Salam to Asharq Al-Awsat: Parliamentary Elections Will Be Held on Time

Lebanon's Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (PM office)
Lebanon's Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (PM office)
TT

Salam to Asharq Al-Awsat: Parliamentary Elections Will Be Held on Time

Lebanon's Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (PM office)
Lebanon's Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (PM office)

Two main issues are dominating Lebanon’s political landscape: ensuring the 2026 parliamentary elections take place on schedule, and defining the country’s stance in the post-Gaza war regional order.

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam affirmed that the government is committed to holding elections on time, telling Asharq Al-Awsat that his cabinet “respects constitutional deadlines to complete the formation of state institutions. There is no room for postponing the parliamentary elections, and we have no intention of proposing a draft law extending parliament’s term.”

“What has been decided on this matter is final. The Interior Ministry is moving forward with the logistical and administrative preparations, and I do not believe there is any obstacle to holding the elections on time,” he clarified.

Salam’s comments came in response to a question about an urgent bill submitted by Foreign Minister Youssef Rajji to the cabinet secretariat, requesting that it be added to the agenda of the government’s next session.

The bill seeks to abolish Articles 112 and 122 of the electoral law, which govern expatriate voting, allowing Lebanese abroad to elect all 128 members of parliament from their home districts while voting from their countries of residence. Salam said he had not yet reviewed the proposal, dismissing reports that Rajji had coordinated with him before submitting it.

The prime minister made his remarks during a tour of the southern city of Sidon, which began at the “Turkish Hospital” and concluded at the port, according to the Prime Minister’s Office.

The second major issue concerns Lebanon’s position following the end of the war in Gaza, which ushered in a new political phase in the region. It also prompted President Gen. Joseph Aoun to propose indirect negotiations with Israel similar to the US- and UN-mediated talks that led to the 2022 maritime border agreement between the two countries.

The two issues are expected to feature prominently in a meeting scheduled for Friday between Aoun and Salam. According to political sources, Aoun’s call for renewed indirect talks aims to keep Lebanon engaged in regional settlements and on the radar of international diplomacy.

The sources noted that meetings of the international monitoring committee overseeing the implementation of the ceasefire agreement between Lebanon and Israel have so far produced no progress, turning instead into a forum that merely counts Israeli violations, while Lebanon has abided by the terms since day one.

According to ministerial sources, Aoun’s proposal has broad Lebanese backing and faces no opposition from the Shiite duo - Hezbollah and the Amal Movement - which had earlier provided political cover for the maritime border negotiations.

The sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri had personally negotiated with US envoy Amos Hochstein at the time, helping establish the framework that guided Lebanon’s negotiating team to the maritime deal.

The sources added that Hezbollah did not object to the previous indirect talks with Israel, noting that “the difference between those maritime negotiations and the current proposal is that the US- and French-sponsored ceasefire agreement remains in effect, eliminating the need for a new one. The existing armistice agreement between the two countries provides a general framework for any new indirect talks under American auspices.”

They said Aoun’s call is timely and intended to keep Lebanon on the international agenda after the Gaza war, “preventing a decline in global attention toward resolving Lebanon’s own conflict. It also puts the United States to the test in compelling Israel to withdraw from the south in accordance with Resolution 1701.”

Meanwhile, the debate continues over which electoral law will govern the 2026 vote. According to ministerial sources, Rajji’s request to include his bill in the cabinet’s next session reflects pressure from the Lebanese Forces, represented by Rajji himself, to show expatriates that the party is pushing to repeal Article 112, which would allow them to vote for all 128 MPs rather than six dedicated diaspora seats.

The sources said the Lebanese Forces are seeking to “clear their name before expatriates if the cabinet refuses to adopt the proposal, thereby shifting responsibility to the government.” They expect a compromise that freezes contentious articles of the law to avoid a split in the cabinet that could spill over into parliament, or vice versa.

Such a compromise, they added, would effectively shelve the plan to allocate six parliamentary seats for expatriate representation, while also denying them the right to vote for all 128 MPs from abroad, meaning those wishing to participate must return to Lebanon to cast their ballots.

The sources urged a swift resolution “to provide clarity for expatriates, many of whom are delaying registration to vote for the six seats, while most prefer to vote for the full parliament.”

Until such a settlement is reached, sources close to the Shiite duo remain confident the elections will proceed as planned. They voiced satisfaction with the improved relations between Salam and Berri, noting that tensions between the two have eased significantly, while Berri’s ties with Aoun are described as “more than excellent.”

Parliament is scheduled to convene next Tuesday for a session dedicated to electing members of the bureau and parliamentary committees. The sources expressed optimism over Aoun’s stance and Salam’s understanding of the Shiite bloc’s position, saying both sides aim to “spare the government and parliament avoidable divisions” and are counting on independent MPs to adopt a similar approach.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.