Washington Mediates for Calm Between Tel Aviv, Damascus

This photo provided by the Syrian Civil Defense, White Helmets, Syrian Civil Defense workers check a house that was destroyed during an Israeli forces raid in the southern Syrian village of Beit Jin, Syria, Friday, Nov. 28, 2025. (Syrian Civil Defense White Helmets via AP)
This photo provided by the Syrian Civil Defense, White Helmets, Syrian Civil Defense workers check a house that was destroyed during an Israeli forces raid in the southern Syrian village of Beit Jin, Syria, Friday, Nov. 28, 2025. (Syrian Civil Defense White Helmets via AP)
TT

Washington Mediates for Calm Between Tel Aviv, Damascus

This photo provided by the Syrian Civil Defense, White Helmets, Syrian Civil Defense workers check a house that was destroyed during an Israeli forces raid in the southern Syrian village of Beit Jin, Syria, Friday, Nov. 28, 2025. (Syrian Civil Defense White Helmets via AP)
This photo provided by the Syrian Civil Defense, White Helmets, Syrian Civil Defense workers check a house that was destroyed during an Israeli forces raid in the southern Syrian village of Beit Jin, Syria, Friday, Nov. 28, 2025. (Syrian Civil Defense White Helmets via AP)

The United States is exerting efforts to reduce tension between Israel and Syria, after the recent incident in Beit Jinn in the Damascus countryside, according to Israel's public broadcaster KAN News.

It said Washington conveyed a message asking Tel Aviv to exert some calm while the administration considers sending to Israel next week two envoys, including Morgan Ortagus, to support regional stability.

An informed source also told KAN that Al-Jamaa al-Islamiya members who were arrested after operating in southern Syria admitted to ties with Hamas, Hezbollah, and Iran, during an interrogation.

The detainees also admitted to receiving funding from these sources in order to arm themselves to carry out attacks against Israel, the source revealed.

Al-Jamaa al-Islamiya, largely based in Lebanon, had published a denial that it is operating in Syria. This came after the Israeli army said it killed three members of the group in Beit Jinn in southern Syria in an overnight operation on Thursday, that the military confirmed on Friday.

According to Israel’s Channel 12, the Israeli army conducted the operation in the Syrian village to destroy military reinforcements built by Al-Jamaa Al-Islamiya.

An army source said the operation aimed at preventing the group from obtaining missiles that could be used in future attacks on Israeli territory.
The channel noted that the group is a Sunni organization, but it cooperates with Hezbollah. It said Israel decided that it could no longer be ignored.

In recent months, the region witnessed additional attempts by several groups, to establish bases in the Syrian Golan Heights, with an aim to threaten Israeli forces stationed in the buffer zone or the Israeli settlements, the channel said.

“Facing attempts by terrorist organizations to strengthen its grip in Syria, Israel sent messages to President Ahmad al-Sharaa through various countries, declaring that it could no longer ignore such developments,” the channel noted.

Therefore, it said, Israel expects Damascus to take decisive measures to prevent the groups from building terror infrastructure.

Also, the Yedioth Ahronoth reported last week that after the incident in southern Syria, Israel sent messages to al-Sharaa’s government and began preparing a range of possible responses.

According to the newspaper, security officials said there is no indication so far that al-Sharaa’s people were directly involved.

They said the incident reinforces Israel’s view that it cannot allow hostile forces to entrench themselves near the border, and that there is no realistic path to an agreement with Damascus for now because Syria remains unstable.

“More than anything, this shows we must not withdraw from the areas we captured, especially Mount Hermon,” officials said.

In another report by Channel 12, a source close to the Syrian government confirmed that the Bein Jinn attack was an isolated incident, and warned that Islamist elements were trying to undermine any progress between Syria with Israel.

“The al-Sharaa regime has no interest in losing understandings made with Western countries in preparation for a security agreement with Israel,” the official noted.

The Channel accused Iran of being involved in events happening in southern Syria to prevent any security agreement between Damascus and Tel Aviv.

“The problem with Islamists is that they cooperate with other groups. Iranians, Hamas and Hezbollah do not want the Syrians and Israelis to reach an agreement,” the Syrian official told Channel 12.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.