US Intel Found Israeli Military Lawyers Warned There Was Evidence of Gaza War Crimes, Former US Officials Say

 Palestinians stand on the rubble of destroyed buildings, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, in Jabalia, northern Gaza Strip, November 6, 2025. (Reuters)
Palestinians stand on the rubble of destroyed buildings, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, in Jabalia, northern Gaza Strip, November 6, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

US Intel Found Israeli Military Lawyers Warned There Was Evidence of Gaza War Crimes, Former US Officials Say

 Palestinians stand on the rubble of destroyed buildings, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, in Jabalia, northern Gaza Strip, November 6, 2025. (Reuters)
Palestinians stand on the rubble of destroyed buildings, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, in Jabalia, northern Gaza Strip, November 6, 2025. (Reuters)

The US gathered intelligence last year that Israel’s military lawyers warned there was evidence that could support war crimes charges against Israel for its military campaign in Gaza – operations reliant on American-supplied weapons, five former US officials said, according to Reuters.

The previously unreported intelligence, described by the former officials as among the most startling shared with top US policymakers during the war, pointed to doubts within the Israeli military about the legality of its tactics that contrasted sharply with Israel’s public stance defending its actions.

Two of the former US officials said the material was not broadly circulated within the US government until late in the Biden administration, when it was disseminated more widely ahead of a congressional briefing in December 2024.

The intelligence deepened concerns in Washington over Israel’s conduct in a war it said was necessary to eliminate Palestinian Hamas fighters embedded in civilian infrastructure — the same group whose October 7, 2023, attack on Israel sparked the conflict. There were concerns Israel was intentionally targeting civilians and humanitarian workers, a potential war crime which Israel has strongly denied.

US officials expressed alarm at the findings, particularly as the mounting civilian death toll in Gaza raised concerns that Israel’s operations might breach international legal standards on acceptable collateral damage.

The former US officials Reuters spoke to did not provide details on what evidence -- such as specific wartime incidents -- had caused concerns among Israel's military lawyers.

Israel has killed more than 68,000 Palestinians during a two-year military campaign, say Gaza health officials. Israel's military has said at least 20,000 of the fatalities were combatants.

Reuters spoke to nine former US officials in then-President Joe Biden's administration, including six who had direct knowledge of the intelligence and the subsequent debate within the US government. All spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Reports of internal US government dissent over Israel’s Gaza campaign emerged during Biden's presidency. This account — based on detailed recollections from those involved — offers a fuller picture of the debate's intensity in the administration’s final weeks, which ended with President Donald Trump's inauguration in January.

Israeli Ambassador to the US, Yechiel Leiter, declined to comment when asked for a response about the US intelligence and the internal Biden administration debate about it. Neither the Israeli prime minister's office nor the Israeli military spokesperson immediately responded to requests for comment.

DEBATE INTENSIFIED IN FINAL DAYS OF BIDEN TERM

The intelligence prompted an interagency meeting at the National Security Council where officials and lawyers debated how and whether to respond to the new findings.

A US finding that Israel was committing war crimes would have required, under US law, blocking future arms shipments and ending intelligence sharing with Israel. Israel’s intelligence services have worked closely with the US for decades and provide critical information, in particular, about events occurring in the Middle East.

Biden administration conversations in December included officials from across the government, including the State Department, the Pentagon, the intelligence community and the White House. Biden was also briefed on the matter by his national security advisers.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment. "We do not comment on intelligence matters," a State Department spokesperson said in response to emailed questions about Reuters reporting.

The American debate about whether the Israelis had committed war crimes in Gaza ended when lawyers from across the US government determined that it was still legal for the US to continue supporting Israel with weapons and intelligence because the US had not gathered its own evidence that Israel was violating the law of armed conflict, according to three former US officials.

They reasoned that the intelligence and evidence gathered by the US itself did not prove the Israelis had intentionally killed civilians and humanitarians or blocked aid, a key factor in legal liability.

Some senior Biden administration officials feared that a formal US finding of Israeli war crimes would force Washington to cut off arms and intelligence support — a move they worried could embolden Hamas, delay ceasefire negotiations, and shift the political narrative in favor of the group. Hamas killed 1,200 people and abducted 251 in its October 7, 2023, attack, prompting Israel’s military response.

The decision to stay the course exasperated some of those involved who believed that the Biden administration should have been more forceful in calling out Israel’s alleged abuses and the US role in enabling them, said former US officials.

President Trump and his officials were briefed by Biden’s team on the intelligence but showed little interest in the subject after they took over in January and began siding more powerfully with the Israelis, said the former US officials.

STATE DEPARTMENT LAWYERS REPEATEDLY RAISED CONCERNS

Even before the US gathered war crimes intelligence from within the Israeli military, lawyers at the State Department, which oversees legal assessments of foreign military conduct, repeatedly raised concerns with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken that Israel might be committing war crimes, according to five former US officials.

As early as December 2023, lawyers from the State Department's legal bureau told Blinken in meetings that they believed that Israel's military conduct in Gaza likely amounted to violations of international humanitarian law and potentially war crimes, two of the US officials said.

That sentiment was largely reflected in a US government report produced during the Biden administration in May 2024, when Washington said Israel might have violated international humanitarian law using US-supplied weapons during its military operation in Gaza.

The report stopped short of a definitive assessment, citing the fog of war.

“What I can say is that the Biden administration constantly reviewed Israel's adherence to the laws of armed conflict, as well as the requirements of our own laws,” Blinken said through a spokesperson for this story.

INTERNATIONAL CONCERNS ABOUT POSSIBLE WAR CRIMES

Last November the International Criminal Court in The Hague issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his former defense chief, as well as Hamas leader Mohammed Deif, for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity in the Gaza conflict. Hamas has since confirmed Israel killed Deif.

Israel has rejected the jurisdiction of The Hague-based court and denies war crimes in Gaza. Hamas leaders have dismissed allegations that they committed war crimes.

Among the issues debated by US officials in the final weeks of the Biden administration was whether the government would be complicit if Israeli officials were to face charges in an international tribunal, said people familiar with this debate.

US officials publicly defended Israel but also privately debated the issue in light of intelligence reports, and they became a point of political vulnerability for Democrats. Biden and later Vice President Kamala Harris waged ultimately unsuccessful presidential campaigns.

Biden did not respond to a request for comment.

Israel, which is fighting a genocide case at the International Court of Justice, rejects genocide allegations as politically motivated and says that its military campaign targets Hamas, not Gaza’s civilian population.

The Israeli military says it seeks to minimize civilian harm while targeting fighters embedded in hospitals, schools and shelters, using warnings and appropriate munitions. An Israeli military official told Reuters in September that the military was investigating about 2,000 incidents of possible misconduct, including civilian deaths and damage to infrastructure.

Some cases came to light through the genocide case filed at the International Court of Justice, the official said.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.