Rubio Warns Syria May Be Weeks Away from Full-Scale Civil War, Urges Senate to Repeal Caesar Act

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani shakes hands with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, at NEST International Convention Center, in Antalya, Türkiye, May 15, 2025. (Reuters)
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani shakes hands with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, at NEST International Convention Center, in Antalya, Türkiye, May 15, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Rubio Warns Syria May Be Weeks Away from Full-Scale Civil War, Urges Senate to Repeal Caesar Act

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani shakes hands with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, at NEST International Convention Center, in Antalya, Türkiye, May 15, 2025. (Reuters)
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani shakes hands with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, at NEST International Convention Center, in Antalya, Türkiye, May 15, 2025. (Reuters)

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio warned Tuesday that Syria may be only weeks away from a full-scale civil war and called on the Senate to repeal the Caesar Act, which imposed sweeping sanctions on the country.

Speaking before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Rubio argued that current US sanctions are hampering efforts to stabilize Syria and attract much-needed foreign investment. He noted that lifting some sanctions would not be enough as long as the Caesar Act remains in effect.

Rubio said the rationale behind President Donald Trump’s decision to ease sanctions was to pave the way for regional countries to support Syria’s transitional government.

The situation in the country remains volatile, with the potential for wider regional fallout, particularly in neighboring Lebanon, he warned. The situation in Syria will profoundly impact Lebanon.

“This is a historic opportunity,” he underlined, adding that if in two years from now, Syria and Lebanon are both stable, enormous potential for peace, security, and the resolution of long-standing conflicts, could be unlocked.

Following meetings with Syrian transitional leaders last week, Rubio said US intelligence assessments suggest the country could be weeks—not months—away from collapse and a devastating civil war that could fracture Syria irreparably.

He also revealed that the Trump administration will authorize the US ambassador in Türkiye to coordinate with local Syrian officials to assess humanitarian needs. The American embassy in Damascus remains closed for security reasons.

Rubio visited Ankara last week, where he met with Syria’s foreign minister. He indicated that the administration is preparing to begin lifting certain sanctions to allow aid to flow from international partners.

Meanwhile, growing bipartisan support in Congress suggests that such a shift may be politically viable. According to US media reports, Republican and Democratic lawmakers are increasingly open to easing sanctions, with some Republicans reportedly discussing the removal of Syrian interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa from the terrorism watchlist.

That discussion followed Trump’s meeting with Sharaa last week in Saudi Arabia, where he announced plans to lift sanctions on Damascus, describing it as a chance to give the new Syrian leadership “an opportunity to succeed.”

Senate Majority Leader John Thune said there is interest in easing sanctions, but cautioned that concerns remain about Syria’s commitment to democratic reforms and human rights.

Lawmakers from both parties view a potential policy shift as a strategic opportunity to bolster US allies, such as Israel and Türkiye, while diminishing Iran’s influence in the region. Senator Mike Rounds said he believes Sharaa understands that friendship with the US could offer political longevity and economic growth.

A senior White House official told Semafor that the administration’s evolving stance on Syria is part of Trump’s broader “vision for peace” in the region.

However, the official emphasized that it is still too early to discuss investment deals similar to recent agreements between the US and Gulf states, including Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Qatar.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.