Islamic Jihad Denies Withholding Body of Last Israeli Hostage

An Islamic Jihad member looks on as workers dig in search of the corpses of hostages in northern Gaza. (AP file)
An Islamic Jihad member looks on as workers dig in search of the corpses of hostages in northern Gaza. (AP file)
TT

Islamic Jihad Denies Withholding Body of Last Israeli Hostage

An Islamic Jihad member looks on as workers dig in search of the corpses of hostages in northern Gaza. (AP file)
An Islamic Jihad member looks on as workers dig in search of the corpses of hostages in northern Gaza. (AP file)

Palestinian sources dismissed Israeli claims circulating over the past two days that the Islamic Jihad movement is refusing to cooperate with Hamas by handing over what Israel says is the last body of an Israeli hostage in Gaza, a step Israel has linked to moving into the second phase of the ceasefire.

Israel’s Maariv newspaper reported on Friday, citing Israeli security sources, that tensions had emerged between Hamas and Islamic Jihad over the latter’s alleged refusal to hand over the body of the last hostage, Ran Gvili.

Israel believes Islamic Jihad fighters were directly involved in abducting Gvili and holding him in Gaza.

The Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of Islamic Jihad, said days ago it had handed over all hostages in its possession and had fully complied with the ceasefire agreement, a claim confirmed by sources in the movement speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat.

According to those sources, Gvili’s body was not among the Israeli hostages held by Islamic Jihad and was instead in Hamas’ custody. They said coordination with Hamas was excellent and denied any disagreements or tensions, dismissing Israeli media reports as unfounded.

Sources from Hamas told Asharq Al-Awsat the body was believed to be located in three or four sites in the Shujaiya and Zeitoun neighborhoods east of Gaza City. Search operations were carried out at those locations but failed to locate it.

They said all field commanders and activists involved in the abduction and in guarding the body had been killed in a series of airstrikes and other operations, making it difficult to determine the exact location with certainty.

They added that the difficulty was compounded by heavy bombardment, widespread destruction and land leveling in those areas during Israeli ground incursions.

According to Israel’s Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper, Israel provided Hamas, via mediators, with information about individuals who might help identify the body’s location, as well as details on potential sites, accompanied by aerial photographs.

Hamas sources said there was ongoing communication with mediators on this issue and others.

New video raises doubts

These developments coincided with the Israeli Hostages and Missing Families Forum publishing video footage of six hostages whose bodies were found inside a tunnel in Rafah in August 2024.

The footage shows them sharing daily life, marking the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah, celebrating the start of 2024, talking among themselves, shaving and moving from one place to another inside the tunnel.

The videos raised questions about the Israeli army’s claim that they were killed two days before being found, allegedly shot by Hamas fighters. Hamas has denied that account, saying they were killed in an Israeli strike that hit the site.

Israeli journalist Miki Levin wrote in a report on Maariv’s website that the six could have returned home alive had an agreement been reached earlier, in April last year, as senior members of the negotiating team had said.

She criticized Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and ministers Bezalel Smotrich and Itamar Ben-Gvir for insisting on the notion of “total victory,” which she described as empty and unattainable.

She said the six would have been freed under a deal rejected by the Israeli government, which ignored warnings that an incursion into Rafah would lead to the hostages’ deaths.

According to the Israeli Public Broadcasting Corporation, negotiations with mediators days before their deaths were on the verge of collapse due to the Israeli government’s insistence on controlling the Philadelphi corridor. Five of the hostages were due to be released had an agreement been signed at that time.

These circumstances, Hamas sources said, likely prompted Israel to claim they were killed by Hamas gunfire.

The sources again denied that version, saying the hostages were killed in artillery and air strikes that hit the area and also killed several of their captors. They noted that captors had instructions at the time to kill any hostage if Israeli forces approached and posed a direct threat.

The tunnel was located in the Tel al-Sultan neighborhood west of Rafah in southern Gaza. The Israeli army later acknowledged that investigations indicated the hostages were killed as a result of military pressure in the area.

In October 2024, Israel killed Yahya Sinwar, the former head of Hamas’ political bureau, in a house near the tunnel site in Tel al-Sultan, in what Israeli accounts described as a surprise encounter while he was with an armed group spotted moving inside the building.

Asharq Al-Awsat reported in November 2024, citing Hamas sources, that Ibrahim Sinwar, the son of Qassam Brigades commander Mohammed Sinwar, who was later killed in an Israeli strike, had been killed alongside his uncle in one of the Rafah tunnels.

