World Leaders Rally Behind Palestinian Statehood at Saudi-French Conference at UN 

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and French President Emmanuel Macron at Monday's conference in New York. (AFP)
Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and French President Emmanuel Macron at Monday's conference in New York. (AFP)
TT

World Leaders Rally Behind Palestinian Statehood at Saudi-French Conference at UN 

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and French President Emmanuel Macron at Monday's conference in New York. (AFP)
Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and French President Emmanuel Macron at Monday's conference in New York. (AFP)

A majority of countries announced on Monday a clear readiness to recognize a Palestinian state, saying it was a "right, not a reward," while also demanding an end to the war on Gaza.

Saudi Arabia and France chaired on Monday the High-Level International Conference on the Peaceful Settlement of the Question of Palestine and the Implementation of the Two-State Solution on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York.

In a landmark move, France recognized the State of Palestine.

"France today recognizes a State of Palestine," said French President Emmanuel Macron, co-chair of the conference, saying he was supporting "peace between the Israeli and Palestinian peoples."

"The time for peace has come, as we are just moments away from no longer being able to seize it," he added. "The time has come to free the 48 hostages held by Hamas. The time has come to stop the war, the bombings of Gaza, the massacres and the displacement."

Macron, however, said France would not open an embassy to a Palestinian state until a ceasefire is in place in Gaza and all hostages released.

The Palestinian Authority hailed France's "historic and courageous" decision and its delegation gave him a standing ovation.

Australia, Britain, Canada and Portugal also recognized a Palestinian state, piling pressure on Israel as it intensifies its war in Gaza.

Monaco, Belgium, Andorra, Malta and Luxembourg then all recognized from the General Assembly podium, bringing the total number of recognitions to three-quarters of UN membership.

Spain, Ireland and Norway already recognized a Palestinian state in May, and Sweden did so in 2014.

Saudi Foreign Minister and co-chair of the conference Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah called for all countries to recognize a Palestinian state.

"We call on all other countries to take a similar historic step that will have a great impact on supporting the efforts towards implementation of the two-state solution," he urged.

In an address on behalf of Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, he said the conference was a "historic opportunity to achieve peace and it underscores the international commitment to the two-state solution."

He noted that the conference was being held as Israeli continues its "barbaric crimes against the brotherly Palestinian people in Gaza and violations in the West Bank and Jerusalem." It is also carrying out attacks against the sovereignty of Arab and Islamic nations, the most recent of which was the attack on Qatar earlier in September.

He warned that Israel’s "continued aggression is a threat to regional and international security and stability, undermines peace efforts in the region and reinforces our conviction that the two-state solution is the only way to achieve lasting and just peace in the region."

He hailed France and other countries for their recent recognition of the State of Palestine, calling on more countries to do so.

These moves reflect wide support for the General Assembly vote on September 12 to endorse a declaration outlining "tangible, timebound, and irreversible steps" towards a two-state solution. A total of 142 countries backed the resolution.

"Saudi Arabia is forging ahead with its partner France and all peace-loving countries to follow up on the outcomes of Monday’s conference to put a stop to the war on Gaza and all unilateral measures that threaten Palestinian sovereignty to resolve the conflict in the region and establish a Palestinian state along the 1967 border with East Jerusalem as its capital," declared Prince Faisal.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, forced to address the conference virtually because the US refused to grant him a visa, praised the countries that recognized the State of Palestine.

"We call on those who have not yet done so to follow suit," he urged.

"We call for your support so that Palestine becomes a full-fledged member of the United Nations," he added, promising reforms and elections within a year of a ceasefire.

He also said Hamas will not have a role in rule, stressing that it and other armed groups will have to lay down their weapons to the PA.

He condemned the Israeli crimes against the Palestinian people, as well as the Hamas attack on October 7, 2023, that sparked the war on Gaza. He called for an end to Israeli settlement expansion, annexation of the West Bank, terrorization by settlers and violations against Muslim and Christian sanctities.

Palestinian Foreign Minister Varsen Aghabekian told Asharq Al-Awsat that such a growing number of countries recognizing the State of Palestine would not have been possible without Saudi support. 

She praised the efforts led by Saudi Arabia and France, in full coordination with the Palestinian state, recalling when the conference was just an idea, leading up to the New York Declaration. 

Closing statement

A closing statement by the conference said it "led to the adoption of the New York Declaration endorsed by the General Assembly with an outstanding majority of 142 votes. This ambitious declaration reaffirms the unwavering international commitment to the two-state solution and charts an irreversible pathway to build a better future for Palestinians, Israelis and all peoples of the region."

"As we are gathered, the situation in Gaza continues to deteriorate with the intensification of the Israeli ground offensive in Gaza city, and with civilians and hostages paying an unjustifiable price due to the ongoing war. The New York Declaration aims at providing a principled, yet realistic alternative to the cycle of violence and endless wars," it added.

"It is now time for the international community to move from words to deeds. We call on all states to swiftly implement the New York declaration through tangible, concrete and irreversible measures."

"Ending the war in Gaza and ensuring the release of all hostages remains our absolute priority. We call for a permanent ceasefire, the release of all hostages, exchange of prisoners, and unhindered delivery of humanitarian assistance throughout Gaza and the full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza," it stressed.

"In order to secure the Day After for Palestinians and Israelis, we commit to supporting the deployment of a temporary international stabilization mission upon invitation by the Palestinian Authority, to be mandated by the UN Security Council, in line with the New York Declaration. Meanwhile, we commit to scaling up our support to train and equip Palestinian police and security forces, building on existing programs."

"We stress the importance of unifying the Gaza Strip with the West Bank under the Palestinian Authority. We welcome the ‘One State, One Government, One Law, One Gun’ policy of the Palestinian Authority and pledge our continued support to its implementation," said the statement.

"In the context of ending the war in Gaza, we reiterate that Hamas must end its rule in Gaza, disarm and hand over its weapons to the Palestinian Authority, with international engagement and support, in line with the objective of a sovereign Palestinian State."

"We urge the Israeli leadership to seize this opportunity for peace, and to issue a clear public commitment to the two-state solution, immediately end violence and incitement against Palestinians, halt all settlement, land grabs, and annexation activities in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and put an end to settlers’ violence," it demanded.

"As a first step, we urge Israel to rescind the E1 project, and publicly renounce any annexation project. We reiterate that any form of annexation is a redline for the international community that bears serious consequences and constitutes a direct risk to existing and future peace agreements."

"We reiterate our call to all States to join this dynamic to ensure peace and security for all in the Middle East, mutual recognition and full regional integration," it said.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.