Sources to Asharq Al-Awsat: Tribal Clashes Behind Killing of Yasser Abu Shabab

Yasser Abu Shabab (Social Media)
Yasser Abu Shabab (Social Media)
TT

Sources to Asharq Al-Awsat: Tribal Clashes Behind Killing of Yasser Abu Shabab

Yasser Abu Shabab (Social Media)
Yasser Abu Shabab (Social Media)

Sources in Gaza said the killing of Yasser Abu Shabab, the leader of an armed militia opposed to Hamas, unfolded against the backdrop of a tribal confrontation, with two members of his own Tarabin clan implicated in the attack.

The sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the two assailants, from the Debari and Abu Suneima families, both part of the wider Bedouin Tarabin tribe, had taken part in the shooting that left Abu Shabab fatally wounded.

According to the sources, the incident occurred on Thursday and ended swiftly when Abu Shabab’s escorts shot dead the men who had targeted him.

Abu Shabab, a controversial figure who emerged during Israel’s war on Gaza and became prominent during efforts to deliver aid to the blockaded enclave, was killed after months in the public eye.

Israel’s Army Radio said on Thursday, citing security officials, that Abu Shabab, one of the most prominent tribal leaders opposed to Hamas in Gaza, died of his wounds at Soroka Medical Center in Beersheba in southern Israel, where he had been transferred after being injured earlier.

Abu Shabab’s armed group is based in Rafah in southern Gaza. In previous remarks he insisted that his group’s only link was with the Palestinian Authority, rejecting accusations that he collaborated with Israel.

He had called for renaming his militia, known as the Popular Forces in Gaza, as a counterterrorism group.

Army Radio said Abu Shabab had declared his cooperation with Israel and formed the first armed group to confront Hamas in southern Gaza. It added that he had been targeted by gunmen who opened fire on him.

A few months earlier, with the resumption of humanitarian aid deliveries to Gaza, Abu Shabab resurfaced after nearly three months of absence from the field and from his Facebook page.

Abu Shabab has frequently stirred controversy. Some Gaza residents linked his name to the theft of humanitarian aid in past periods, while others defended him and praised what they considered efforts to secure and protect aid shipments.

In May last year, he reactivated his Facebook page and announced he had resumed securing the delivery of aid to residential areas, raising questions about his sudden reappearance and the purpose behind the announcement, especially given his past association among many with aid theft.

Several sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Abu Shabab and the armed group that appeared with him in photos on his page were primarily present in areas between eastern Rafah and southeastern Khan Younis.

These areas fall under Israeli control and are inhabited only by a few dozen members of the Tarabin tribe, to which Abu Shabab and his associates belong.

Humanitarian aid began to enter Gaza last week after Israel yielded to international pressure and lifted the blockade it had imposed on aid entry on March 2 last year. A global hunger monitoring body said the blockade had pushed half a million people in the enclave to the brink of famine.

No one knows the exact size of the armed force he formed. Estimates range from dozens to a few hundred, based on images and short videos on TikTok and other social media platforms that show the group with weapons and four-wheel drive vehicles.

Asharq Al-Awsat was unable to reach Abu Shabab directly to clarify his role in the handling of aid, as all his phone numbers were switched off.

Some sources familiar with him said he was a simple young man who had been detained by Hamas police on charges of drug possession and trafficking, but escaped with other inmates after the war broke out and the bombardment intensified. The sources said he had never been affiliated with any Palestinian faction and that there was no known record of him spying for Israel. They added that carrying weapons was common among most members of the Tarabin tribe.

After some residents accused him of stealing aid, Hamas security forces raided sites he visited with his armed men in November 2024, killing at least twenty people and wounding dozens.

After reports claimed he had been killed when an anti-armor projectile struck the vehicle he used to flee, it later emerged that his brother had been inside and was the one killed.

According to some sources, Abu Shabab fled to areas very close to Israeli military positions east of Rafah.

After a period of absence, Abu Shabab reappeared in recent days as aid deliveries resumed. Videos circulated showing men said to be from his group securing aid convoys, escorting foreign delegations and accompanying Red Cross workers. The footage shows people from the Tarabin tribe speaking with visiting delegations.

