Families of Yemeni Aid Workers Detained by Houthis Despair for their Fate

A member of the security forces walks outside the United Nations compound following reports of UN staffers being detained by the Houthis, in Sanaa, Yemen October 29, 2025. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
A member of the security forces walks outside the United Nations compound following reports of UN staffers being detained by the Houthis, in Sanaa, Yemen October 29, 2025. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
TT

Families of Yemeni Aid Workers Detained by Houthis Despair for their Fate

A member of the security forces walks outside the United Nations compound following reports of UN staffers being detained by the Houthis, in Sanaa, Yemen October 29, 2025. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
A member of the security forces walks outside the United Nations compound following reports of UN staffers being detained by the Houthis, in Sanaa, Yemen October 29, 2025. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah

Ahmed al-Yamani's family went from joy of celebrating his daughter's wedding to terror the next day, when masked troops stormed into their home in Sanaa, Yemen's capital held by the country's Iran-backed Houthis, and arrested him.

The family didn't hear from him for months. His only crime, they suspect, was having worked for local humanitarian groups, said The Associated Press.

Al-Yamani is among dozens of Yemeni workers with aid groups, United Nations agencies and nongovernmental organizations who have been detained since last year by the Houthis in the northern part of the country. The crackdown has seen homes and offices raided, families terrorized and smartphones, laptops and documents confiscated.

Though some UN staffers have been released, most aid workers have been held for months without official charges or trials. The Houthis say they are spies for the West and Israel, claims their families deny.

Family's home raided

The Houthis burst into al-Yamani’s home on June 6, 2024, as his family was sleeping and grabbed the 52-year-old. They pointed their guns at his family members, including his younger son Abdelrahman.

They thrashed the home and confiscated all their documents, as well as the deed to the house, al-Yamani's elder son said. During the search, al-Yamani's wife and mother were guarded by five female Houthi personnel in a separate room.

“They left the house with my father in an armored vehicle and took his car,” Khaled al-Yemeni, 28, the elder son, told The Associated Press over the phone from France, where he now lives. Al-Yemeni spells the name differently from the rest of his family.

The raids, which started at the end of May 2024, saw dozens of aid workers arrested, according to a report by Human Rights Watch. For months, their families were not informed of their whereabouts and they had no contact with them, amounting to enforced disappearances, the report says.

Arrests take a toll

Dr. Ali Mudhwahi, 56 and a public health consultant with UNICEF, was also arrested in June 2024. The Houthis raided his office, interrogated him and his colleagues for hours, then blindfolded and took him away.

Eight months later, he called his family for the first time, his wife Safiah Mohammed said. To this day, she and the couple's 12-year-old daughter do not know where he is held.

Since that first call, Mohammed — who was not in Yemen when her husband was arrested — said there have been phone calls once every month or two, lasting only a few minutes.

“In the last three calls, his voice sounded exhausted," Mohammed said over the phone. "I can sense he’s not okay.”

A doctor from Sanaa told the AP that his brother, who worked with UNESCO, was arrested last year and a cousin, also a staffer for another UN agency, was arrested in September.

The Houthis had summoned the cousin for questioning several times before. One day, he did not come back, said the doctor, who also lives abroad and who spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing for his relatives' safety.

As for his brother, the doctor said the family is now allowed to call him every few months but not for more than 10 minutes.

Families have become ‘ghosts of people’ Since al-Yamani's arrest, the family has seen him once, on Aug. 16. They received instructions from the Houthis to show up at a meeting spot and were driven by bus with blacked-out windows to an unknown location.

Once the bus stopped, al-Yamani was brought in and his wife, mother and son Abdelrahman were able to talk to him for a short while. According to the family, he appeared gaunt and had lost a lot of weight, said Khaled al-Yemeni, adding that he has spoken with his father three times since his arrest.

The pain of the families over their loved ones' detentions has left many of them feeling numb.

"We're ghosts of people," the Sanaa doctor said.

Mohammed said she tells her daughter her father is away on “work missions,” something the child remembers from earlier days.

“They took the head of my family. They took our sole provider," she said. "I’m trying to hide my pain from my daughter but ... I’m worried.”

Military campaign causes more concern

The families became even more terrified when the United States and Israel launched an air and naval campaign against the Houthis in response to the group's missile and drone attacks on Israel and on ships in the Red Sea. The Houthis said their actions were in solidarity with the Palestinians over the war in Gaza.

As Israeli strikes hit residential areas, Houthi military sites and prison facilities in Sanaa and the port of Hodeida, they worried whether their loved ones were held in any of those places.

According to Hazam al-Assad of the Houthis' political bureau, those detained, including workers with international groups and nonprofits, are involved in espionage and providing coordinates and information to Israel about possible targets.

They "were in possession of advanced spying devices and eavesdropping equipment for intercepting calls and identifying locations,” al-Assad told the AP, adding that the cases would be referred to judicial authorities in time.

UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq denounced the arrests and said accusations against UN staffers are “baseless and extremely distressing.”

“Our staff are impartial humanitarian and development professionals," Haq said.

In October, the Houthis released a dozen UN international staffers after detaining them in Sanaa the previous weekend, according to the world body, which said the 12 then left Yemen.

However, 59 Yemenis working for the UN are still detained, as well as many other NGO and civil society personnel from various diplomatic missions.

Disappointed with the United Nations Al-Yamani's last job was in March 2022, with the nonprofit Direct Aid Society that has offices both in the Houthi-held north and in southern Yemen, where the internationally recognized government is based.

Khaled al-Yemeni says he has reached out to all his father's past employers, as well as UN offices in Yemen, but was told they have to prioritize the release of their own, current employees.

Yemen has been torn by a civil war since 2014, when the Houthis captured Sanaa and most of the country's north, forcing out the government. The war, which has stalled over the past years, has killed more than 150,000 people, both fighters and civilians, and created one of the world’s worst humanitarian disasters.

The UN is actively engaging with the Houthis to secure the “immediate and unconditional release and safe return of all detained," Haq said.

“We fully share the families’ goal," Haq said. "We stand with them in their frustration and anxiety.”

Al-Yemeni and Mohammed say they regularly post about the detained to draw attention to their cases. But in his posts calling for action, al-Yemeni says he is careful to appeal for sympathy from the Houthis, rather than say something that could provoke them.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.