US Apache Deal to Egypt Seen Boosting Cooperation, Regional Balance

Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi with US President Donald Trump in Sharm el-Sheikh last October (Egyptian Presidency)
Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi with US President Donald Trump in Sharm el-Sheikh last October (Egyptian Presidency)
TT

US Apache Deal to Egypt Seen Boosting Cooperation, Regional Balance

Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi with US President Donald Trump in Sharm el-Sheikh last October (Egyptian Presidency)
Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi with US President Donald Trump in Sharm el-Sheikh last October (Egyptian Presidency)

A planned US transfer of Apache Guardian attack helicopters to Egypt has prompted questions in Israeli media about what they described as Cairo’s expanding military edge.

Military experts told Asharq Al-Awsat that the deal, which Egypt has not yet announced, would strengthen defense cooperation between Cairo and Washington and help maintain a regional balance of power as Israel escalates its military operations with no prospect of near-term stability.

Israel’s Natziv Net news platform reported on Friday that the United States had approved the supply of ten advanced AH-64E Apache Guardian helicopters to the Egyptian army. Cairo has not commented on the report.

The US Department of Defense said on November 25 on its website that it had signed a 4.7 billion dollar contract with Boeing to produce AH-64E Apache Guardian helicopters for Egypt, Kuwait and Poland under the Foreign Military Sales program for fiscal year 2010, the year the contract was awarded, with deliveries to be completed by May 2032.

Natziv Net claimed that, given Egypt’s strained public finances, the helicopters might either be provided as a military grant to dissuade Cairo from turning to Russian or Chinese suppliers, or that their value could be deducted from Egypt’s annual 1.3 billion dollar US military aid package, which has been in place since the 1979 peace treaty with Israel. One dollar currently equals 47.5 Egyptian pounds.

The platform suggested the deal could revive an earlier Egyptian order dating back to 2018 that was not executed due to previous funding constraints, adding that once deliveries are completed, Egypt’s attack helicopter fleet would rise to nearly 100 aircraft, including 54 US-made Apaches and 46 Russian Kamov Ka-52s.

According to Boeing, it delivered the first AH-64A Apache to the US Army in January 1984.

Since then, the American military and other customers have received more than 2,700 AH-64 Apache attack helicopters. Boeing lists Egypt, Greece, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom among its global Apache clients.

Egypt's arms imports rose 136 percent between 2016 and 2020 compared with 2011 to 2016, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.

Egyptian military and strategic affairs expert Brig. Gen. Samir Ragheb said the deal is part of ongoing efforts to modernize the Egyptian armed forces, from rifles to aircraft carriers, of which Egypt has two.

He said the military requires additional US Apaches or Russian Ka-52s, describing the Apache platform as essential for upgrading Egypt’s arsenal and for maintenance, training and supply under the revived 2010 agreement.

Another Egyptian military expert, Maj. Gen. Adel al-Omda, said Washington regards Cairo as a key factor in the region’s strategic equation and a pillar of stability.

He argued the deal enhances military cooperation and regional balance as competition and tensions intensify.

Natziv Net described Egypt’s mix of advanced Western and Eastern weapons systems as worrying from an Israeli perspective, citing concerns over shifting military balances south of Israel’s border amid uncertainty over Egypt’s long-term strategic posture.

It highlighted the AH-64E’s ability to carry out precision strikes behind obstacles, destroy armored and fortified targets and hit personnel and vehicles with high accuracy day and night and in all weather conditions.

Relations between Egypt and Israel have not seen such strain since the 1979 peace treaty as they have since the outbreak of Israel’s Gaza war on October 7, 2023.

Tensions deepened in May after Israel seized the Philadelphi Corridor on the border with Egypt, along with the Palestinian side of the Rafah crossing, and refused to withdraw despite Egyptian demands.

In February, then Israeli Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi voiced concern over what he called a security threat from Egypt, noting its large and well-equipped army.

He said Egypt does not pose a current threat to Israel but that circumstances could change at any time, according to Israel’s Channel 14.

In late January, Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, Danny Danon, also questioned Egypt’s arms buildup, arguing that Egypt has no threats in the region.

A month later, Egypt’s UN ambassador Osama Abdel Khalek responded that major states such as Egypt require strong, well-equipped armies to defend their national security in all its dimensions.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has reiterated, most recently during last year’s commemorations marking the fiftieth anniversary of the 1973 October War, that the strength of Egypt’s armed forces is exercised with restraint and balance, and that the country has no hidden agenda toward anyone.

Ragheb said the Apache deal strengthens Egypt’s strike capabilities and expands its diversified arsenal, adding that Israeli questions will persist and resurface with every new military purchase.

Al-Omda said Egypt is enhancing its combat readiness to counter any potential threats while also contributing to regional stability, arguing that such Israeli concerns are recurrent and familiar.

 



Houthis Fire 5 Ballistic Missiles at Bab el-Mandeb

 Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)
Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)
TT

Houthis Fire 5 Ballistic Missiles at Bab el-Mandeb

 Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)
Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)

The Iran-backed Houthi group fired on Monday five ballistic missiles at the Bab el-Mandeb Strait in the Red Sea, days after their attacks on Yemen’s Mokha all but left it destroyed, taking it out of service.

Legitimate government media said that the Houthis fired two ballistic missiles near the al-Hamza camp in the Ibb provinces and three east of Taiz city.

The Houthis also continued their attacks on Mokha city, in the Taiz province, using rockets and drones.

The government forces continued to counter the Houthi attacks on several fronts.

In Mokha, dozens of sailors staged a protest against the Houthi attacks, calling on the international community to intervene urgently to stop them.

They urged the need to provide effective protection to marine waterways and to workers in the marine sector.