Each time aid entered the enclave, Abu Shabab posted messages on his Facebook page about protecting it and transporting it to the edges of areas outside his control, which he referred to as “the other side”, meaning the de facto Hamas government.

In one recent post he wrote, “When we distributed aid with dignity they defamed us, when we stood to protect it they accused us, and here we are today appearing before the people, we the sons of this nation.”

The message was signed “Yasser Abu Shabab, Popular Forces”.

Field sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the stolen aid had not gone to Hamas. The sources said the shipments entered residential areas without protection, which contributed to theft.

When a group from the Hamas Home Front security force went to secure the aid in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza, an Israeli strike killed six of its members, allowing an armed gang to seize the supplies.

Hours later, Hamas fighters fired a projectile at the armed men responsible for the theft, killing six of them, the field sources said.

Some sources said Abu Shabab could barely write and was unlikely to be managing his Facebook page himself. This raised questions about who might be backing him, especially since he operated in areas considered extremely dangerous for Gaza residents due to the presence of Israeli forces.

In several posts, Abu Shabab referred to a media team that managed his page and handled his work professionally. In one post he not only highlighted aid protection but also called for unity and urged people to reject Hamas, which he accused of distorting the image of popular figures.

In some of his posts he referred to his group as the Popular Action Forces. On some TikTok videos, labels such as Counterterrorism Forces appeared.

Some Gaza residents, even jokingly, began calling him “Mr. President”, while others referred to him as “the state”, especially after his armed men were seen wearing military fatigues with Palestinian flags and saluting every convoy carrying visiting delegations.

Local sources said he recently helped evacuate families trapped by Israeli forces in the Amour area southeast of Khan Younis, enabling them to reach areas west of the city.

Hamas repeatedly accuses Israel of fostering lawlessness in Gaza and enabling aid theft by armed gangs.

Israeli officials have openly encouraged Gaza residents to break away from Hamas and rise up against it, which has already occurred in some areas.



Israeli Forces Shoot Dead Palestinian Man in West Bank Raid

The wife of 58-year-old Fathi Khazem, who was killed by the Israeli military as they tried to arrest him, stands at the bedroom door near a pool of his blood at their home in the northern city of Jenin, in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian West Bank on August 21, 2026. (AFP)
The wife of 58-year-old Fathi Khazem, who was killed by the Israeli military as they tried to arrest him, stands at the bedroom door near a pool of his blood at their home in the northern city of Jenin, in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian West Bank on August 21, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israeli Forces Shoot Dead Palestinian Man in West Bank Raid

The wife of 58-year-old Fathi Khazem, who was killed by the Israeli military as they tried to arrest him, stands at the bedroom door near a pool of his blood at their home in the northern city of Jenin, in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian West Bank on August 21, 2026. (AFP)
The wife of 58-year-old Fathi Khazem, who was killed by the Israeli military as they tried to arrest him, stands at the bedroom door near a pool of his blood at their home in the northern city of Jenin, in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian West Bank on August 21, 2026. (AFP)

Israeli forces shot dead a Palestinian man on Friday in the city of Jenin, in the north of the occupied West Bank, with the military saying he had attempted to stab a soldier.

Fathi Zidan Hazem, 58, "died from injuries sustained after being shot by Israeli forces early Friday in the city of Jenin," the Palestinian health ministry said in a statement, adding that his body was being withheld by Israel.

The Israeli military said a "terrorist armed with a knife attempted to stab an Israeli soldier" while troops were operating in the area of Jenin.

"The soldiers responded by firing toward the terrorist and eliminating him," it said, adding no injuries were reported among troops.

Hazem was a retired colonel in the Palestinian National Security Forces.

In April 2022, after his son, Raad Hazem, carried out a shooting spree in Tel Aviv in which he killed three Israelis and wounded several others, Israeli authorities demanded that Fathi Hazem hand himself in.

His son was shot dead by Israeli forces after a massive manhunt.

A second son, Abdul Rahman Hazem, was killed during an Israeli military raid targeting alleged militants in the Jenin refugee camp in September 2022.

AFP footage from the scene on Friday showed a pool of blood and bullets scattered among groceries in the family's home.

