Lebanon Awaits Visit by US Envoy after his Stop in Israel

US Ambassador to Türkiye and Special Envoy to Syria, Tom Barrack, smiles during a meeting with Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam at the government palace in Beirut, Lebanon, 18 August 2025. (EPA)
US Ambassador to Türkiye and Special Envoy to Syria, Tom Barrack, smiles during a meeting with Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam at the government palace in Beirut, Lebanon, 18 August 2025. (EPA)
TT

Lebanon Awaits Visit by US Envoy after his Stop in Israel

US Ambassador to Türkiye and Special Envoy to Syria, Tom Barrack, smiles during a meeting with Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam at the government palace in Beirut, Lebanon, 18 August 2025. (EPA)
US Ambassador to Türkiye and Special Envoy to Syria, Tom Barrack, smiles during a meeting with Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam at the government palace in Beirut, Lebanon, 18 August 2025. (EPA)

Top US envoy Tom Barrack and Deputy United States Special Envoy to the Middle East Morgan Ortagus are expected to arrive in Lebanon on Monday following a visit to Israel.

Barrack met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday to discuss Syria and Lebanon, three Israeli officials said.

The meeting was first reported by Axios, citing three Israeli and US sources, and followed discussions between Barrack and Israel's Minister for Strategic Affairs Ron Dermer and Defense Minister Israel Katz.

Discussions focused on Washington's request that Israel limit its strikes on Lebanon. They also tackled negotiations with Syria, said the sources according to Reuters.

Meanwhile, in Lebanon, negotiations between the president and Hezbollah have not made any progress over the Iran-backed party laying down its weapons following the government's decision earlier this month to impose state monopoly over arms, revealed informed sources.

They told Asharq Al-Awsat that Hezbollah will not respond to any initiative before Israel's positions become clear.

They reiterated statements by senior Lebanese officials to the Americans that now that the Lebanese state has taken a decision towards limiting the possession of weapons, Israel must do something in return, starting with stopping its daily violations against Lebanon.

Hezbollah will base its position according to whether Israel shows any form of leniency or if it takes a hard line, they explained.

Barrack and Oratgus are set to kick off their meetings with Lebanese officials on Tuesday.

They were in Lebanon last week during which Barrack said that Israel should comply with a plan under which Hezbollah would be disarmed by the end of the year in exchange for a halt to Israel's military operations in Lebanon.

The plan sets out a phased roadmap for armed groups to hand in their arsenals as Israel's military halts ground, air and sea operations and withdraws troops from Lebanon's south.

Hezbollah has refused to disarm, and Barrack said it was now Israel's turn to cooperate.

Commenting on Barrack's upcoming visit, Hezbollah MP Hussein al-Hajj Hassan said: “The envoy returns to Lebanon with answers from the Israeli enemy to the government plan. We know that the US is the source of terrorism in the world and that Israel is its top pawn in carrying it out.”

Those calling for Hezbollah's disarmament or for monopoly over arms “are surrendering to the demands of the enemy and American dictates,” he charged.

He acknowledged that the Lebanese government's policy statement had spoken about sovereignty, deterring Israel, the return of the detainees, reconstruction, and monopoly over arms and decisions of war and peace, “but so far, we have only heard it speak about the monopoly over arms.”

“Is the monopoly Lebanon's only problem? What about the Israeli attacks? What about reconstruction and return of Lebanese detainees from Israeli jails?” he asked.

Moreover, the MP claimed that the government's decision over weapons was a “violation of coexistence. It has disregarded the constitution that defends coexistence. There can be no legitimacy to an authority that contradicts coexistence.”

“We will continue to work towards a Lebanon that belongs to all the Lebanese, not just a segment of them. Most importantly, the resistance and its weapons are central issues that we will defend with all our might,” he vowed.

On the other end of the divide, MP Ashraf Rifi, a vocal Hezbollah critic, stressed that “there can be no state with two sets of weapons. The state can only have one legitimate national army that protects the nation and its sovereignty.”

“Hezbollah's refusal to lay down its weapons is no longer a political issue, but a frank coup against the state,” he warned.

“The Lebanese people are now afraid of the deceit of this party and its weapons,” he added on the 12th anniversary of the bombing of the al-Taqwa and al-Salam mosques in the northern city of Tripoli.

“By refusing to disarm, Hezbollah has only brought tragedies to Lebanon. It is bluntly declaring that it is above the state and law. Its secretary general even openly threatened the Lebanese people by unashamedly saying 'there can be no life in Lebanon' if the army carries out the government's decision.”

“What kind of reasoning is this? Who says this to an entire population? It is as if he is saying 'either you succumb to our weapons, or we raze the country to the ground',” Rifi remarked.

He hailed the “steadfastness and courage” of President Joseph Aoun in confronting the challenges. “We all stand behind him and support the historic decisions taken by the prime minister and government related to monopoly over weapons.”



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.