The sources said Ibrahim Mohammed Sinwar was killed in an Israeli strike as he emerged from a tunnel opening to monitor Israeli troop movements, while accompanied by his uncle, in August that year in Rafah.

Assessments cited by Asharq Al-Awsat suggest the tunnel in question was the same one where the six hostages were held. Subsequent Israeli investigations said DNA evidence indicated Sinwar had been present there.

The hostages may in fact have been killed in the same strike that killed Ibrahim Sinwar, who had accompanied his uncle Yahya throughout the war, along with other armed fighters.

Hamas sources stressed that strict instructions had been in place regarding the treatment of Israeli hostages, including providing all necessary means to keep them alive and safeguard their lives.



UN Expert Condemns ‘Torture’ of Palestinian Prisoners in Israel

 Israeli soldiers stand guard during a weekly settlers' tour in Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers stand guard during a weekly settlers' tour in Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Expert Condemns ‘Torture’ of Palestinian Prisoners in Israel

 Israeli soldiers stand guard during a weekly settlers' tour in Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers stand guard during a weekly settlers' tour in Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)

A United Nations expert on Tuesday raised alarm over the alleged "torture" of Palestinian prisoners and "potentially unlawful deaths" in Israeli prisons since October 2023.

The comments come as Israel faces growing scrutiny over detention conditions following the October 7, 2023 attack by Hamas inside Israel that sparked the Gaza war.

"Emergency measures introduced after 7 October 2023 exposed Palestinian detainees to torture, potentially unlawful deaths, incommunicado detention, and degrading conditions," said Alice Jill Edwards, the UN special rapporteur on torture.

Quoted in a UN statement seen by AFP, she argued the "number and cruelty of allegations" point to a "gross disregard by Israel of its duty to treat all detainees humanely".

Edwards said she had gathered information on 52 cases involving various forms of torture or ill-treatment, as well as 33 cases of sexual torture and other forms of sexual abuse.

Reported abuses include "severe beatings, stress positions, excessive restraints, electrocution, sleep deprivation, malnutrition and starvation" among many others.

She also expressed concern over reports of at least 94 deaths in custody since October 2023 that had not been investigated.

Autopsies in several cases revealed multiple rib fractures, skin hemorrhages and injuries to internal organs, including abdominal tears, she said.

"Behind every allegation is a human being who was wholly dependent on those exercising power over them," Edwards said, calling for "full, independent and transparent" investigations and accountability.

In a communication to Israeli authorities, she noted that none of the 1,680 complainants filed against Israeli intelligence services had led to indictments.

She urged Israel to review and revise its detention laws, policies and practices.

More than 9,000 Palestinians are currently held in Israeli jails, including 2,200 serving sentences.


Board of Peace Will Ask the UN Security Council to Press Hamas to Disarm

A Palestinian boy stands next to plastic containers on a trolley, as he and others collect portable drinking water for their displaced family living in shelters after homes were destroyed in Israeli bombardment, in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip on May 18, 2026. (AFP)
A Palestinian boy stands next to plastic containers on a trolley, as he and others collect portable drinking water for their displaced family living in shelters after homes were destroyed in Israeli bombardment, in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip on May 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Board of Peace Will Ask the UN Security Council to Press Hamas to Disarm

A Palestinian boy stands next to plastic containers on a trolley, as he and others collect portable drinking water for their displaced family living in shelters after homes were destroyed in Israeli bombardment, in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip on May 18, 2026. (AFP)
A Palestinian boy stands next to plastic containers on a trolley, as he and others collect portable drinking water for their displaced family living in shelters after homes were destroyed in Israeli bombardment, in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip on May 18, 2026. (AFP)

The body overseeing the US-brokered ceasefire in Gaza will ask the United Nations Security Council to press the Hamas group to disarm, according to a report seen by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The report by the Board of Peace, an international body set up by US President Donald Trump and tasked with overseeing the fragile ceasefire between Hamas and Israel, is expected to be discussed by the Security Council on Thursday when it meets on the situation in the Middle East.

“At this stage, the principal obstacle to full implementation (of the ceasefire) remains Hamas’ refusal to accept verified decommissioning, relinquish coercive control, and permit a genuine civilian transition in Gaza,” the report said.

Hamas in a statement rejected the report and said it contains “fallacies.”

A diplomat familiar with the report confirmed its authenticity, speaking on condition of anonymity because it has not been made public.

