France Sends Message of Support to Lebanon on Stability, Army

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun receives French presidential adviser Anne-Claire Legendre (Lebanese Presidency)
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun receives French presidential adviser Anne-Claire Legendre (Lebanese Presidency)
TT

France Sends Message of Support to Lebanon on Stability, Army

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun receives French presidential adviser Anne-Claire Legendre (Lebanese Presidency)
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun receives French presidential adviser Anne-Claire Legendre (Lebanese Presidency)

Adviser to the French president on Middle East and North Africa Anne-Claire Legendre carried a message of support from President Emmanuel Macron to Beirut on Thursday, reaffirming France’s backing for stability in southern Lebanon and for activating the Quintet Committee tasked with implementing the ceasefire “mechanism.”

She also relayed France’s efforts to push for de-escalation by Israel and to prepare two upcoming conferences, one to support the Lebanese army and another for reconstruction.

During her meetings with Lebanese officials, Legendre met with Lebanese President Joseph Aoun, who told her that the main obstacle preventing full army deployment south of the Litani River to the international border remains Israel’s continued occupation of Lebanese land and its daily hostilities, as well as the lack of implementation of the agreement announced in November 2024.

Despite the attacks, Aoun said, “the army continues to implement the security plan south of the Litani with precision by seizing weapons and ammunition, uncovering tunnels and depots, and extending state authority in accordance with Resolution 1701.”

He stressed that “Israel’s claims about army shortcomings are baseless,” noting that around 12 soldiers had been killed in recent missions.

Aoun said the army “enjoys the trust of the Lebanese and represents the first line of defense for southern residents,” but added that moral support was not enough. “The army needs equipment and military vehicles, which the Paris-led conference to support the armed forces, held in coordination with Washington and Riyadh, is expected to secure,” he said.

Reconstruction Needs

The president underlined the urgent need for reconstruction in the south, saying that “the return of residents to their villages cannot happen while Israeli attacks continue.”

He pointed to the recent shelling of the border town of Blida, which hit civilian and government facilities.

Aoun expressed surprise that some countries had adopted Israel’s narrative accusing Lebanon of failing to honor the November 2024 agreement, saying they “ignore Israel’s ongoing violations and its determination to undermine the will of the international community, particularly that of the ceasefire’s sponsors, France and the United States.”

He also highlighted the “growing trust between the army and the residents of southern villages,” especially as the UN peacekeeping force UNIFIL is set to begin withdrawing in early 2026, when the Lebanese army will assume full security responsibility after its ranks grow to around 10,000 troops by the end of this year.

He noted “geographical challenges faced by army units in an area full of valleys and forests, which require additional support.” “Negotiation Is the Key to Stability”

Responding to Legendre’s questions, Aoun said the negotiation option he announced weeks ago “could restore stability to southern Lebanon and the country as a whole, since continued aggression will lead nowhere.”

He added that “similar experiences in other countries have shown that negotiation is always the sustainable solution to futile wars.”

He emphasized that “foreign support from Lebanon’s brothers and friends, especially France and the United States, could yield positive results,” adding that the “mechanism committee” could serve as one of the frameworks to sponsor such talks.

Meeting with Berri

From Baabda, Legendre headed to Ain el-Tineh, where she met Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri.

The two discussed developments in the south, the escalating border tensions, and internal political issues, as well as Lebanese-French relations and ways to strengthen them at this stage, according to a parliament statement.

Visit to the Grand Serail

In the third leg of her visit, Legendre met Prime Minister Nawaf Salam at the Grand Serail.

She reaffirmed France’s “sincere support for the government’s efforts to implement reforms and advance negotiations with the International Monetary Fund,” describing an IMF deal as “a key step toward restoring financial and economic stability.”

Salam, pictured with the French delegation headed by Legendre, said reform was “a national choice before being an international commitment.”

He stressed that the government was “working seriously to finalize the required measures, foremost among them the financial gap draft law, which is nearing completion and will soon be referred to parliament, along with strengthened financial controls.”

The meeting also touched on the situation in the south, with Salam stressing the need “to end this escalation that threatens regional stability and hinders national recovery efforts.”

Legendre reiterated that France “stands by Lebanon and is working with international partners to help consolidate stability in the south.”



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.