Will Hannibal Gaddafi Join his Family Abroad?

Hannibal Gaddafi (2011 File Photo)
Hannibal Gaddafi (2011 File Photo)
TT

Will Hannibal Gaddafi Join his Family Abroad?

Hannibal Gaddafi (2011 File Photo)
Hannibal Gaddafi (2011 File Photo)

Libyans across the political spectrum reacted widely on Friday to Lebanon’s decision to release Hannibal, the son of the late president Muammar Gaddafi, as questions mounted over where he will go in the coming days and whether he plans to return to Libya or join his siblings Al-Saadi, Mohamed and Ayesha, and his mother, Safia Farkash.

A wave of celebration swept parts of the country, especially among Gaddafi loyalists, after authorities announced the release.

The media and rights committee advocating for him said news of the “initiation of procedures for his release, after years of unlawful detention, represents a victory of justice over political blackmail.”

Responding to questions about Hannibal’s destination, a senior figure in the former regime said that “so far, the country that Captain Hannibal will travel to has not been determined”

He added: “Of course, we welcome him among his family and brothers, but he will not come to Libya for security reasons related to securing him.”

The former official told Asharq Al-Awsat he expects Hannibal to “join any of his family members who are currently between Türkiye, Egypt and the Sultanate of Oman, or perhaps go to a European country.”

Hannibal’s French lawyer, Laurent Bayon, told local media late on Thursday that his client “is still in prison but will leave Lebanon soon for a country that cannot be disclosed,” adding that Hannibal “does not want to return to Libya at the moment.”

Mohamed al-Asmar, head of the Libyan Umma Center for Studies, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “It is still not known where Mr. Hannibal will go, but I do not think he will come to Libya at this stage.”

The committee defending Hannibal expressed its gratitude on Thursday evening to the “honorable Libyan tribes that stood with firmness and dignity, and to the social delegations and popular leaders who followed the case with sincerity.”

It also praised “all official Libyan governmental and judicial bodies in Tripoli, and the head and members of the legal team, for the cooperation and follow-up that helped conclude this humanitarian and national case.”

The committee voiced its “deep appreciation to all local and international rights organizations that called for freedom and justice,” and thanked the Lebanese judiciary for its “positive response at the end of the process,” saying “the scales of justice finally prevailed over political blackmail, in a step recorded in favor of legal and humanitarian values.”

Al-Saadi al-Gaddafi expressed his happiness over the news of his brother’s release, writing on an account attributed to him on the X platform: “To my beloved millions, I bring you the news of Hannibal’s release.”

He also thanked the Lebanese government, as well as Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah, head of Libya’s interim Government of National Unity, and several of its officials.

Al-Saadi, who has been living in Türkiye since leaving Libya, had been acquitted by the Criminal Chamber of the Tripoli Court of Appeals in April 2018 of charges of killing and torturing a football player in 2005.

Despite the acquittal, he remained in prison until his release on September 6, 2021, after which he left for Türkiye amid conflicting reports about his current place of residence. The widow of Gaddafi resides in Cairo, while Oman hosts his daughter Ayesha and his son Mohamed.

Safia Farkash, Gaddafi’s second wife, left Libya after the outbreak of the February 2011 uprising, accompanied by Hannibal, Ayesha and Mohamed, her husband’s son from his first wife.

Several of her other sons - Aziz al-Arab, Mutassim and Khamis - were killed that same year.

Walid al-Lafi, state minister for communication in the interim Government of National Unity, said Hannibal’s release was “a victory for the February 17 Revolution,” a remark that triggered a wave of criticism.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.