Egypt Source Says ‘Gaza Reconstruction Conference’ Will Not Be Held on Time

Masked Palestinian Islamic Jihad gunmen search for bodies in Nuseirat in central Gaza (AFP)
Masked Palestinian Islamic Jihad gunmen search for bodies in Nuseirat in central Gaza (AFP)
TT

Egypt Source Says ‘Gaza Reconstruction Conference’ Will Not Be Held on Time

Masked Palestinian Islamic Jihad gunmen search for bodies in Nuseirat in central Gaza (AFP)
Masked Palestinian Islamic Jihad gunmen search for bodies in Nuseirat in central Gaza (AFP)

A well-informed Egyptian source told Asharq Al-Awsat on Tuesday that the Cairo conference on early recovery and reconstruction in the Gaza Strip, which had been scheduled for the end of November, “will not be held on time and will be postponed,” citing the current escalation in the enclave and Cairo’s wish to ensure better conditions on the ground to achieve the conference’s goals.

“The conference will not take place at the end of the month as planned, and I believe it will be delayed slightly, especially since there is a parallel effort underway. It is clear that the United States intends to undertake something of its own on this issue in Rafah,” the source said, referring to what is known as the green zone in areas under Israeli control in the enclave.

He stressed that “Egypt is a major state and capable of carrying out these tasks, however it needs the right timing to secure a positive and tangible outcome for our Palestinian brothers.”

Explaining the reasons behind the delay, the source said “many countries are requesting guarantees that destruction in Gaza will not be repeated. These guarantees have not yet been secured and will not be available at this stage given the ongoing Israeli escalation and repeated violations.”

During the Sharm el-Sheikh Peace Summit, which helped secure a ceasefire agreement in Gaza last October, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi told several leaders that “it is important to hold the Cairo conference on early recovery and reconstruction in Gaza in November,” according to a statement from the Egyptian presidency.

Official Egyptian channels had previously indicated that the conference could be held in November.

According to an earlier statement from the Foreign Ministry, Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty held a phone call on October 17 with Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Mustafa that discussed preparations and details for the reconstruction conference, particularly funding and financial pledges, in addition to assessing and updating the damage in the enclave.

On November 5, Sisi reaffirmed Egypt’s intention to host an international conference on early recovery and reconstruction in Gaza by the end of the month, according to a presidency statement issued during his meeting with the president of Kyrgyzstan.

Since Sisi’s announcement, most presidential discussions, along with the foreign minister’s contacts, have touched on the reconstruction conference and ongoing preparations with several states including the United Kingdom, Türkiye, France, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Qatar, according to Asharq Al-Awsat’s review of official statements.

Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly also said in his remarks at the Group of Twenty summit on Saturday that “Egypt will host a global conference dedicated to early recovery and reconstruction in Gaza, and I invite your countries to participate in this conference,” without specifying a date.

Egypt had not confirmed a final date for the conference nor whether it would be postponed as of Tuesday afternoon, although the Gaza Strip is experiencing a significant escalation.

Since November 19, the ceasefire in Gaza has suffered a “setback,” the most serious of which occurred on Saturday, when at least 21 people were killed in Israeli strikes, according to the Civil Defense in the enclave, after Israel accused Hamas of “violating the ceasefire agreement that entered into force on October 10.”

The extraordinary Arab summit hosted by Cairo on March 4 approved a “plan for the reconstruction and development of the Gaza Strip,” aimed at early recovery and reconstruction without the displacement of Palestinians, in specified phases over a period of up to five years and at an estimated cost of 53 billion dollars.

Cairo also called for an international conference to support reconstruction efforts in Gaza in coordination with the United Nations.



Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.