Ankara Accelerates Military Support to Damascus Amid Fears of ‘Kurdish Secession’

Turkish Defense Minister Yasar Guler and Syrian Defense Minister Murhaf Abu Qasra during the signing of the military cooperation memorandum in Ankara on August 13. (Turkish Ministry of Defense)
Turkish Defense Minister Yasar Guler and Syrian Defense Minister Murhaf Abu Qasra during the signing of the military cooperation memorandum in Ankara on August 13. (Turkish Ministry of Defense)
TT

Ankara Accelerates Military Support to Damascus Amid Fears of ‘Kurdish Secession’

Turkish Defense Minister Yasar Guler and Syrian Defense Minister Murhaf Abu Qasra during the signing of the military cooperation memorandum in Ankara on August 13. (Turkish Ministry of Defense)
Turkish Defense Minister Yasar Guler and Syrian Defense Minister Murhaf Abu Qasra during the signing of the military cooperation memorandum in Ankara on August 13. (Turkish Ministry of Defense)

Türkiye is moving rapidly to bolster its military cooperation with Damascus as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan seeks parliamentary authorization to extend the deployment of Turkish troops in Syria for another three years.

Erdogan argued that the new Syrian administration needs support to confront “terrorist and separatist” organizations – a reference to Kurdish forces.

The acceleration follows the signing of a military cooperation memorandum between the defense ministers of Türkiye and Syria in Ankara on August 13.

On Friday, the Turkish Ministry of Defense announced on X that Lieutenant General Ilkay Altindag, the ministry’s director general of defense and security, led a delegation to Damascus for talks with Syrian Defense Minister Murhaf Abu Qasra on defense and security matters.

The Syrian Defense Ministry confirmed the discussions addressed issues of mutual concern.

The visit came just days after a high-level meeting in Ankara on October 12 that brought together the foreign and defense ministers and intelligence chiefs of both countries.

The talks, co-chaired by Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani, with the participation of Defense Ministers Yasar Guler and Murhaf Abu Qasra, and intelligence chiefs Ibrahim Kalin and Hussein Al-Salama, focused on integrating the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) into Syrian state institutions, in line with an agreement signed in Damascus on March 10.

Discussions also covered Syrian government efforts to combat ISIS, emptying prisons and camps under SDF control, coordination with neighboring countries, and the impact of Israeli violations in southern Syria on stability efforts. The meeting reviewed progress in implementing the August defense cooperation memorandum.

Abu Qasra described the talks as “an important new step” toward deeper military coordination between the two countries.

This was the second meeting of its kind since January, amid a series of reciprocal visits between military officials from both sides. Since the signing of the August memorandum, Syrian defense delegations have visited Türkiye twice for training and cooperation talks.

Ankara has repeatedly declared its support for President Ahmed Al-Sharaa’s government, particularly in countering terrorist groups ranging from ISIS to the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), the backbone of the SDF.

Erdogan warned this week that if the SDF does not implement the integration agreement with Damascus, it would face consequences.

He urged the group to merge with state institutions “as soon as possible,” calling it a crucial step for Syria’s stability and development.

The warning followed SDF commander Mazloum Abdi’s announcement last week that a “preliminary understanding” had been reached with Damascus to integrate his forces into the Ministries of Defense and Interior.

He said the deal, mediated by the United States and France, aims to secure Kurdish rights within a decentralized system.

A Turkish senior military official said Ankara continues to enhance coordination with Damascus to strengthen Syria’s security capabilities and monitor the integration process closely. Türkiye has also pledged to provide military and logistical equipment to help rebuild Syrian defense capacity under the principle of “one state, one army.”

According to Bloomberg, Türkiye plans to supply Damascus with armored vehicles, drones, artillery, rockets, and air defense systems in the coming weeks to help confront Kurdish forces and secure the border.

The equipment will be deployed in northern Syria to avoid escalating tensions with Israel in the southwest.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.