Lebanon: Fadel Shaker’s Tuesday Trial Seen as Test of Legal Cases

Lebanese singer Fadel Shaker - Instagram
Lebanese singer Fadel Shaker - Instagram
TT

Lebanon: Fadel Shaker’s Tuesday Trial Seen as Test of Legal Cases

Lebanese singer Fadel Shaker - Instagram
Lebanese singer Fadel Shaker - Instagram

Lebanese singer Fadel Shaker is set to appear before the military court next Tuesday to face trial in four separate security cases, “belonging to an armed group, financing the group, possessing unlicensed weapons, and undermining state authority and prestige,” sources familiar with the matter told Asharq Al-Awsat.

The sources said the head of the military court, Brig. Gen. Wassim Fayyad, “allocated Tuesday for questioning Shaker, without placing any other cases on the agenda, given the lengthy time his interrogation is expected to take.”

Security measures will be tight, the sources added, with the Lebanese army deployed around and inside the military court.

The trial will be attended by Shaker, his defense team, and a representative of the military public prosecutor. It is not yet clear whether the court will allow media coverage, with attendance possibly limited to journalists accredited to the military court.

The session is seen as a practical test for Shaker and his legal team in preparing for the trial and challenging the charges.

The sources noted that “during the first session, the court presidency will question Shaker and confront him with the evidence underlying previous absentia rulings. The military public prosecutor will also pose questions, reinforcing the seriousness of the case built against Shaker since 2013, following the Abra clashes between the Lebanese army and supporters of Sheikh Ahmed Al-Assir.”

Shaker voluntarily surrendered to Lebanese army intelligence at the entrance of Ain al-Hilweh camp on October 4, after spending more than 12 years there. At the time, he described the surrender as a judicial settlement to close his cases, though delays in scheduling the military court trial have fueled doubts.

Meanwhile, Shaker’s defense lawyers have prepared thoroughly for the session. A source close to the defense told Asharq Al-Awsat that the team “insists on proceeding with the trial without interruption or delay.”

The source said, “There is no legal justification for postponement. Shaker is the sole defendant, and with his lawyers and the military public prosecutor present, the case is complete and questioning must begin. Any delay would be unjustified.”

The source added that after Shaker’s interrogation, the court is expected to summon numerous witnesses, including Ahmed Al-Asir and others involved in the Abra events, particularly those with close knowledge of Shaker and his relationship with Al-Asir at the time.

Second Trial Scheduled

Shaker is also due to face a second trial in mid-December before the Beirut Criminal Court, presided over by Judge Bilal Dannaoui. The case, filed by Hilal Hammoud, a leader of the “Saraya al-Muqawama” group in Sidon, accuses Shaker, Al-Assir, and others of inciting his attempted killing.

The court president has already conducted a preliminary questioning of Shaker in preparation for the mid-December session.

The first military court session is expected to offer insights into the direction of the case, based on Shaker’s defense of his innocence and the position of the military public prosecutor.

It will also serve as a test of the Lebanese military judiciary’s ability to handle sensitive cases impartially, amid lingering questions over the harsh absentia sentences previously issued against Shaker.

 

 



MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.


UN Says Israeli Actions Raising 'Ethnic Cleansing' Fears in West Bank, Gaza

A member of the Salhab family weeps as he sits on the on the rubble of apartment building after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers near the Israeli settlement of Hagai, south of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, on February 18, 2026. (Photo by HAZEM BADER / AFP)
A member of the Salhab family weeps as he sits on the on the rubble of apartment building after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers near the Israeli settlement of Hagai, south of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, on February 18, 2026. (Photo by HAZEM BADER / AFP)
TT

UN Says Israeli Actions Raising 'Ethnic Cleansing' Fears in West Bank, Gaza

A member of the Salhab family weeps as he sits on the on the rubble of apartment building after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers near the Israeli settlement of Hagai, south of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, on February 18, 2026. (Photo by HAZEM BADER / AFP)
A member of the Salhab family weeps as he sits on the on the rubble of apartment building after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers near the Israeli settlement of Hagai, south of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, on February 18, 2026. (Photo by HAZEM BADER / AFP)

Israel's increased attacks and forcible transfers of Palestinians "raise concerns over ethnic cleansing" in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, the United Nations said Thursday.

The UN human rights office said the cumulative impact of Israel's military conduct during the war in Gaza, plus its blockade of the territory, had inflicted living conditions "increasingly incompatible with Palestinians' continued existence as a group in Gaza".

"Intensified attacks, the methodical destruction of entire neighborhoods and the denial of humanitarian assistance appeared to aim at a permanent demographic shift in Gaza", the office said in a report.

"This, together with forcible transfers, which appear to aim at a permanent displacement, raise concerns over ethnic cleansing in Gaza and the West Bank."

The report looked at November 1, 2024 to October 31, 2025.

In the occupied West Bank and annexed East Jerusalem, the report said the "systematic use of unlawful force" by Israeli security forces, "widespread" arbitrary detention and the "extensive unlawful demolition" of Palestinian homes was being carried out to "systematically discriminate, oppress, control and dominate the Palestinian people".

"These violations were "altering the character, status and demographic composition of the occupied West Bank, raising serious concerns of ethnic cleansing", it said.

- 'Inhumane choice' -

In Gaza, the report condemned the continued killing and maiming of "unprecedented numbers of civilians", the spread of famine, and destruction of the "remaining civilian infrastructure".

During the 12 months covered in the report, at least 463 Palestinians, including 157 children, starved to death in Gaza, it said.

"Palestinians faced the inhumane choice of either starving to death or risking being killed while trying to get food," said the report.

"The situation of famine and malnutrition was the direct result of actions taken by the Israeli government," with the deaths and suffering from hunger "foreseeable and repeatedly foretold".

Across the reporting period, Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups continued to hold Israeli and foreign hostages seized on October 7, 2023 -- dead or alive -- as "bargaining tools".

The rights office said the hostages' treatment amounted to war crimes.

"Israeli forces, Hamas, and other Palestinian armed groups committed serious violations of international humanitarian law in Gaza, gross violations and abuses of international human rights law, and atrocity crimes," the report concluded.

- Impunity 'kills' -

Last week, UN rights chief Volker Turk warned that the world was witnessing "rapid steps to change permanently the demography of the occupied Palestinian territory".

On Tuesday, Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich vowed to encourage "emigration" from the Palestinian territories.

And on Wednesday, UN Under-Secretary-General Rosemary DiCarlo warned the Security Council that steps by Israel to tighten control of areas of the West Bank administered by the Palestinian Authority amount to "gradual de facto annexation".

Thursday's rights office report concluded that considered together, Israeli practices "indicated a concerted and accelerating effort to consolidate annexation of large parts of the Occupied Palestinian Territory and to deny Palestinians' right to self-determination".

The report said there was a pervasive climate of impunity for serious violations of international law by the Israeli authorities in the Palestinian territories.

"Impunity is not abstract -- it kills. Accountability is indispensable. It is the prerequisite for a just and durable peace in Palestine and Israel," Turk said in a statement.