Gaza War Becomes Cash Surge for US Weapons Makers

An Israeli F-16 carrying air-to-air missiles and extra fuel tanks takes off from an air base (Israel Defense Forces)
An Israeli F-16 carrying air-to-air missiles and extra fuel tanks takes off from an air base (Israel Defense Forces)
TT

Gaza War Becomes Cash Surge for US Weapons Makers

An Israeli F-16 carrying air-to-air missiles and extra fuel tanks takes off from an air base (Israel Defense Forces)
An Israeli F-16 carrying air-to-air missiles and extra fuel tanks takes off from an air base (Israel Defense Forces)

Israel’s war in Gaza, which erupted in October 2023, has become one of the most profitable conflicts for major US defense contractors.

As Gaza was being devastated and hundreds of thousands of civilians faced death and starvation, weapons factories across several US states were running at full capacity to meet Israel’s expanding military demands, generating more than 32 billion dollars in sales in just two years, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis based on US State Department data.

After the Hamas attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023, and the large-scale Israeli military campaign that followed, Washington moved quickly to open an unprecedented weapons pipeline that included precision-guided munitions, long-range missiles, fighter jets and field equipment.

While Israel typically receives around 3.3 billion dollars in annual military assistance, that figure doubled in 2024 to 6.8 billion dollars in direct funding, not including non-cash support such as logistics, training and intelligence coordination.

A US State Department spokesperson said the Trump administration remains committed to Israel’s right to defend itself, adding that Washington is currently leading a regional effort to end the war through lasting security arrangements.

But despite talk of a “possible end” to the conflict, Pentagon data show that weapons production lines in US factories have not slowed and that supply contracts run through 2029, meaning arms deliveries to Israel will continue even after the fighting stops.

Who is benefiting most?

Boeing sits at the top of the list of beneficiaries after securing a 18.8 billion dollar deal to sell upgraded F-15 fighter jets to Israel, with delivery expected in four years.

The company also won an additional 7.9 billion dollars in contracts to supply Tel Aviv with guided bombs and associated weapons systems. These deals alone represent a major leap compared with Israel’s previous commitments to Boeing, which totaled less than 10 billion dollars over an entire decade.

Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics secured specialized contracts for fighter jet spare parts, precision missiles and 120-millimeter tank rounds used in Merkava tanks.

Caterpillar benefited from soaring demand for its armored D9 bulldozers, widely deployed by the Israeli military to destroy homes and infrastructure in the enclave.

According to the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency, most of the deals are concentrated in aerial munitions and attack aircraft, while ground systems such as tanks and armored vehicles represent a far smaller share of total sales.

War as an economic opportunity

The conflict has not only been a military campaign, it also served as an economic boost for the US defense sector, which in recent years struggled with supply chain disruptions and labor strikes.

Boeing said in its 2024 annual report that its defense division saw strong demand from governments prioritizing security and defense technology amid rising threats.

Lockheed Martin reported a 13 percent increase in missile division revenues, reaching 12.7 billion dollars in a single year.

Oshkosh, which produces tactical military vehicles, said Israel’s orders saved a production line that was close to shutting down last year. Italy’s Leonardo Group, whose US unit sells military trailers to Israel, said in its latest financial report that the continuation of the conflicts in Ukraine and Israel ensures stable international sales for 2025.

The cost of war and who pays the price

Although the billions flowing through arms deals reflect a boom for the US defense industry, the humanitarian and political dimensions of the conflict have fueled debate in the United States and abroad.

The war has killed more than 68,000 people, including about 18,000 children, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. Israel has not released any official figures on the number of Hamas fighters killed.

As Washington funds a significant share of these sales with US taxpayer money, some Western financial institutions have started taking protest measures.

Three Norwegian funds withdrew investments from companies such as Caterpillar, Oshkosh and Palantir over the use of their products in Gaza. The Dutch pension fund sold its 448 million dollar stake in Caterpillar for the same reasons.

In Europe, Germany announced in August 2025 a halt to all arms export licenses to Israel for use in Gaza. US technology companies also faced internal pressure, prompting Microsoft to restrict the Israeli Defense Ministry’s access to some of its cloud services.

Artificial intelligence on the battlefield

Alongside conventional weapons, the war created a wider arena for cooperation on artificial intelligence and digital surveillance. Palantir, owned by conservative billionaire Peter Thiel, entered a partnership with the Israeli Defense Ministry in early 2024. After criticism that its tools were being used in airstrikes, CEO Alex Karp responded by saying that most of those killed “were terrorists,” in his words.

Israel also signed pre-war agreements with Google, Amazon and Microsoft for advanced cloud computing services, and all three companies have faced growing employee protests calling for an end to military cooperation.

In an unusual twist, some of the same US firms supplying Israel with weapons also participate in humanitarian relief programs for Gaza.

The US State Department allocated 30 million dollars to the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, overseen by former Trump adviser Johnnie Moore, to coordinate aid distribution in the enclave.

The foundation hired American security contractors to protect its operations amid chaos and allegations of poor organization.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.