Trump’s 20-point ceasefire plan calls on Hamas to surrender its weapons and destroy its vast network of tunnels. It also envisions Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza, the arrival of a new technocratic Palestinian government, deployment of an international security force and the rebuilding of the battered Palestinian enclave after more than two years of war.

Board of Peace head has said the ceasefire has stalled

Last week, the head of the Board of Peace, former UN Mideast envoy Nickolay Mladenov, acknowledged that the truce had stalled since taking effect in October, saying the deadlock over disarming Hamas had paralyzed progress.

“Reconstruction cannot commence where weapons have not been laid down,” the board’s report to the Security Council says. “The critical variable — the single factor that unlocks every other element of the plan — is the conclusion of an agreement on the Roadmap for the full implementation of the plan that includes full decommissioning by Hamas and all armed groups in Gaza.”

The Palestinian group, which led the Oct. 7, 2023, attack on Israel that sparked the war in Gaza, has accused Israel of failing to meet its obligations under the first phase of the ceasefire and has sought to link any demilitarization to Israeli troop pullbacks. Israel’s military has expanded its control of Gaza since the truce took effect and now controls some 60% of the territory.

The new report calls on the Security Council to “reiterate publicly, clearly and consistently that the decommissioning of weapons in Gaza is not merely a requirement (of the UN’s resolution to end the war) but critical for reconstruction to begin, for a timebound Israeli forces withdrawal, and for a credible pathway to Palestinian self-determination and statehood to be pursued.”

The Security Council endorsed the Board of Peace in a resolution in November.

Hamas says the report tries to derail the ceasefire

Hamas said the report “contains a number of fallacies that absolve the occupying government of its responsibilities for the daily violations of the ceasefire agreement in Gaza.”

The group said the report ignored Israel’s “failure to uphold the majority of its commitments” in the ceasefire deal, including the continued restrictions on crossings into the Palestinian territory and preventing the entry of material and equipment needed to repair basic infrastructure and shelter for the largely displaced population.

“The report’s adoption of the occupation’s conditions regarding disarmament is a dubious attempt to muddy the waters and derail the ceasefire agreement,” Hamas said in a statement.

It called on the Security Council and Mladenov to compel Israel to fulfill its commitments under the ceasefire' deal's first phase, "foremost among them the cessation of the daily aggression against our Palestinian people in Gaza.”

The ceasefire has seen numerous violations The report noted near-daily ceasefire violations, “some of which are serious, and their human consequences — civilians killed, families living in fear, and continued impediments to humanitarian access — cannot be minimized.”

Israel’s military still carries out airstrikes in Gaza despite the ceasefire and has pushed deeper into the territory, where it now controls more than it was granted under the ceasefire agreement. Living conditions are dire, with most of the territory’s 2 million people living in tent camps lacking basic services.

Mladenov last week said his office is addressing violations by both sides on a daily basis. But he repeatedly cited the disarmament issue as a central sticking point, saying Hamas’ obligation to give up its arsenal is “not negotiable" and that progress on all other issues was being held up.


Israel Military Issues Fresh Evacuation Warnings for South Lebanon

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Israel Military Issues Fresh Evacuation Warnings for South Lebanon

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Burj el-Shmali on on May 19, 2026. (AFP)

The Israeli military on Tuesday warned residents of 12 towns and villages in southern Lebanon to immediately evacuate ahead of expected attacks against Hezbollah, the latest despite a ceasefire.

"Hezbollah's continued violations of the ceasefire compel the army to operate against it. The army does not intend to harm you. For your safety, we urge you to distance yourself from the area and immediately move at least 1,000 meters away," the military's Arabic-language spokesman Avichay Adraee posted on X.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency reported a new series of Israeli strikes targeting several locations in southern Lebanon on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah said in a statement that it had targeted a gathering of soldiers and vehicles in northern Israel with "a swarm of attack drones."

The Iran-backed group also claimed responsibility for new attacks against Israeli forces operating inside Lebanese territory.

The Israeli military said that following sirens in several areas of northern Israel, a drone "that crossed from Lebanon to Israeli territory was intercepted".

Since the start of the ceasefire on April 17, Israel has continued to launch strikes, carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in south Lebanon, saying it is targeting the group.

Hezbollah has also continued operations against Israeli forces in southern Lebanon and northern Israel.

On Monday, the Lebanese health ministry said the death toll from Israeli strikes since the start of the war on March 2 had reached 3,020.

The Israeli military says it has lost 20 soldiers and one civilian contractor in southern Lebanon since the war began.