Assad’s Chemical Weapons Remnants Threaten Civilians at Over 100 Sites in Syria

Mohammad Katoub (left) assumes his duties as Syria’s representative to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (Al-Ikhbariyah Syria). 
Mohammad Katoub (left) assumes his duties as Syria’s representative to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (Al-Ikhbariyah Syria). 
TT

Assad’s Chemical Weapons Remnants Threaten Civilians at Over 100 Sites in Syria

Mohammad Katoub (left) assumes his duties as Syria’s representative to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (Al-Ikhbariyah Syria). 
Mohammad Katoub (left) assumes his duties as Syria’s representative to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (Al-Ikhbariyah Syria). 

Syria’s newly reactivated mission to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has warned that remnants of chemical weapons left across the country pose a direct threat to civilians in more than 100 suspected locations.

The warning came from Syria’s permanent representative to the OPCW, Dr. Mohammad Katoub, who said that toxic remnants remain in areas previously struck or used for weapons production. He noted that many of these locations are close to population centers, raising fears of accidental exposure.

Speaking on the first working day of the restored Syrian mission in The Hague, Katoub told the state-run channel Al-Ikhbariyah that the Assad regime continued to use chemical weapons for 12 years. He said the most recent documented incident occurred on December 5, 2024, in the village of Khattab, in Hama countryside.

Damascus announced Katoub’s appointment late Friday, reactivating its mission to the OPCW after nearly a year of suspension. However, Katoub said that Syria has not yet recovered its full privileges and remains without voting rights, though there is a pending recommendation for review by member states.

A physician by training, Katoub worked in Eastern Ghouta during the years of siege imposed by Bashar al-Assad’s forces. Known then as “Majid Abu Ali,” he was one of the key witnesses to the 2013 sarin massacre in Ghouta, which killed nearly 1,400 people.

Appearing Saturday from the OPCW office in The Hague, Katoub revealed that the portrait of Bashar al-Assad that once hung in the mission’s office has been replaced with a page listing some of the Ghouta victims. “The wall is not big enough to hold the names of all the chemical-weapons victims in Syria,” he said.

One survivor, Majid Haiba, who was present during the 2013 attacks in Moadamiya al-Sham and Darayya, told Asharq Al-Awsat that he, his wife and daughter inhaled a toxic gas and continue to suffer from respiratory and neurological illnesses to this day.

A former conscript in the Syrian military’s chemical-warfare unit, Haiba said hospitals in Damascus refused to treat them, forcing them to flee illegally to Daraa and then to Zaatari camp in Jordan, where they met a French medical team. The team took clothing, hair and blood samples, he said, in hopes of preserving evidence.

According to Haiba, his testimony did not stop further attacks. He added that several chemical-research facilities he had identified were later struck by Israel, including sites in Barzeh, Jmeiraya, a Fourth Division facility near Damascus, and a facility in Masyaf, in Hama countryside.

Katoub said Syria has begun seeking technical cooperation from OPCW member states to safely remove toxic remnants. He confirmed that national teams have gathered information on around 100 suspected sites and have already inspected 23 of them, although more likely exist. He added that multiple ministries — including Defense, Emergency Services, Health, Justice and a transitional justice authority — are now working to secure contaminated areas, including some damaged by Israeli strikes.

Chemical Weapons Use in Syria: Key Incidents

Human Rights Watch says the Assad regime used chemical weapons on a wide scale throughout the conflict that began in 2011. Documented attacks include the first suspected nerve-agent use in Khan al-Assal in 2012; the large-scale sarin attack on Eastern Ghouta in 2013; a nerve agent strike in Homs the same year; sarin use in Saraqib and Kafr Zita in 2014; multiple chlorine attacks in Idlib in 2015; toxic strikes in Arbin, Saraqib and Aleppo’s al-Zahra district in 2016; the sarin attack on Khan Sheikhoun in 2017; and the Douma chlorine and suspected sarin attack in 2018.

 

 



Israel Says Deported 'All Foreign Activists' from Gaza-bound Flotilla

A Palestinian flag is pictured against a background of smoke grenades during a gathering against the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla by the Israeli Navy off the coast of Cyprus outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens on May 18, 2026.  (Photo by Aggelos NAKKAS / AFP)
A Palestinian flag is pictured against a background of smoke grenades during a gathering against the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla by the Israeli Navy off the coast of Cyprus outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens on May 18, 2026. (Photo by Aggelos NAKKAS / AFP)
TT

Israel Says Deported 'All Foreign Activists' from Gaza-bound Flotilla

A Palestinian flag is pictured against a background of smoke grenades during a gathering against the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla by the Israeli Navy off the coast of Cyprus outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens on May 18, 2026.  (Photo by Aggelos NAKKAS / AFP)
A Palestinian flag is pictured against a background of smoke grenades during a gathering against the interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla by the Israeli Navy off the coast of Cyprus outside the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens on May 18, 2026. (Photo by Aggelos NAKKAS / AFP)

Israel said it had deported on Thursday all the foreign activists seized by Israeli forces from a Gaza-bound flotilla, following global outcry over their treatment in custody.

"All foreign activists from the PR flotilla have been deported from Israel. Israel will not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza," said foreign ministry spokesman Oren Marmorstein.

Earlier, western governments voiced outrage on Thursday after Israel’s far-right security minister posted a video of himself taunting Gaza-bound flotilla activists being pinned to the ground, with two later alleging ​they were physically assaulted in detention.

