Larijani in Beirut amid Wave of Lebanese Objections against Iranian Meddling

Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) and Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Ali Larijani in Beirut in November. (AP)
Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) and Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Ali Larijani in Beirut in November. (AP)
TT

Larijani in Beirut amid Wave of Lebanese Objections against Iranian Meddling

Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) and Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Ali Larijani in Beirut in November. (AP)
Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) and Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Ali Larijani in Beirut in November. (AP)

Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Ali Larijani arrived in Beirut on Wednesday amid a wave of objections by Lebanese officials over Tehran’s continued “meddling” in their country’s internal affairs.

Iranian officials recently rejected the Lebanese government’s decision last week to disarm Tehran-backed Hezbollah in what Lebanese officials viewed as foreign interference.

Larijani, flying in from Iraq, is set to meet with President Joseph Aoun, parliament Speaker Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam.

No meeting has been scheduled with Foreign Minister Youssef Raggi, revealed sources from the Foreign Ministry.

They told Asharq Al-Awsat that Larijani did not ask for a meeting with Raggi and had he done so, his request would have been rejected in wake of the “unacceptable” statements by Iranian officials over the government’s disarmament decision.

Last week, Ali Akbar Velayati, a senior advisor to Iran's supreme leader, said the government’s move to disarm the group “will fail”.

“Iran rejects the disarmament of Hezbollah and it has long supported the Lebanese people and their resistance. It continues to do so today,” he added.

“This is not the first time that such ideas are floated in Lebanon, but they have failed and they will fail again,” he stressed. “The resistance [Hezbollah] will withstand these conspiracies.”

Raggi, a vocal critic of Iran’s meddling in Lebanon, was quick to condemn his remarks. “Some Iranian officials have gone too far in making suspicious comments about Lebanon’s internal decisions. We will not accept these Iranian practices,” he said.

“No party has the right to speak on behalf of the Lebanese people or claim to have authority over their sovereign decisions,” he stated.

It remains to be seen what Larijani’s visit holds, said sources close to the president. They told Asharq Al-Awsat that Aoun will likely repeat to his guest the “firm principled positions” he continues to uphold.

In February, Aoun met with an Iranian delegation, informing them that “Lebanon has grown weary of others waging their wars on its territory.”

Meanwhile, Lebanese officials have criticized Larijani’s visit, with some demanding that he be turned away.

Democratic Gathering MP Bilal Abdullah said of some foreign visitors: “They should give Lebanon a break.”

“We have had enough of others’ wars on our country,” he told local radio.

In an indirect reference to US envoy Tom Barrack’s visit to Lebanon next week, he hoped that he would urge Israel to stop its violations of Lebanese sovereignty and end its daily assassinations.

Democratic Gathering MP Akram Chehayeb condemned in a post on X the visits by Iranian officials and “their decision to again meddle in Lebanon after everything that has happened.”

He dismissed their remarks as “delusions” and “unrealistic”, adding: “They don’t know when to quit.”

On Monday, Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea said the government “must seriously consider calling the Arab League and Gulf Cooperation Council to hold emergency meetings to address the Iranian threat against Lebanon.”

In a statement, he also suggested that it file a complaint to the United Nations Security Council over “Iran’s threats to Lebanon.”

Also on Monday, Kataeb leader MP Sami Gemayel expressed his party's “categorical rejection” of remarks by Iranian officials “because they are a violation of Lebanon’s sovereignty and its state decisions.”

Hezbollah, meanwhile, continues to defy the government by refusing to disarm.

Party MP Ihab Hamadeh said on Tuesday: “No one should worry about the resistance and its future. Even if they try to remove the legitimacy of the weapons, these weapons have preserved Lebanon. The resistance is the party that gives legitimacy to others and doesn’t need legitimacy from anyone.”

“Along with the army, we have formed the golden equation, while the equation of the army, people and resistance will remain,” he vowed.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.