A Palestinian eyewitness, who declined to give her name to AFP, said Israeli forces raided her neighbor's house in the early hours and told Hazem to raise his hands, which he refused to do.

"He then attacked them with a knife, and they shot him seven times in front of his 10-year-old son. They dragged him down the stairs and took him with them," she said.

Violence in the West Bank, occupied by Israel since 1967, has surged since the Gaza war began with Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.

Since then, at least 1,098 Palestinians, including fighters, have been killed by Israeli troops or settlers, according to Palestinian figures.

Official Israeli data shows that at least 48 Israelis, both civilians and security personnel, have been killed in attacks by Palestinians or during Israeli military operations.


Ben-Gvir Publishes Video of 'Gallows Site for Hanging Palestinians'

Ben-Gvir publishes video of «site designated for hanging Palestinians» (X)
Ben-Gvir publishes video of «site designated for hanging Palestinians» (X)
TT

Ben-Gvir Publishes Video of 'Gallows Site for Hanging Palestinians'

Ben-Gvir publishes video of «site designated for hanging Palestinians» (X)
Ben-Gvir publishes video of «site designated for hanging Palestinians» (X)

Far-right Israeli national security minister Itamar Ben Gvir published a video in which he boasts about the construction of a site where Palestinians convicted of "terror" offences will be executed by hanging – without including Jewish extremists accused of similar crimes.

According to the British newspaper The Guardian, Ben-Gvir, who has previously attracted international sanctions and condemnation for his activities, said the new execution site would be equipped with viewing booths for families of victims to watch the hangings.

Ben Gvir published the video on social media of a visit he made to the site (whose location was not disclosed) while photos published by Israeli media showed a bulldozer and construction work, said to be near a prison. The extremist minister was seen pointing to the foundation work, boasting that this is where "terrorists will be executed", as he described it.

The newspaper noted that Ben Gvir earlier this year celebrated his 50th birthday in a noose-themed cake.

“I promised to worsen the conditions of terrorists in prisons – we kept it,” said Ben-Gvir in the video. “I promised to pass the Death Penalty for Terrorists law – we did. And now the death row and hanging facility are also starting to take shape.”

The Guardian stated that reports about the construction of gallows – which will be used to execute Palestinians convicted of «terror» crimes in military courts only, not Jewish extremists – come after a new law was passed earlier this year.

The law obliges military courts to impose the death penalty as the only available punishment, unless the court finds special circumstances justifying a life sentence. Practically, Jewish Israelis are protected from the death penalty under a clause that limits the law's application to murders committed “with the intent to deny the existence of the State of Israel”.

It noted that Ben Gvir – who was previously convicted of incitement to racism, obstructing a police officer in the line of duty, and supporting the banned terrorist movement “Kach” – has served as Israel's National Security Minister since 2022, with the exception of a two-month hiatus last year.

Ben Gvir is considered one of the main drivers of Israel's new death penalty law and has a long history of extremist statements and provocative actions.

The death penalty law – one of two laws passed by Israeli lawmakers this year – has drawn widespread international condemnation since its approval in the Knesset by a majority of 62 votes to 48, due to criticism suggesting it is “discriminatory”.

Commenting on the law's approval, Erika Guevara-Rosas, a senior director at Amnesty International, said: “It also dismantles fundamental safeguards to prevent the arbitrary deprivation of life and protect the right to a fair trial, and further empowers Israel’s system of apartheid, which is maintained by scores of discriminatory laws against Palestinians,” said Erika Guevara-Rosas, a senior director at Amnesty International, when the law was passed”.

In recent months, Ben Gvir has been sanctioned by France and Ireland, in addition to sanctions imposed by the United Kingdom last year. He also faced widespread criticism just a few days ago for calling for a policy of punitive killing in Gaza, at a rate of 30 to 40 people per night.

Ben Gvir said: “I think we should be doing 30 to 40 targeted assassinations per night ...There are people there who don’t deserve to live ... They are not even people”.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot on Wednesday described Ben Gvir's statements as «unacceptable and inhumane,» while German Chancellor Friedrich Merz expressed strong condemnation of «Minister Ben Gvir's inhumane calls, which violate international law”.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres also described Ben Gvir's statements as “appalling”, “outrageous”, “dehumanizing” and “dangerous”.

