Gaza Mother Clings to Her Sick Daughter after Losing Twin Babies in Midst of War

TOPSHOT - Tents sheltering people displaced by conflict are pitched in the yard of a school run by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on September 30, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Tents sheltering people displaced by conflict are pitched in the yard of a school run by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on September 30, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

Gaza Mother Clings to Her Sick Daughter after Losing Twin Babies in Midst of War

TOPSHOT - Tents sheltering people displaced by conflict are pitched in the yard of a school run by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on September 30, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Tents sheltering people displaced by conflict are pitched in the yard of a school run by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on September 30, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

Nancy Abu Matroud has already lost three children during Gaza's war.

Now, the Palestinian mother, 22, is fighting to save her daughter, Etra - a two-year-old cancer patient newly deprived of vital medical care: the children's hospital treating her shut down last month during Israel's latest offensive in Gaza City.

"We are just asking for a shelter," Abu Matroud said. "I don't want to lose the daughter I still have."

A deadly mix of disease, displacement, lack of medical care and malnutrition has beset most Gazan families during the almost two-year-old war, but the turmoil has placed a particular burden on young children and pregnant women such as Abu Matroud. She was six months pregnant with twins when, fleeing Israeli bombardment in Gaza City last month, she arrived in the central Gaza Strip after three days of walking, she said, along with her husband and Etra.

After the family reached Al Nuwairi area, her belly started to hurt and her waters broke, Abu Matroud recounted. She gave birth to her twins prematurely, said Reuters.

One of the twins died in Al-Awda Hospital in nearby Nuseirat. The second child was transferred to the infants' department in Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital. After two days, that child also died, said a spokesperson for Al-Aqsa hospital, Khalil al-Daqran.

NOT ENOUGH HOSPITAL EQUIPMENT

Premature babies are exceptionally vulnerable to the pressures of Gaza's war; in particular, there are not enough incubators and ventilators available to keep them alive, according to Jonathan Crickx, a spokesperson for UNICEF State of Palestine.

"There is an increase in the number of babies who are born premature," he told Reuters. "The incubators needed to keep the baby in a protective environment... the ventilators that help them to develop their lungs, all of this equipment is not available in sufficient quantities today in the Gaza Strip."

The children's father, Faraj al-Ghalayini, 53, sits in the dirt by the side of a street, heating a can of chickpeas for two-year-old Etra on a fire he made using twigs.

"What is our fault? We have nothing to do with this. What is the fault of our children?" he said.

"God gave me a daughter, she is two years old now, and I was waiting for these two coming twins."

Now the parents don't know what will happen to their curly-haired daughter, who sits on a blanket on the roadside in a grubby stripy t-shirt and plays with a rag doll.

"We don't know what to do, no one asks about us - no nation nor those from our own care about us," said al-Ghalayini.

With resources exhausted amidst nonstop Israeli shelling, hospitals in Gaza have been forced to shut down. Only 14 out of 35 hospitals in the enclave are functioning, and those only partially, Crickx said.

The Israeli military told Reuters it continues to take steps to enable the provision of medical care and the ongoing activity of medical institutions in the Gaza Strip, in coordination with international humanitarian organizations.

DISPLACEMENT AND FAMINE

Most of the enclave's around 2.2 million population have been displaced between the north and south several times during the war. Women moving from one place to another with no proper care are at a higher risk of undergoing premature birth, with malnutrition exacerbating the situation.

Famine was declared in Gaza City, the enclave's largest urban center, in August by global hunger monitor IPC, before Israel unleashed a long-threatened ground assault on the city, deepening the humanitarian crisis.

"UNICEF has treated in the month of August 13,000 (children) below the age of five for acute malnutrition, it is a very big number - among them, babies, premature babies," Crickx added.

Abu Matroud said her four-year-old son from a previous marriage went missing at the beginning of the war. Losing the twins was another unbearable tragedy.

"I named the boy and the girl," said Abu Matroud, who named her twins Mahmoud and Farida.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."