Sudan's Interior Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Khartoum Secure, Police Deployed Across Capital

Sudan's Interior Minister Babiker Samra. (Sovereignty Council media)
Sudan's Interior Minister Babiker Samra. (Sovereignty Council media)
TT

Sudan's Interior Minister to Asharq Al-Awsat: Khartoum Secure, Police Deployed Across Capital

Sudan's Interior Minister Babiker Samra. (Sovereignty Council media)
Sudan's Interior Minister Babiker Samra. (Sovereignty Council media)

Sudan's Interior Minister Babiker Samra has urged residents who fled the capital during the war to return, saying Khartoum is now secure following a major police deployment across the city.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Samra said the return of displaced citizens would help reinforce security, noting that "some armed groups operate in deserted neighborhoods with low civilian presence."

"There's no place on earth entirely free of crime, but we are now in a post-war phase, and the police have complete control over the capital and other areas," he said, adding that residents should report any assaults to the police, whose stations now operate around the clock.

Sudanese forces recaptured Khartoum from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in May, after more than two years of fighting that devastated the city and forced millions to flee.

The war, which erupted on April 15, 2023, between the army and the RSF, turned Khartoum and surrounding cities like Omdurman into battlegrounds.

Samra dismissed reports that armed groups disguised in military uniforms were still threatening civilians, saying such groups had been neutralized. "The regular forces are disciplined and protect citizens from criminal gangs," he said.

Crackdown on antiquities smuggling

The minister also revealed that foreign nationals were arrested in the northern city of Atbara attempting to smuggle Sudanese antiquities out of the country. They are now facing trial, though Samra declined to specify their nationalities or intended destination.

"These individuals are part of a criminal network specialized in antiquities theft," he said.

The RSF had previously been accused of looting Sudan’s national museums during the war, with artifacts dating back thousands of years allegedly stolen or destroyed.

Samra pledged to recover smuggled antiquities through cooperation with Interpol. "We are receiving important updates and expect to retrieve key items soon," he said, blaming the RSF for attempting to alter Sudan’s demographic and cultural identity by targeting universities and museums.

A joint committee from the criminal investigation department and the Ministry of Culture has been formed to catalogue looted artifacts and open official cases. "We’ve shared our findings with Interpol," Samra said.

Rebuilding police infrastructure

The minister said restoring damaged police stations targeted by what he called "terrorist militias" remains a key challenge, though some facilities have already been rehabilitated.

He said the Interior Ministry has resumed operations in Khartoum, with 98 out of 101 police stations back online and equipped with both static and mobile patrols.

"When the war broke out, police were present in the capital. But after our facilities were destroyed, we had to relocate forces to safer areas like Karari locality," he added.

Khartoum has seen a gradual return of displaced residents from other states, despite ongoing violence in parts of the country. The army-aligned government, which relocated to the coastal city of Port Sudan early in the war, has been working to restore basic services and bury the dead.

Monumental rebuilding task

Prime Minister Kamal Idris vowed Saturday to rebuild Khartoum, during his first visit to the capital since taking office in May. Touring the destroyed airport, bridges, and water stations, Idris unveiled ambitious reconstruction plans aimed at encouraging millions of displaced residents to return.

"Khartoum will rise again as a proud national capital," he declared.

Army chief and head of the Sovereignty Council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, also arrived at the airport, which was retaken by the army in March after nearly two years under RSF control. The government has estimated the total cost of rebuilding Sudan at $700 billion, with Khartoum alone accounting for nearly half that amount.

Idris later visited the destroyed al-Jaili refinery north of the capital, promising its restoration. The facility, once processing 100,000 barrels per day, was recaptured in January, but repairs are expected to take years and cost at least $1.3 billion.

Meanwhile, the government continues to remove unexploded ordnance and reestablish administrative services in the devastated city, underscoring the immense task of rebuilding Sudan’s capital from the ruins of war.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.