Mokha Port head Abdul Malik Al-Sharabi said the Houthi attacks in recent days left four security forces and three port staff dead.

The militants fired over 25 missiles at the facility, leaving extensive damage throughout, including vessels, the pier, and vital infrastructure, he revealed.

Sailors stage a protest against Houthi attacks on Bab el-Mandeb and the Red Sea. (AP)

He warned of the humanitarian and economic repercussions of the halt in navigation at the port, saying that some 1,300 workers have lost their sources of income.

Meanwhile, in Taiz, government forces repelled Houthi advances north of the city.

A statement from the armed forces, said the troops clashed with the Houthis, leaving casualties in their ranks.

Houth artillery strikes on northwestern Taiz left material damage, said military sources. No casualties were reported. The national resistance retaliated to the attacks.

The Yemeni Network for Victims Associations documented the killing and injury of 18 civilians in Houthi ballistic missile and drone attacks on Taiz, Marib, Hodeidah and Dhale between August 4 and 15.

During a press conference, the association said the attacks targeted homes, displacement camps and civilian infrastructure.

It called on the United Nations, its Security Council and the international community to take measures to protect civilians and hold the perpetrators accountable.

It also called for an independent international probe into the violations related to the use of ballistic missiles and drones.


Palestinian-American Returns to West Bank to Defend His Home Under Siege by Israeli Settlers

 Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Palestinian-American Returns to West Bank to Defend His Home Under Siege by Israeli Settlers

 Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Palestinian-American Louis Ridi, who seeks access to his home in the Israeli-occupied West Bank that has been encircled by militant settlers for more than a week, embraces his mother at her home, in Qusra village, Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

The Palestinian-American whose home in the occupied West Bank has been besieged by Israeli settlers for over a week arrived in the region Monday and said he planned to join other family members in defending the property.

The standoff, in the village of Qusra, has seen groups of settlers surround several Palestinian houses and prevent residents from leaving.

The United States has condemned the siege and the Israeli military has deployed troops it says are there to maintain order.

The siege of Palestinian homes by Israeli settlers comes as violence in the West Bank has soared in recent months. The settlers, emboldened by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s right-wing government, have ramped up attacks on Palestinian towns and villages, harassing residents and setting homes, mosques and fields ablaze.

As Loui Ridi, an Ohio-based owner of one of the houses, landed in Israel, settlers were still roaming near Qusra, according to video footage taken by his brother.

Qusai Abu Rida and his teenage son have stayed inside the home to protect it from the settlers.

“I’m terrified for my brother and his son and their safety," Ridi told reporters at Israel's main international airport. “And now I'm going to have to fear for my own safety.”

He said he would try to reach Qusra, which is about 10 miles (16 kilometers) southeast of Nablus, but was unsure if he would be able to enter. The Israeli army declared the part of Qusra where Ridi's home is located a closed military zone last week.

According to Palestinian health officials, Israeli soldiers and settlers have killed 87 Palestinians so far this year. Palestinians have killed three Israelis, including two who were killed in the West Bank village of Tell last month.


Israeli Flags on Lebanon Road Violate UN Resolution, UNIFIL Says

A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israeli Flags on Lebanon Road Violate UN Resolution, UNIFIL Says

A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)
A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows an Israeli flag fluttering over the burnt fields of the border village of Mais al-Jabal, burnt during Israeli military operations on August 11, 2026. (AFP)

Israeli flags planted on a main coastal highway in southern Lebanon are a violation of a UN Security Council resolution, the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon said on Monday, urging all sides to avoid "provocative actions".

Israel's military invaded a swathe of southern Lebanon during a war with Hezbollah earlier this year, occupying a self-declared security zone it says aims to shield northern Israel from attacks by the Iran-backed group.

A video posted on Sunday by Israel's Channel 12 news journalist Amit Segal showed Israeli flags flying along the Naqoura-Tyre coastal road, a primary artery for southern ‌Lebanon and a route ‌used by the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

The footage ‌appeared ⁠to have been ⁠taken from a military vehicle.

Reuters was able to confirm the location of the video, but could not verify when the footage was filmed. Segal told Reuters he was sent the video by Israeli soldiers.

Peacekeepers have observed several Israeli flags in Lebanese territory, including recently on the coastal road and in Naqoura village, UNIFIL spokesperson Kandice Ardiel said.

Ardiel said the Israeli flags were a violation of UN Security Council resolution 1701, ⁠which ended a 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah.

"As always, ‌we call on the Israeli army and all actors ‌to cease violations of the resolution and avoid any provocative action that could increase tensions ‌or trigger further violations," Ardiel added.

Israel's military, in response to a request for ‌comment, said that its forces were "operating in southern Lebanon with the aim of removing threats posed by the Hezbollah terrorist organization to Israeli civilians and troops, in accordance with international law".

"Israel is not acting against the Lebanese state or its citizens," the military said.

There was no ‌immediate comment from the Lebanese army.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said last week that Israel won't withdraw from southern ⁠Lebanon until Hezbollah ⁠is disarmed.

A US-brokered deal between the governments of Lebanon and Israel foresees a progressive Israeli withdrawal linked to Hezbollah's verified disarmament.

Hezbollah, founded by Iran's Revolutionary Guards in 1982, strongly opposes Beirut's talks with Israel and has ruled out any discussion of its weapons before an Israeli withdrawal.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is facing an October election, listed the buffer zone as a major achievement when visiting troops on June 30.

The zone is mostly empty of Lebanese civilians who fled villages that are now all but destroyed.

At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon on Saturday, the Lebanese health ministry said, some of the deadliest in weeks. The Israeli military said it struck Hezbollah infrastructure in response to actions against its soldiers there.