Lebanon Appoints Civilian for Israel Talks to Avert Escalation

A UNIFIL patrol near the Israeli border in Naqoura, southern Lebanon (AFP)
A UNIFIL patrol near the Israeli border in Naqoura, southern Lebanon (AFP)
TT

Lebanon Appoints Civilian for Israel Talks to Avert Escalation

A UNIFIL patrol near the Israeli border in Naqoura, southern Lebanon (AFP)
A UNIFIL patrol near the Israeli border in Naqoura, southern Lebanon (AFP)

Lebanon on Wednesday made its most significant shift in the way it negotiates with Israel by assigning a civilian to lead indirect talks for the first time since 1983. The move is aimed at easing United States pressure and heading off Israeli threats of a wider war.

But Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu quickly reframed the step as an early attempt to build the basis for economic cooperation between the two countries, which remain technically at war.

Lebanon's presidency announced that former ambassador Simon Karam would head the Lebanese team in the committee known as the Mechanism, a forum that until Tuesday had been strictly military.

Karam’s designation is seen as a bold shift in a negotiating track that has remained exclusively military for the last four decades.

Civilians have only joined in technical roles, including experts who accompanied the military led team that negotiated the 2022 maritime border deal with Israel.

The last time a civilian headed the Lebanese side was during the May 17, 1983 talks that produced a security agreement with Israel which collapsed less than a year after it was signed.

Domestic Consensus and Foreign Alignment

The presidency framed the decision as a response to the appreciated efforts of the United States government, which chairs the military technical committee for Lebanon.

It said the appointment followed the American side’s confirmation that Israel had agreed to include a civilian in its delegation, and was coordinated with Speaker Nabih Berri and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam.

The move did not come as a surprise. The decision was taken weeks ago, and the president informed the speaker and the prime minister.

According to a Lebanese source following the process, the three leaders agreed to add a civilian expert or technician.

But the naming of Karam was announced from the presidential palace, which holds the authority to define the technical specialty, meaning President Jospeh Aoun handled the choice, expertise and biography of the nominee.

The source said the delegation had been military based to match the committee chaired by an American general.

But the addition of a civilian, in the form of United States envoy Morgan Ortagus, required expanding both the Israeli and Lebanese teams to reflect the mixed military and civilian representation.

Under the Armistice Framework

The expansion is not viewed as a step toward normalization, the source said, stressing that the indirect talks fall under the November 2024 cessation of hostilities agreement. Lebanon made its decision and has proceeded through the Mechanism since then.

The source added that the enlargement stems from that agreement, and remains within its parameters, noting that Lebanon’s negotiating ceiling will not exceed the 1949 armistice agreement with Israel.

Netanyahu Leaps to Economic Cooperation

The decision also served as a response to what Lebanese officials see as Netanyahu’s haste to frame the track as economic negotiations.

The Israeli prime minister’s office said he had instructed an acting national security council chief to send a representative to Lebanon for talks with government and economic officials as an initial attempt to lay the basis for a relationship between the two countries, which remain officially at war.

A Lebanese source denounced the Israeli statement, saying the problem with Netanyahu is that whenever Lebanon takes a step or offers something, he demands more, to the point of wanting Lebanon to surrender itself.

The source insisted the Mechanism talks are not economic.

Lebanon also fears Israel may seek to undermine the 2022 maritime boundary deal and challenge Lebanon’s offshore resources by reopening them to negotiation after Israeli officials recently warned they could revisit the agreement.

Staving Off War

Lebanon’s move was driven by political and international considerations. Sources familiar with Karam’s appointment said President Aoun acted to avert a fresh Israeli escalation and to block a renewed war, while also advancing the message he delivered in his Independence Day speech.

The sources said the coordinated step with Berri and Salam prevented a widening of the conflict, embarrassed Israel internationally by demonstrating Lebanese openness to international demands, and met the United States request to add a civilian to the committee.

The American sponsorship of the move, they added, helps deter Israeli escalation. They said the delegation is a negotiating tool but the final decision rests with the cabinet.

The aim of the talks is to halt Israel’s ongoing war and implement the principle of exclusive state control of weapons. The sources rejected the idea that the path could expand toward normalization.

They said Hezbollah now accepts that the only way forward is a settlement based on keeping the area south of the Litani River free of its weapons and removing the pretexts Netanyahu uses to inflame tensions.

Mechanism Meeting

The Mechanism committee held its fourteenth meeting after the addition of civilian participants. The United States embassy in Beirut said the session in Naqoura assessed ongoing efforts to reach a lasting arrangement for a cessation of hostilities in Lebanon.

The embassy said former Lebanese ambassador Simon Karam and senior Israeli National Security Council Foreign Policy Official Dr. Uri Resnick joined United States adviser Morgan Ortagus as civilian participants.

Their inclusion, it said, reflects the Mechanism’s commitment to facilitating political and military discussions aimed at lasting security, stability and peace for all communities affected by the conflict.

All parties welcomed the expanded participation as an important step toward ensuring the Mechanism’s work is grounded in sustained civilian dialogue alongside military dialogue.

The committee looks forward to working closely with Karam and Resnick in upcoming sessions and to incorporating their recommendations as it continues to strengthen lasting peace along the border.

 

 



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.