Cairo to Host Palestinian National Dialogue Soon – What We Know So Far

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi mediates between Hamas official Mousa Abu Marzook (right) and Fatah official Mahmoud Aloul during a reconciliation round in July 2024 (Reuters) 
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi mediates between Hamas official Mousa Abu Marzook (right) and Fatah official Mahmoud Aloul during a reconciliation round in July 2024 (Reuters) 
TT

Cairo to Host Palestinian National Dialogue Soon – What We Know So Far

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi mediates between Hamas official Mousa Abu Marzook (right) and Fatah official Mahmoud Aloul during a reconciliation round in July 2024 (Reuters) 
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi mediates between Hamas official Mousa Abu Marzook (right) and Fatah official Mahmoud Aloul during a reconciliation round in July 2024 (Reuters) 

Egypt’s capital is set to host a comprehensive Palestinian national dialogue in the coming days to discuss key issues tied to US President Donald Trump’s plan to end the war in Gaza and chart the enclave’s future, following Hamas’s reported willingness to give up its rule of the territory.

Palestinian sources from several factions, including Hamas, told Asharq Al-Awsat that “Egypt has sent invitations to most Palestinian factions to take part in the conference, which is expected to be held next week in Cairo.”

The final date has yet to be confirmed, the sources said, citing ongoing preparations for implementing the first phase of the ceasefire plan.

Who Will Attend?

According to the sources, the meeting was initiated at the request of Hamas’s negotiating delegation, which urged Cairo to bring together all factions - including Fatah and those under the umbrella of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) - to address the crucial questions surrounding the Palestinian cause.

They added that Hamas’s response to Trump’s plan emphasized the need to discuss such matters within a national Palestinian framework and under Arab and Islamic auspices.

Contentious Issues

The discussions are expected to focus on the structure, role, and members of a committee to be formed to administer Gaza, as well as the future of the enclave, the issue of Hamas’s armed wing, and the broader Palestinian situation in the aftermath of the war and its immediate aftermath, the sources said.

These contentious questions are among the thorniest provisions in Trump’s ceasefire proposal.

On September 30, Hamas sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the movement was seeking “consensus among Palestinian factions” before taking positions on the “problematic clauses” in Trump’s plan, particularly those concerning “disarmament.”

Clear Terms on Weapons

Hamas sources said the movement is holding discussions with mediators on “clear terms” regarding its weapons and the fate of its remaining leaders in Gaza. “There is openness from the mediators and even from the United States about how such provisions could be worded,” one source said.

They believe the outcome of the upcoming Palestinian national dialogue will have significant implications for the next phase of ceasefire negotiations over Gaza.

Future Roadmap

Husam Badran, head of Hamas’s National Relations Office, said in a statement that since Trump’s plan was announced, the movement has been in contact with various factions and national figures. It has held meetings, exchanged messages, and coordinated positions with faction leaders and independents to ensure a unified approach.

He stressed that Hamas is keen to hold an inclusive national dialogue in Cairo to review all aspects of the agreement and outline a joint roadmap for the next stages. “Any Palestinian decision must reflect national unity and include all factions, elites, and the Palestinian people,” Badran said in a press statement.

PLO Welcomes the Initiative

The PLO Executive Committee welcomed Egypt’s invitation for a comprehensive national dialogue among all Palestinian factions, describing it as an important step that should be implemented swiftly “to reinforce the unity of the Palestinian land and people within the occupied State of Palestine - the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip.”

The committee said the dialogue should also pave the way for implementing relevant international resolutions, foremost among them the two-state solution, according to its statement.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.