment to Continuing Peacekeeping Patrols

A UNIFIL vehicle patrols along the Blue Line between Lebanon and Israel (UNIFIL)
A UNIFIL vehicle patrols along the Blue Line between Lebanon and Israel (UNIFIL)
TT

Lebanon, UNIFIL Reaffirm Commitment to Continuing Peacekeeping Patrols

A UNIFIL vehicle patrols along the Blue Line between Lebanon and Israel (UNIFIL)
A UNIFIL vehicle patrols along the Blue Line between Lebanon and Israel (UNIFIL)

Lebanon’s government and the United Nations peacekeeping force (UNIFIL) have reaffirmed that patrols in southern Lebanon would continue uninterrupted, after two young men briefly blocked a UNIFIL convoy in the first such incident since a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah took effect in November.

Two local youths riding a motorcycle intercepted a UNIFIL armored patrol vehicle on Friday, forcing it to withdraw. A video circulated online showed one of the men saying, “They are not allowed to enter without the Lebanese army.”

The incident occurred in Tayr Debba, some 20 km north of the Israeli border but still geographically south of the Litani River.

Candice Ardell, deputy director of the UNIFIL Media Office, said peacekeepers were conducting a patrol in support of UN Security Council Resolution 1701 when their convoy was twice obstructed by civilians.

Peacekeepers took an alternate route and were pursued for a short time, but were able to continue their planned patrol, Ardell said. She added that UNIFIL had reported the incident to the Lebanese army.

Ardell reminded all parties that UNIFIL operates in close coordination with the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) and that any interference in the peacekeepers' duties violates Lebanon's commitments under Resolution 1701.

Government moves to contain incident

Lebanon’s government moved quickly on Saturday to contact the UNIFIL leadership and members of the five-party mechanism overseeing the ceasefire to contain the fallout from the incident.

A senior government source told Asharq Al-Awsat that “immediate high-level contacts were made to confirm that UNIFIL patrols will continue and that the mission will proceed with its mandate.”

Following the renewal of its mandate last August, UNIFIL pledged to work closely with the LAF, carrying out patrols across its area of operations south of the Litani, where about 20% of patrols are conducted jointly with the Lebanese army.

Last week, Lebanon’s President Joseph Aoun approved the extension of UNIFIL’s mandate for another year.

UNIFIL forces remain visible on the ground around the clock under the authority granted by Resolution 1701, which is the framework for maintaining stability in southern Lebanon along the Blue Line separating Israel and Lebanon.

The ceasefire monitoring mechanism - known as the “Quintet” - includes UNIFIL, the Lebanese army, the Israeli army, and representatives from the United States and France, with Washington currently leading the group.

Public anger simmers

The obstruction has raised questions about whether the incident was a deliberate message to UNIFIL, possibly linked to Hezbollah.

Before the outbreak of hostilities on October 8, 2023, Hezbollah was often accused of orchestrating similar incidents through civilians to restrict UNIFIL’s movements.

However, retired Brig. Gen. Mounir Shehadeh, a former government coordinator with UNIFIL, said the latest incident appeared to be an isolated act.

“This was an individual action by a citizen and had nothing to do with Hezbollah,” Shehadeh told Asharq Al-Awsat, adding that the group had shown full cooperation with the army since the ceasefire began.

Still, Shehadeh acknowledged growing frustration among southern residents over what they see as UNIFIL’s failure to deter Israeli violations.

“People feel that while Lebanon is expected to fulfill all its obligations, Israel is not held accountable,” he said, pointing to daily Israeli raids, home demolitions, and cross-border attacks.

“This resentment fuels public anger at UNIFIL, but the latest obstruction was a personal act, with no link to Hezbollah,” he emphasized.

Political tensions surface

The incident echoes previous protests against UNIFIL’s movements in southern Lebanon, often blamed on Hezbollah, particularly in the lead-up to the Gaza war.

Ali Mourad, an anti-Hezbollah political activist, said such incidents are shaped by a political environment that fosters suspicion of the United Nations and the Lebanese army.

“These actions are not spontaneous,” Mourad told Asharq Al-Awsat.

“They send a political message - one that ultimately harms Lebanon’s own interests.”

Mourad urged southern political leaders to prioritize cooperation with UNIFIL, noting that both Hezbollah and its ally Amal had previously endorsed the ceasefire agreement.

“Obstructing UNIFIL damages Lebanon’s standing and plays into Israel’s hands by suggesting rejection of Resolution 1701,” Mourad said.

He stressed that any disputes with UNIFIL’s activities should be handled exclusively by the Lebanese state.

“It is the state’s responsibility to coordinate with UNIFIL, not individuals acting on their own,” he said.

“We must entrench the culture of turning to state institutions in all matters of dispute.”

UNIFIL said last Tuesday that its peacekeepers continue to patrol the Blue Line and report independently to the Security Council, even under extreme pressure.

During their patrols, they frequently encounter unexploded ordnance and remnants of war that pose dangers to civilians, the Lebanese army, and the peacekeepers themselves, it said.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.