Egypt Signals Steady Economic Growth, but Consumer Prices Stay High

Egyptian officials inspect a retail outlet (Egyptian Consumer Protection Agency)
Egyptian officials inspect a retail outlet (Egyptian Consumer Protection Agency)
TT

Egypt Signals Steady Economic Growth, but Consumer Prices Stay High

Egyptian officials inspect a retail outlet (Egyptian Consumer Protection Agency)
Egyptian officials inspect a retail outlet (Egyptian Consumer Protection Agency)

In a bid to soften the social impact of Egypt’s economic reform program, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly pledged that his government would “focus on improving citizens’ living conditions so they can feel the gains of development and reform beginning next year.”

Madbouly’s comments, made at a news conference late on Thursday, came as the Ministry of Planning and Economic Development reported that Egypt’s quarterly growth rate had risen to its highest level in three years, reaching 5.3 % in the first quarter of the current fiscal year, 2025 to 2026.

But the ministry’s emphasis on what it described as “continued improvement” in Egypt’s economic indicators has raised questions about why this progress has not translated into lower consumer prices, especially after annual inflation resumed its upward trend last month.

Economists say growth figures do not necessarily reflect changes in living standards, adding that the numbers point to gains in the macroeconomy rather than improvements felt by individuals.

The government’s decision to raise fuel prices last month pushed annual inflation higher in October, ending four months of declines. The rate reached 12.5 % compared with 11.7 % in September, according to figures released by Egypt’s Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics.

Prices of packed fava beans, rice, oil, sugar, Romano cheese, meat, and industrial ghee all rose in Thursday’s trading, according to data published by the Information and Decision Support Center.

Madbouly said Egyptians “will begin to reap the benefits of reform and development starting next year.”

He added that his government would concentrate on ensuring that citizens feel the impact of economic reforms through better wages, stable prices, improved living conditions, and enhanced health and education services.

During the same news conference, Minister of Planning and Economic Development and International Cooperation Rania al-Mashat said the economy continued to post positive indicators that reflect the impact of structural reforms.

She said gross domestic product growth rose to 5.3 % in the first quarter of the current fiscal year, up from 3.5 % in the same period last year, describing it as the highest rate in three years.

Improvement in growth figures does not automatically mean better living standards, said Waleed Gaballah, a member of the Egyptian Association for Political Economy, Statistics and Legislation.

He said changes in prices of goods and services depend on other factors, including wage levels, interest rates, and banking policies. He added that macroeconomic gains may reach certain segments of society but not all.

Gaballah said improvements in living standards should be linked to unemployment levels and wages. He told Asharq Al-Awsat that people will start feeling the benefits when wage increases outpace inflation.

“If the government can bring inflation below 10 % next fiscal year while raising wages above that level, Egyptians will feel the gains of reform,” he said.

Unemployment in Egypt fell to 6.1 % of the labor force in the second quarter of this year, according to figures released by the statistics agency in August. The government raised the minimum wage to 7,000 Egyptian pounds, with one dollar equal to 47.5 pounds, in July.

Gaballah said that price stability in the current period is in itself an improvement given the economic challenges.

He noted that Egypt’s banking sector faces a major test at the end of this year when banks begin paying out returns on high yielding saving certificates launched in early 2024 at an interest rate of 27 %. He said the payouts could trigger significant shifts in saving, spending, and investment patterns.

He estimated that the total value of high interest certificates and deposits in Egyptian banks stood at around one trillion pounds, meaning the payout schedule will influence liquidity levels in the market.

Mahmoud al-Asqalani, head of Citizens Against High Prices Association, a civil society group, said Egyptian markets are experiencing stagnation due to declining liquidity. He said traders were selling at minimum profit margins because of weak demand.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that price declines will likely be slow, as they are linked to inflation, the expansion of domestic production, and the growth of exports.

He said improvements in macroeconomic indicators do not necessarily reflect better conditions for individuals.

He added that expectations hinge on government measures to reduce prices early next year, ahead of higher consumption during the month of Ramadan.

Egyptian exports rose 19 % in the first ten months of this year compared with the same period in 2024, while the trade deficit fell 16 % over the same period, according to data released by the prime minister on Thursday. He said the figures show the country is “moving in the right economic direction.”

 



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.