The video emerged amid growing wider international condemnation of Israel’s behavior, including the issuing of new tenders for the massive E1 settlement block outside Jerusalem, which was denounced by the UK foreign secretary, Ed Miliband, as an “unacceptable and destructive act” that risked separating the West Bank from East Jerusalem. He summoned Israel’s charge d’affaires in protest.

“The UK has been clear privately and publicly in our opposition to E1 and our support for a two-state solution as the only way to ensure long-term security and peace for both Palestinians and Israelis,” Miliband said. “All settlements damage that prospect and are a flagrant breach of international law.”

 


Türkiye Denies Military Presence at Abu al-Duhur Airbase Before or During Israeli Strike

A satellite image shows craters on the runways of the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Syria's Aleppo after an Israeli attack, August 19, 2026. (Pleiades Neo © Airbus DS 2026/Handout via Reuters)
A satellite image shows craters on the runways of the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Syria's Aleppo after an Israeli attack, August 19, 2026. (Pleiades Neo © Airbus DS 2026/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Türkiye Denies Military Presence at Abu al-Duhur Airbase Before or During Israeli Strike

A satellite image shows craters on the runways of the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Syria's Aleppo after an Israeli attack, August 19, 2026. (Pleiades Neo © Airbus DS 2026/Handout via Reuters)
A satellite image shows craters on the runways of the Abu al-Duhur airbase near Syria's Aleppo after an Israeli attack, August 19, 2026. (Pleiades Neo © Airbus DS 2026/Handout via Reuters)

Türkiye has reaffirmed its support for Syria’s efforts to develop its military capabilities and infrastructure and preserve its unity and sovereignty, while denying that any Turkish delegation was present at the Abu al-Duhur military airbase before or during Tuesday’s Israeli strike.

A Turkish Defense Ministry official described the attack as an attempt to destabilize Syria, undermine its security, unity and territorial integrity, and damage its infrastructure.

Speaking at the ministry’s weekly briefing Thursday, the official said any attack violating Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity was unacceptable, stressing that no Turkish military delegation had been at the base before or during the strike.

The official urged Israel to halt such “reckless” attacks and abide by international law, adding that Türkiye would continue to support Syria in building its military capabilities and infrastructure under the principle of “one state, one army.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said after the strike that Israel had warned Syria against allowing a Turkish presence at Abu al-Duhur.

“Our message was very clear: Don’t do it,” it said, adding that Damascus had ignored the warning.

The Turkish presidency rejected the allegations as “baseless,” accusing Netanyahu of promoting them ahead of Israel’s October elections and calling on the international community to curb Israeli actions threatening regional peace and stability.

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani told Axios that Damascus had previously informed Israel there were no plans to establish a Turkish military base at Abu al-Duhur, which was being rehabilitated for use by the Syrian Air Force.

Al-Shaibani said Turkish military personnel had previously visited the airbase as part of broader training and military cooperation, but denied any Turkish buildup there. The facility was largely empty and work had not yet begun, he added.

There was no intention to establish a Turkish base, permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish troops there, al-Shaibani underlined, saying Israel had no legitimate justification for bombing the facility.

He stressed that Syria remained open to negotiations with Israel on de-escalation, provided any agreement addressed both sides’ security concerns and respected Syrian sovereignty.

Türkiye-Israel relations have grown increasingly strained since Israel’s 2010 raid on the Mavi Marmara, part of the Gaza-bound Freedom Flotilla. US mediation later helped repair ties, culminating in a meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Netanyahu in New York on September 19, 2023.

Relations deteriorated sharply after the Gaza war erupted on October 7, 2023. Ankara has accused Israel of committing “genocide” in Gaza and suspended trade.

The rivalry intensified in Syria after Bashar al-Assad’s fall in December 2024 and Türkiye strengthened political, economic, defense and security ties with President Ahmed al-Sharaa’s government.

Israel, concerned about Türkiye’s military presence in Syria, previously struck the Hama military airport, claiming Ankara planned Turkish air and ground bases at Palmyra, the T4 military airbase in Homs province and the Menagh military airbase in the Aleppo province.