Trump Praises Qatar, Asks Hamas to Return Bodies of Deceased Hostages in Gaza

Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al-Thani react while US President Donald Trump gestures as he speaks during a meeting onboard Air Force One during its refueling stop at Al Udeid Air Base near Doha, Qatar, October 25, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein
Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al-Thani react while US President Donald Trump gestures as he speaks during a meeting onboard Air Force One during its refueling stop at Al Udeid Air Base near Doha, Qatar, October 25, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein
TT

Trump Praises Qatar, Asks Hamas to Return Bodies of Deceased Hostages in Gaza

Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al-Thani react while US President Donald Trump gestures as he speaks during a meeting onboard Air Force One during its refueling stop at Al Udeid Air Base near Doha, Qatar, October 25, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein
Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al-Thani react while US President Donald Trump gestures as he speaks during a meeting onboard Air Force One during its refueling stop at Al Udeid Air Base near Doha, Qatar, October 25, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein

US President Donald Trump on Saturday thanked Qatar's emir and prime minister for being a "big factor" in helping secure a Gaza ceasefire deal, during a refueling stop on his way to Asia.

Trump said he is closely monitoring Hamas’s actions in Gaza, urging the group to expedite the return of the bodies of deceased hostages withheld in the enclave. He added on his Truth Social platform: “Let’s see what they do over the next 48 hours.”

Trump went on to say that other nations involved in the peace process would take action if Hamas failed to return the bodies of the captives. He noted that while some of the bodies are difficult to retrieve, others “can be returned now.”

Earlier, Trump described Qatar as a “great ally” of the United States, according to the Qatar News Agency. He expressed gratitude to the State of Qatar saying “We have a very strong peace in the Middle East, and I believe it has a good chance of being everlasting”.

This came after Trump met with Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani during a stopover in Doha on his way to Asia.

The Qatari leaders boarded Air Force One when it landed at Al Udeid Air Base, which hosts the regional headquarters for the US military and thousands of American troops.

Trump said the duo had played a crucial role in the Middle East peace process, adding that Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani had been his "friend to the world."

Trump is traveling to Asia for the first time since retaking office in January, with two regional summits and face-to-face meetings with China's Xi Jinping and other leaders on the agenda.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, fresh off a trip to Israel as part of an all-out diplomatic push by Washington to keep the Gaza truce on track, was present for the meeting with Qatar's leaders.

For his part, Rubio said US officials are receiving proposals for a possible United Nations resolution or international agreement to authorize a multinational force in the Gaza Strip, noting that the issue will be discussed in Qatar on Sunday.

Speaking to reporters while traveling by air between Israel and Qatar, Rubio said that many countries have expressed interest in participating at some level - whether financially, with personnel, or both. This would require a UN resolution or an international agreement, as their domestic laws mandate it.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.