The activists' treatment by police officers under the direction of National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir also drew a rebuke from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and from the United States, Israel's staunchest ally.

The activists, whose vessel was intercepted on Wednesday in international waters by Israeli naval forces as they were trying to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza, were expected to be deported from Israel on Thursday.

Across Europe, governments summoned Israeli ambassadors to condemn the video. Italy demanded an apology, Spain said it would not tolerate maltreatment of its citizens, and France demanded the release of all the detainees.

Britain's foreign ministry said the video "violates the most basic standards of respect and dignity for people", while Poland's foreign minister called for Ben-Gvir to be banned from entering the country.

The US Ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, said Ben-Gvir had "betrayed (the) dignity of his nation".

The outpouring of anger follows ‌the posting of campaign-style ‌videos by Ben-Gvir and at least one other minister in Netanyahu's government, transport chief Miri ​Regev, showing ‌them visiting ⁠the port ​and ⁠lambasting the protesters, attention-grabbing antics ahead of a potential early election in Israel

 

 

 


Türkiye Planning Special Flights to Bring Back Activists on Gaza Flotilla

Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan speaks to the reporters at Antalya Diplomacy Forum in Antalya, Türkiye, April 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan speaks to the reporters at Antalya Diplomacy Forum in Antalya, Türkiye, April 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Türkiye Planning Special Flights to Bring Back Activists on Gaza Flotilla

Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan speaks to the reporters at Antalya Diplomacy Forum in Antalya, Türkiye, April 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan speaks to the reporters at Antalya Diplomacy Forum in Antalya, Türkiye, April 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Türkiye is planning special flights ​from Israel on Thursday to fly out its citizens and some activists from ‌third ‌countries ​who ‌joined ⁠a ​global aid flotilla that ⁠was intercepted by Israeli forces while trying to break ⁠its Gaza blockade, ‌Foreign ‌Minister Hakan ​Fidan ‌said.
Fidan said ‌on X that all Turkish institutions were working to ‌ensure the security and safe ⁠return ⁠of Turkish nationals. Broadcaster NTV separately said Turkish Airlines has sent three planes to Israel for the repatriations.


Sudan’s Security and Defense Council Orders Curbs on Armed Movement Inside Cities

Al-Burhan chairs a meeting of Sudan’s Security and Defense Council on Tuesday (Transitional Sovereignty Council)
 
Al-Burhan chairs a meeting of Sudan’s Security and Defense Council on Tuesday (Transitional Sovereignty Council)  
TT

Sudan’s Security and Defense Council Orders Curbs on Armed Movement Inside Cities

Al-Burhan chairs a meeting of Sudan’s Security and Defense Council on Tuesday (Transitional Sovereignty Council)
 
Al-Burhan chairs a meeting of Sudan’s Security and Defense Council on Tuesday (Transitional Sovereignty Council)  

Sudan’s highest military and security authority has called for tighter controls on the movement of armed personnel, combat vehicles, and security cells inside cities and marketplaces, following reports and videos alleging incidents of “disorder” attributed to armed forces and army-aligned groups in areas recently recaptured by the military or currently under its control.

Following the Security and Defense Council’s regular meeting on Tuesday evening, Sudanese Defense Minister Lt. Gen. Hassan Daoud Kabroun said that the council had instructed the relevant authorities to regulate the movement of armed individuals and vehicles inside cities and markets, and to establish rules governing the work of “security cells” in local districts, with a focus on investigations involving those authorities describe as collaborators with the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

The term “security cells” refers to groups or units operating in support of military and security agencies. They are typically engaged in surveillance, monitoring, inspections, and intelligence-gathering activities in neighborhoods, markets, and conflict zones.

Authorities say their role is focused on “tracking down collaborators with the RSF, dismantling sabotage cells, and protecting areas retaken by the army.” Critics of the Transitional Sovereignty Council, however, describe them in social media commentary as an extension of Islamist organizations tied to the former regime, alleging that they seek to eliminate political opponents.

The Security and Defense Council is one of Sudan’s most prominent military and sovereign decision-making bodies. It includes executive, military, and security leaders, among them the ministers of defense, interior, foreign affairs, and finance, as well as army commanders and heads of security agencies. The council is chaired by Sovereignty Council President and Armed Forces Commander-in-Chief Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.

According to media affiliated with it, the council met Tuesday under al-Burhan’s chairmanship, with all members in attendance, to review the country’s security and military situation.

The council’s role in managing security and military affairs has expanded since the outbreak of war between the army and the RSF on April 15, 2023, amid the widening conflict and mounting concerns over security violations in war-affected areas.

On the military front, Kabroun said the armed forces and allied troops had achieved “major victories” in recent weeks on several battlefronts, particularly in South Kordofan, Blue Nile, and Darfur.

He added that the council stressed the importance of adherence to the law, respect for human rights and Sudan’s sovereignty, as well as the need to provide essential services to citizens returning to their areas, especially electricity and water.

Citizens’ Complaints

Residents in some army-controlled areas - particularly the capital, Khartoum, parts of Al Jazirah State, and other states retaken by the military in recent months - have complained of what they describe as growing “security abuses.”

The allegations include looting, arrests, and other violations attributed to armed groups or individuals wearing military uniforms, in addition to the widespread presence of weapons and combat vehicles in neighborhoods and markets.

Videos and local testimonies concerning these incidents have circulated widely on social media platforms, while authorities say they are working to regulate armed movements and pursue those responsible.

Independent verification of all the accounts has not been possible because of the ongoing war and the complexity of the security situation.