Israeli Military Drill on the Border: 'The War with Lebanon Is Not Over'

Israeli soldiers in southern Lebanon during military operations against Hezbollah (Israeli Army). 
Israeli soldiers in southern Lebanon during military operations against Hezbollah (Israeli Army). 
TT

Israeli Military Drill on the Border: 'The War with Lebanon Is Not Over'

Israeli soldiers in southern Lebanon during military operations against Hezbollah (Israeli Army). 
Israeli soldiers in southern Lebanon during military operations against Hezbollah (Israeli Army). 

Israel’s army announced on Sunday the launch of a five-day military drill along the Lebanese border to prepare for “different scenarios,” in what officials described as a clear message that the war with Lebanon is not over and the risk of renewed escalation remains.

The drill comes as Israeli strikes on Lebanese territory continue and Hezbollah reiterates its refusal to disarm. The group claims it has rebuilt its military capabilities and accuses Tel Aviv of seeking to drag Lebanon into negotiations and eventual normalization.

Army spokesperson Avichay Adraee said in a statement on X that the exercise, which began Sunday evening and runs until Thursday, is taking place “along the border with Lebanon, in towns, coastal areas, and the home front.”

He explained that the military would train for multi-branch cooperation to address a variety of scenarios, including defending the area and responding to immediate field threats. He also warned that explosions would be heard and that the exercise would include enemy simulation, drones, aerial and naval units, and intensive movement of security forces. The drill, he stressed, had been planned in advance as part of the army’s 2025 training schedule.

Meanwhile, Israeli forces carried out further incursions in southern Lebanon. According to the National News Agency, “a unit of the Israeli army advanced overnight toward the Birkat al-Mahafer area in the town of Aitaroun, placing four concrete blocks with a sign reading: ‘No entry, danger of death,’ in an effort to push farmers away from their land.”

“The War Has Not Ended”

Riad Kahwaji, Director of the Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis, said the drill was “a clear Israeli message that the war with Lebanon has not ended and the possibility of escalation remains.”

In an interview, he explained that continued Israeli strikes, combined with this new exercise, are part of “a pressure strategy meant to remind everyone that what happened was a truce, not the end of the war. The Lebanese front remains open, partly to serve Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s political goals, and partly to keep pressure on the Lebanese government and Hezbollah over the weapons issue.”

Kahwaji noted that developments in Gaza would play a decisive role in determining how the situation unfolds. “We need to see how the ceasefire in Gaza will be implemented and stabilized. That will affect expectations of escalations on other fronts, including Lebanon. We could see intensified strikes without reaching the level of full-scale war,” he said.

He added that Lebanon’s leadership currently faces “a state of confusion over how to address the weapons of Hezbollah,” which, he argued, “plays into Israel’s hands and gives it justification to continue its military operations.” As long as Hezbollah retains its arsenal, he said, the border will remain tense and the threat of war will persist.

Hezbollah: “We Will Not Submit”

Hezbollah officials continue to reject any disarmament, framing Israel’s ongoing attacks as an attempt to “subjugate” the group. They insist their military strength has been restored.

Hussein Jishi, a Hezbollah MP, said during a ceremony in southern Lebanon that “the continued daily Israeli attacks confirm the enemy’s determination to continue its war on Lebanon, disregarding the ceasefire agreement.” He accused Israel of expanding its operations to include civilian targets such as construction equipment, a concrete mixing plant, a fuel storage tank belonging to the South Lebanon Water Authority, and even civilians on the roads.

For his part, Hezbollah MP Hassan Fadlallah criticized those who blame the party for the destruction, saying reconstruction is the responsibility of the state. “After November 27, there was no support war, yet the enemy continued to destroy civilian infrastructure. Why? Because it wants the south emptied of its people,” he declared.

Fadlallah stressed that the current government budget does not allocate funds for reconstruction but that Hezbollah and its ally Amal have made it a priority, particularly compensating families whose homes were destroyed to allow them to rebuild.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.