Hundreds of Thousands of Palestinians Return to Gaza City as Hamas Deploys Forces

A Palestinian woman holds her child beside piles of rubble while heading toward Gaza City on Friday. (AFP)
A Palestinian woman holds her child beside piles of rubble while heading toward Gaza City on Friday. (AFP)
TT

Hundreds of Thousands of Palestinians Return to Gaza City as Hamas Deploys Forces

A Palestinian woman holds her child beside piles of rubble while heading toward Gaza City on Friday. (AFP)
A Palestinian woman holds her child beside piles of rubble while heading toward Gaza City on Friday. (AFP)

As dawn broke Friday, thousands of residents from Gaza City and the northern Strip streamed toward the Nuwairi area and the coastal al-Rashid Street, hoping to return to their homes after nearly a month of displacement.

Israeli forces initially blocked their passage before withdrawing around noon, clearing the way for hundreds of thousands to pour northward on foot and in vehicles.

The Israeli army announced that the ceasefire had taken effect at 12 p.m. local time in both Palestine and Saudi Arabia, though the truce was meant to begin earlier after Israel’s government voted overnight to approve the agreement.

Joy and ruin

Videos posted by journalists, activists, and remaining residents showed scenes of jubilation as Gazans made their way back through shattered neighborhoods. Despite the devastation, many said they were overjoyed simply to return.

Safaa al-Hannawi, 41, from Shati refugee camp west of Gaza City, said she had been waiting since early morning in Nuwairi near the Netzarim axis, hoping to reach her home, uncertain whether it was completely destroyed or partially damaged as she had left it a month ago.

“I can’t describe how happy I am to be back in the spirit of my life,” she said, referring to Gaza City and her neighborhood. Al-Hannawi said she planned to bring her tent from Mawasi Khan Younis and live in it if her home was gone. “But I won’t leave the area again,” she added.

Elsewhere, Yassine al-Barawi, a resident of Al-Nasr district in Gaza City, loaded his belongings into his car and immediately headed north as soon as Israeli forces announced civilians could return. His house was still standing, though damaged.

“I’d rather live in what’s left of my home than in a tent on barren farmland with nothing to sustain life,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat. “When they said we could go back, I rushed to leave. I couldn’t believe it would actually happen, not after our first displacement that lasted more than a year and a half.”

Hours earlier, the roughly 130,000 people who remained in Gaza City had ventured out to survey what was left of their homes and neighborhoods, many reduced to rubble by Israeli operations in recent weeks.

Widespread destruction

Nour Yaghi, 37, from the Sheikh Radwan neighborhood in northern Gaza City, said he reached his area early Friday after sheltering near Gaza’s port in recent weeks only to find it obliterated.

“The devastation is beyond description,” Yaghi said. “Our house and the neighboring ones are just piles of rubble. Seventy percent of Sheikh Radwan is gone, destroyed by booby-trapped military vehicles and airstrikes.”

Mousa al-Najjar from al-Shati camp said entire housing blocks had been flattened. “It will take months just to clear the main roads,” he said. “Anyone returning from the south won’t even recognize where their house once stood.”

According to Gaza’s municipality, more than 85 percent of the city has been destroyed. Medical sources said over 73 bodies were recovered from streets and homes in Gaza City after Israeli troops withdrew, while at least 20 more were found in Khan Younis.

Hamas forces reemerge

Hamas security forces were seen redeploying in parts of central and southern Gaza, as well as on the outskirts of Gaza City. The Interior Ministry in Gaza said its security services would begin restoring order in areas vacated by the Israeli army and “address the chaos the occupation sought to spread over the past two years.”

The Israeli military, meanwhile, warned residents to avoid several “highly dangerous” areas, including Beit Hanoun, Beit Lahia, Shujaiyya, and parts of Khan Younis near the Philadelphi corridor and Rafah crossing.

Military spokesperson Brig. Gen. Effi Defrin said Hamas “is no longer what it was when the war began two years ago. It has been defeated everywhere we fought it.” He urged civilians to stay away from Israeli-controlled zones to ensure their safety.

Gaza’s toll

In a statement marking the ceasefire, the Hamas-run Government Media Office accused Israel of committing “a full-scale genocide” in Gaza, using food, water, and medicine as weapons of war. It said Israel had destroyed 90 percent of the enclave’s civilian infrastructure and seized more than 80 percent of its territory through invasion and forced displacement.

The office estimated that Israel dropped more than 200,000 tons of explosives on Gaza and bombed the Mawasi area over 150 times despite designating it a “safe humanitarian zone.”

According to its figures, some 77,000 Palestinians were killed or remain missing, including more than 20,000 children and 12,500 women. About 67,000 bodies have been recovered, while 9,500 people remain unaccounted for. Over 1,000 infants under one year old were among the dead, including 450 newborns killed during the war, it said.

The report said more than 39,000 families were wiped out in airstrikes, and that women, children, and the elderly made up over half of all victims.

At least 1,670 medical workers, 140 civil defense members, 254 journalists, and more than 1,000 police and emergency responders were killed. Injuries totaled around 170,000, including thousands with amputations, paralysis, or blindness. Over 6,700 detainees, including medical and media staff, remain in Israeli custody under harsh conditions.

Gaza’s health system has “completely collapsed,” the office said, with 38 hospitals destroyed, hundreds of attacks on health facilities, and more than 788 assaults on medical services. Israel also destroyed 670 schools, 165 universities and educational institutions, killing 13,500 students, 830 teachers, and nearly 200 academics.

The statement added that 835 mosques were completely destroyed, several churches were damaged, and 40 cemeteries were razed. Israeli forces allegedly exhumed more than 2,450 bodies and established seven mass graves inside hospitals.

Nearly 300,000 housing units were demolished and 200,000 others heavily damaged, displacing about two million people. Many remain in tattered tents under dire humanitarian conditions.

The office accused Israel of using starvation as a weapon, keeping Gaza’s crossings closed for over 600 days and blocking thousands of aid trucks, resulting in more than 460 deaths from hunger and malnutrition. It estimated Gaza’s direct economic losses at over $70 billion after two years of war.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.