At a Mass Grave on the Outskirts of Damascus, Some Families Learn the Fate of Missing Loved Ones

 A Syrian Civil Defense worker checks clothes found along with human remains in Otaiba, on the outskirts of Damascus, Syria, Friday, Sept. 19, 2025. (AP)
A Syrian Civil Defense worker checks clothes found along with human remains in Otaiba, on the outskirts of Damascus, Syria, Friday, Sept. 19, 2025. (AP)
TT

At a Mass Grave on the Outskirts of Damascus, Some Families Learn the Fate of Missing Loved Ones

 A Syrian Civil Defense worker checks clothes found along with human remains in Otaiba, on the outskirts of Damascus, Syria, Friday, Sept. 19, 2025. (AP)
A Syrian Civil Defense worker checks clothes found along with human remains in Otaiba, on the outskirts of Damascus, Syria, Friday, Sept. 19, 2025. (AP)

Search teams on Friday pulled some 25 bodies out of a mass grave believed to contain the remains of at least 175 people in a suburb of the capital, Damascus.

Officials said the bodies found in an agricultural field in the suburb of Otaiba belonged to people who had been killed in an ambush by the forces of then-president Bashar al-Assad. They were fleeing the besieged enclave of eastern Ghouta, which was then under the control of opposition forces.

It was the latest grim remnant to surface from the country’s nearly 14-year civil war that ended with Assad's ouster in a lightning opposition offensive in December.

Family members with missing loved ones came to the site in hopes of finding answers. Among them was Samira Alloush, who was looking for her son, Anas Ahmad Alloush, who had been among those besieged in Ghouta. He was 19 when he went missing in 2014.

His mother had held out hope that he would turn out to be alive and in prison and that he would resurface when the prisons were emptied after Assad’s fall. Instead, she found a different answer. Among the dirt-encrusted clothes on the ground, she recognized her son’s jacket.

“I had hope that he would come out of prison and we would sit together again,” she said through sobs. “Goddamn you, Bashar.”

Amer Fahed, commander of operations in the Damascus countryside for the civil defense group known as the White Helmets, said the grave was believed to contain around 175 bodies, but so far only the ones near the surface had been removed.

“We haven’t yet begun to excavate or exhume the mass grave until a specific mechanism is determined by the National Commission for Missing Persons,” he said.

Ammar al-Issa, an official with the missing persons’ commission who was present at the scene, said the number of bodies could be higher, as 200 to 300 people were believed to have been killed in the February 2014 ambush.

“Currently, our response will be only to recover the bone remains found on the ground and the related clothes and in coordination with the Public Prosecution to close and secure this place as a crime scene, until the scientific and systematic exhumation takes place,” he said.

Hundreds of bodies have been found in mass graves scattered around the country since Assad’s fall, but many more likely remain to be uncovered.

An estimated 150,000 people were detained or went missing in Syria since 2011, when mass anti-government protests were met by a brutal crackdown and spiraled into civil war. Many of them are likely buried in unmarked mass graves.

Syria’s interim government formed the national commission tasked with investigating the fate of the missing in May. The commission is now trying to build a national database, but progress has been slow and the number of cases for investigation has continued to grow as more families have come forward since Assad’s fall.

Family members of disappeared Syrians have held demonstrations in Damascus and elsewhere, calling for accountability and for more effort in the ongoing searches so they can finally learn the fate of their loved ones.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.